The Loving cup

I remember the first loving cup ceremony I was at. It was back in the day when Donald Findlay was still there and he done the ceremony. We were playing Celtic that day and all their directors were there as the bold Donald lifts the cup announces, The Queen, takes a sip and immediately burst into the national anthem before he hands it round.
Have to say I had a wee chuckle watching their faces. Great days.

Is it invite only or can u buy a place at the ceremony?
No Mathers it is held in the Blue Room so you must be a guest to be part of it.
I wasn’t anything special I have been just fortunate to have had friends who worked at a high level at the club. I have been at it a number of times but that one just stood out as I was the first time I had there and it was Celtic and Findlay was loving every minute of it.

is this first yr they’ve put lemonade in it?

Hopefully the first and last . Fcking lemonade , Jesus wept .

Also someone needs to have a word with Ross Wilson , his behaviour at a traditional ceremony is childish at best , ruined it for me and many others watching . He isn’t at Southampton now ffs .

I'd be that terrified I dropped it I wouldn't want a drink.

It's a great tradition, it's sad that men like jock Wallace, John Greig, Walter Smith etc drank out of the same cup as whyte and the wigs.
Whyte probably had it valued about cheap grouse in it with Aldi lemonade .

Great watch that. Question, if your doing the top hospitality at that game as a paying fan, do you get invited in? If your in the Thornton sweet.

I'd much prefer that we didn't video everything if I'm honest, in particular this celebration and the wreath laying for the Ibrox Disaster.

Vitally important we carry out such ceremonies but a few still pics of each event would suffice, this filming of such like only opens up such proud traditions for ridicule and mockery.

I'd much prefer that we didn't video everything if I'm honest, in particular this celebration and the wreath laying for the Ibrox Disaster.

Vitally important we carry out such ceremonies but a few still pics of each event would suffice, this filming of such like only opens up such proud traditions for ridicule and mockery.

Never apologise or be ashamed of who we are or what we do

Good thing about playing septic in December is we don't need to invite them to the ceremony. Although it must rankle with them having to sing THE National Anthem.

My favourite one was when we showed the ceremony at half time on the big screen versus Aberdeen. The mutton molesters were giving it “what the effin hell is that” not realising that their board were about to be shown drinking out of it. Once they realised they shut up pronto amid loads of cheers from us bears

why care what others think

Loved watching that.

It's great that we still have traditions that don't die out. It was lovely to see Stranraer embrace it especially in their 150th year. They seem like a lovely wee club.

why care what others think

Others?

I've read on this Board today comments like Wilson has been on the drink, comparisons to Norman Wisdom, John Greig not drinking because the guy before him had a cold sore, the scandal of adding lemonade etc.

Only a bit of banter I know but for me personally I'm happy to know the tradition continues, and a toast is raised to Her Majesty.

This is an amazing tradition and again what sets us apart. I am always nervous, when the cup is handed over and it’s full and heavy, that someone will drop it.

Nah I like that we do. No everyone can make this things and we have a lot of fans all over world

Back