The Louden: Elsewhere

Believe me there’s no where near those numbers in the north west, that’s what we have done at The Gallant Pioneer and it would be great to see some more bears from the region for live matches, People also think that Blackpool is like it was in the 70s and 80s as regards with how many Scots live here couldn’t be further from the truth these days sadly. We have around 30 “regulars” and of that 2/3 come to watch most games from Bradford and a woman and her kid from Wigan for every game so we rely on the bears down on holiday for our trade and in the summer and we ever grateful for the support we get from the Rangers family

I take your point. Been to your place a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I would say a pub in Manchester would have so much more potential footfall than Blackpool though.

Stockport County, Man City, Bolton, Burnley, Bury, Oldham all have a decent Rangers affiliation. I'm not sure if these people would be more likely to go to Manchester city centre than Blackpool for a game. My feeling is they would be.

There is also a decent number of just Rangers fans that live here, plus students and folk down here for work. We're not remotely organised and are always spread out throughout the city though. Trains leaving Manchester that go up to Home games are always full of Rangers fans.

Is the Louden not only open on the days of Rangers games anyway? I just can't see a venue in Manchester not being busy on these occasions. I don't know what would be considered a success. 100-200 in the pub for match days? As that is definitely achievable. Wirral RSC can't be far off that for the games I've been there.

If I had the money or knowledge of running a pub I would do it but I have neither!!

Thornliebank. Criminal there’s not a proper rangers pub on the high st now.

There’s a growing number of estates around this area, buses leaving from random locations like B&Q that could arrange pick ups.

I have been doing a wee bit of digging this week into most of the places people have put forward
London, 100% it would work but costs are prohibitive, nearly £300K a year for rent alone. I spoke to people I know about the other sites with Malaga being the only other one with a realistic chance of being a success, difficulty would be getting a venue big enough with a freehold
Looked at a Place in Tenerife and they were asking£1m for a place with a space of 200m
Might be better to look for a snack bar lol
Out of interest, what is the main issue with New York? Cost? Or don't think there would be enough customers? Some other reason?

In New York City the market would be for a Yankees themed pub close to the stadium. Baseball teams play a lot of games at home so the commercial opportunity is there. Not just in New York, but Boston as well.
forget boston could not compete with big sam malones pub cheers

I don't think there would be enough custom
The only place I can think of with a constant flow of potential customers who would uses it is at Glasgow Airpot. It is the perfect location for a rangers bar. I was in an airport bar in the states themed on the Redskins, sold shirts helmets etc and other such stuff as well as food and booze

There are a lot of pubs for sale in Malaga, one or two are really cheap if you fancy it
My idea would cost between£800K and £1m, so I would need to be totally convinced it would work
Are you talking about Malaga city or Malaga as in the surrounding resorts on the Costa del sol?

In my opinion .....

It's a mistake to be looking to open 'Louden Elsewhere' as another Rangers bar.

The Louden concept is outstanding. I would be looking for a well supported team elsewhere - maybe in England - where there isn't a Louden type bar and open a Louden as a sports bar for the supporters of that team.

In my opinion .....

It's a mistake to be looking to open 'Louden Elsewhere' as another Rangers bar.

The Louden concept is outstanding. I would be looking for a well supported team elsewhere - maybe in England - where there isn't a Louden type bar and open a Louden as a sports bar for the supporters of that team.
a friend of mine suggested Arsenal or Sportsbar with all the different teams

I don't think there would be enough custom

I think you'd need a more generic type of pub that caters for a wider audience on non match days. This is the advantage they have over us with their plastic paddy type of bars. They're just ordinary pubs with an 'Irish' theme until match days. Liverpool city centre is full of them. Like Celtic they're "inclusive, diverse and open to all" but we all know what they're really all about.

I thought about a Scottish bar in Canberra. One that had live music, served meals and catered for the general public. On match days however it would quite clearly be for bluenoses. Rangers' decor and memerobillia would need to be subtle and the "tunes" would not be belted out 365.

Dont know if it would work but I doubt a full on Louden would. Just look at how difficult it is for the Gallant Pioneer in Blackpool.

a friend of mine suggested Arsenal or Sportsbar with all the different teams
Sportsbar rather than one specific team i would say, the more accessible the better ie near a train station/underground as the transport links down here are really good. Obviously the more central the busier it could potentially be but with that comes the higher price/rent.

I was in the sports bar above victoria station quite a few times last season during our european run and due to having a few different games on the place was really busy so you would hope the market could be there for a well run sports bar.

Back