The Louden Tavern : Thursday

Then some idiot goes to the wrong till orders up and asks to pay with a card, your going to a pub, you know it is a cash transaction, it’s not difficult.

Nonsense. It's the modern world.
Take a trip down to the lake district. Keswick for example. Every bar has a unit for contactless. Just about every taxi in Glasgow takes card payment.

As I say it's the modern world. The days of waking up in the morning with a pocket full of scrap are over

Big Ran needs to embrace it.

Nonsense. It's the modern world.
Take a trip down to the lake district. Keswick for example. Every bar has a unit for contactless. Just about every taxi in Glasgow takes card payment.

As I say it's the modern world. The days of waking up in the morning with a pocket full of scrap are over

Big Ran needs to embrace it.
Why don't you just bring some cash with you ?

It works for Solid Rock on Hope Street, and it's always busy. You want a drink, you pay cash. I'm quite glad, means I can run out of money well after I run out of sense :D
I think once you run out of money, it's time to go home.
One of these contactless cards is dangerous, especially if your wife/husband/ Partner looks at your bank statement

I think once you run out of money, it's time to go home.
One of these contactless cards is dangerous, especially if your wife/husband/ Partner looks at your bank statement

I agree 100%, and I am single. The fear I get when I have been out using my card is staggering, lol. It's a case of "How f*cking much?" :D

I'm also a convert to cashless boozing, one bank card is all I ever take out with me. Gone are the days of lifting out a big wad of cash for a night out, pulling it out like some kind of Italian mafioso.

Obviously not telling you how to run your pub, but I really think you're missing a trick here. People run out of cash and stop drinking, but maybe they'd have more if they could also pay by card, which is extra profit for you. It's also faster to serve people if you're not dealing in cash, which again means more drinks being served I would assume. You also mentioned that you had 12 tills meaning you would need 12 units, but I've been in plenty of pubs where they have fewer units than tills so there's clearly a way to make it work.

Obviously not telling you how to run your pub, but I really think you're missing a trick here. People run out of cash and stop drinking, but maybe they'd have more if they could also pay by card, which is extra profit for you. It's also faster to serve people if you're not dealing in cash, which again means more drinks being served I would assume. You also mentioned that you had 12 tills meaning you would need 12 units, but I've been in plenty of pubs where they have fewer units than tills so there's clearly a way to make it work.
Have you been in a pub as busy as The Louden ?
We are geared for quick service and I believe this would slow us down

Have you been in a pub as busy as The Louden ?
We are geared for quick service and I believe this would slow us down

Sorry mate, but you're not going to convince me that taking cash off people and dishing out change is faster than tapping a card on a contactless unit. Not saying your service isn't fast, but maybe it could be even faster?

There's also the human error element of mistakes being made when giving out change, which I'm sure must happen quite frequently in a fast moving environment. That would never happen with contactless.

There's obviously a good business reason that nearly every pub in the land has gone down this route.

Because in the modern world young people cannot be arsed with cash you need to embrace it rather than fight it. I'm an eastender and have watched you getting your coins out the bank. Pretty soon that branch win close like all the rest.

Modern world Robert.

Join in

Sorry mate, but you're not going to convince me that taking cash off people and dishing out change is faster than tapping a card on a contactless unit. Not saying your service isn't fast, but maybe it could be even faster?

There's also the human error element of mistakes being made when giving out change, which I'm sure must happen quite frequently in a fast moving environment. That would never happen with contactless.

There's obviously a good business reason that nearly every pub in the land has gone down this route.
We have all different people serving, you think that would work ' what do you mean, I need to go to the other till, through all these people '
Bottom line is we are happy for now, not saying it will never change.

Because in the modern world young people cannot be arsed with cash you need to embrace it rather than fight it. I'm an eastender and have watched you getting your coins out the bank. Pretty soon that branch win close like all the rest.

Modern world Robert.

Join in
So you think Banks won't issue change ?

Everytime ive been in. Which is alot always been first class. Will get the usual problems as will every pub. Maybe best pm him and let him put right before saying anything bad on here.guy probably hasnt a clue if things aren't running the way he wants it atleast pm him and give him a chance to rectifying it

Reactions: jtc
We have all different people serving, you think that would work ' what do you mean, I need to go to the other till, through all these people '
Bottom line is we are happy for now, not saying it will never change.

Cordless units mate. Take unit to punter, hold it up, punter taps card.

I think I see the root of the problem here. :D

In any pub that is reasonably quiet, I think it is perfect but not suited for us

Cordless units mate. Take unit to punter, hold it up, punter taps card.

I think I see the root of the problem here. :D
Have you been in when it's busy:eek:
I'm also a convert to cashless boozing, one bank card is all I ever take out with me. Gone are the days of lifting out a big wad of cash for a night out, pulling it out like some kind of Italian mafioso.
What happens with a kitty ?

Everytime ive been in. Which is alot always been first class. Will get the usual problems as will every pub. Maybe best pm him and let him put right before saying anything bad on here.guy probably hasnt a clue if things aren't running the way he wants it atleast pm him and give him a chance to rectifying it
I don't have a problem with anyone who has a legitimate complaint

Have you been in when it's busy:eek:

What happens with a kitty ?

I think you've already made up your mind no matter what is put to you, which is fair enough mate, but I still think you're missing out on business because of this. The world is going cashless and there are plenty of really busy pubs and clubs where it works just fine.

I think you've already made up your mind no matter what is put to you, which is fair enough mate, but I still think you're missing out on business because of this. The world is going cashless and the there are plenty of really busy pubs and clubs where it works just fine.
So what does happen in your company when a kitty is needed ?

I think you've already made up your mind no matter what is put to you, which is fair enough mate, but I still think you're missing out on business because of this. The world is going cashless and there are plenty of really busy pubs and clubs where it works just fine.
Hurry up and answer about the Kitty so I can watch TV

Stop talking pish Ran.

If you could get it delivered what are you doing hauling coins into your van.
Because it suits me, I also pick up most of my booze from the cash and carry.
The way I have always done it.
Easy to get your change delivered and your takings picked up or put in overnight safe.
I take you have never worked in a cash enviroment?
How do you think the banks get their change?

FFS you must yearn for the days of the Clachan? Just beer, no freebies,
hundreds of true blues who totally loved the Rangers.

Maybe I’ll drink in your pub one day. Just too old.

You'll need to embrace it Robert.

I'm in the same game as you and my card transactions are now at least double/treble my cash transactions. A portable card reader by bluetooth on a charging station would work just fine and hold up for the punter to 'tap'.

When working out cost, remember that you are charged for change orders, debiting cash and the time for counting it and going for the change and setting up tills.

I've had a few staff pocketing tenners and twenties.....I've never had them pocket a card receipt.

Once you take card payments, you'll turn into a believer that it's the future. Just like i did.

I'm in the same game as you and my card transactions are now at least double/treble my cash transactions. A portable card reader by bluetooth on a charging station would work just fine and hold up for the punter to 'tap'.

When working out cost, remember that you are charged for change orders, debiting cash and the time for counting it and going for the change and setting up tills.

I've had a few staff pocketing tenners and twenties.....I've never had them pocket a card receipt.

Once you take card payments, you'll turn into a believer that it's the future. Just like i did.
I have no doubt that we will one day, but until they stop wasnting to rip me off with there cost of the units, I won't be changing.
Plus it is not an issue for us.
Ps bank charge you for every penny through your account, cash or otherwise

I'll say it again, the Louden is far too busy prematch to be running about with card reader

Each server can have their own card reader.

I get it. You're set in your ways and fighting the future, which is fine. I was the same but now I would accept every transaction by card. Well, maybe not every one, we all need a wee bit of cash now and again in the sock fund.

Each server can have their own card reader.

I get it. You're set in your ways and fighting the future, which is fine. I was the same but now I would accept every transaction by card. Well, maybe not every one, we all need a wee bit of cash now and again in the sock fund.
We would need 36 card readers, how many do you have ?

Yes, serving from 4 bars.
We have 126 fonts, 315 spirits on Optics,32 Fridges and
6 beer dumps.We also have 2 cellars.
I take it you have never been in The Louden ?
We also have 16 Coolers for the Pythons

Maybe you could at least introduce it for non match days, where you wouldn't need so many units. Start with a few and see how it goes.

Back