The Loving cup

We last hosted them at Ibrox first game in January 2011. I assume they participated in the ceremony but unlike today with the explosion of media content from the club it would not have been filmed, so would have remained private to those in the blue room.

Interestingly we are due to host the "New Year" fixture next season and the weekend falls on the 2nd/3rd January.

After the last 9 years and the current mindset of the Celtic support there is no way the Celtic board will be a part of this, not when we film it and spread it widely online. Their support would crucify them.

With their continued influence, brace yourself for a nighttime kick off midweek fixture on the 29th or 30th December next season.

Guaranteed.

Bookmark this Mate. Some might call you paranoid. They’d be wrong.

My old man and the majority of my family were a miners so was interested in the story. When I did the tour I noticed a vase type ornament with an emblem of a miner on it, black thing it was. Turns out we got presented it from a Polish club and was made from coal. The name of the team escapes me...maybe somebody could help.

We last hosted them at Ibrox first game in January 2011. I assume they participated in the ceremony but unlike today with the explosion of media content from the club it would not have been filmed, so would have remained private to those in the blue room.

Interestingly we are due to host the "New Year" fixture next season and the weekend falls on the 2nd/3rd January.

After the last 9 years and the current mindset of the Celtic support there is no way the Celtic board will be a part of this, not when we film it and spread it widely online. Their support would crucify them.

With their continued influence, brace yourself for a nighttime kick off midweek fixture on the 29th or 30th December next season.

Guaranteed.

I doubt there will be fixtures on that weekend - winter break

Cracking video. I remember a couple of seasons ago we played Aberdeen and the loving cup was on the big screens and they started chanting “ what the fucken hell is that?”. Just at that the camera swings round at the bold Craig Brown is drinking out of the cup and toasting her majesty. They where fuming classic giruy moment.

Perhaps I am mistaken but hasnt it always been said that we were given Stoke City’s’ actual Loving Cup rather than the last remaining one?

Found this on the Owls Talk SWFC forum
#
The Loving Cup was commissioned by the then Stoke City chairman, Sir Francis Joseph, to commemorate the coronation of King George VI. Of the 30 cast, 22 were given to English League clubs that finished the 1936/37 season( of which Sheffield Wednesday were one, think we got relegated that season), 2 were given to the clubs who gained promotion that year, one to the SFA on the occasion of the Britain v Rest of Europe match at Hampden Park, the English FA, the English Football League,the King himself and Glasgow Rangers.

Rangers were gifted Stoke's cup after travelling to Stokes City’s stadium which was then the Victoria Ground. 30,000 fans saw a the teams play out a 0-0 draw. The match was to raise funds for the dependants of the victims of the tragic Holditch Colliery disaster, near Stoke. 30 miners were killed and 8 were injured due to a fire and subsequent explosions on the 2nd July, 1937. After the match had finished, as a token of appreciation, Stoke City chairman Sir Francis Joseph gave Rangers their Loving Cup. He had 1 request being that it should be used to toast the health of the reigning monarch prior to the clubs first home match of every New Year.

It is thought that there are only 5 Loving Cups’ left in circulation. Chelsea’s cup is in their museum, Stoke City got a replacement for the one they gifted to Rangers and Grimsby Town, Everton and Rangers still have theirs. Out of the 5 clubs, Rangers, Stoke City, Everton & Grimsby Town still to this day, toast the health of the reigning Monarch before the first home game of the new season.

My old man and the majority of my family were a miners so was interested in the story. When I did the tour I noticed a vase type ornament with an emblem of a miner on it, black thing it was. Turns out we got presented it from a Polish club and was made from coal. The name of the team escapes me...maybe somebody could help.
think it might have been Katovice who we played in Europe a number of years ago

think it might have been Katovice who we played in Europe a number of years ago

yes gifted from Katowice when we played them in 1988, Katowice Vase craved out of solid coal

Also reading the Everton site about their Loving Cup ceremony they mention their cup is number 15,
anyone know the number of ours? As it was originally Stoke's could it be number 1 or would that have gone to the King?

Great to carry on such a tradition in this modern world when so much is forgotten and binned to the history books.
Must’ve been a great honour for a club like Stranraer to have been part of such a historic ceremony.

Especially as it’s rumoured that it was either them or Clyde that voted against us joining the sfl back in the dark days.

Surely a health and safety matter?
I haven't seen the like since I was a young serviceman sharing a metal fire bucket of a brown alcoholic beveridge of rather questionable identity, with a dozen or so other dubious drunks whom I am not actually sure were being particularly hygienic when it came to their slurp.
I hope Mr Gerrard gave his gub a good wipe with his sleeve.
There is no disease amongst the Ibrox heirarchy.

Its another one of those traditions that set us apart. I love telling the story of the loving cup if the opportunity comes up.

many : 5088402, member: 4944"]
I felt like I was watching a Norman Wisdom movie when he appeared on the screen.
[/QUOTE]
I mentioned last night he looked like a wee boy amongst men.

#
The Loving Cup was commissioned by the then Stoke City chairman, Sir Francis Joseph, to commemorate the coronation of King George VI. Of the 30 cast, 22 were given to English League clubs that finished the 1936/37 season( of which Sheffield Wednesday were one, think we got relegated that season), 2 were given to the clubs who gained promotion that year, one to the SFA on the occasion of the Britain v Rest of Europe match at Hampden Park, the English FA, the English Football League,the King himself and Glasgow Rangers.

Rangers were gifted Stoke's cup after travelling to Stokes City’s stadium which was then the Victoria Ground. 30,000 fans saw a the teams play out a 0-0 draw. The match was to raise funds for the dependants of the victims of the tragic Holditch Colliery disaster, near Stoke. 30 miners were killed and 8 were injured due to a fire and subsequent explosions on the 2nd July, 1937. After the match had finished, as a token of appreciation, Stoke City chairman Sir Francis Joseph gave Rangers their Loving Cup. He had 1 request being that it should be used to toast the health of the reigning monarch prior to the clubs first home match of every New Year.

It is thought that there are only 5 Loving Cups’ left in circulation. Chelsea’s cup is in their museum, Stoke City got a replacement for the one they gifted to Rangers and Grimsby Town, Everton and Rangers still have theirs. Out of the 5 clubs, Rangers, Stoke City, Everton & Grimsby Town still to this day, toast the health of the reigning Monarch before the first home game of the new season.

#

Pm

A great tradition, and one not forgotten by Stoke, I've been to a few games over last few years and you can buy Stoke / Rangers badges in their club shop, I have one from last visit. Not sure we make the most of these historic ties, same with the Arsenal, we had a great relationship with them on and off the park (for those of us on the square) but not sure we made the most of that either.

Surely a health and safety matter?
I haven't seen the like since I was a young serviceman sharing a metal fire bucket of a brown alcoholic beveridge of rather questionable identity, with a dozen or so other dubious drunks whom I am not actually sure were being particularly hygienic when it came to their slurp.
I hope Mr Gerrard gave his gub a good wipe with his sleeve.

We used to have a quaich on one of my Sqn's. The OC's Mrs made sausage rolls... bits of flob and pastry floating on the specific Speyside single malt every Officer and SNCO had to buy when posted in/out. Delicious!

I reckon this is why the Ne'erday fixture is now always before the 1st January.
I speculated about this a while ago. I am not convinced that it is coincidence that the fixture has effectively been brought forward a few days at a time when the people running that club appear to be more mired in bitterness and pettiness as has ever been the case in my lifetime.

many : 5088402, member: 4944"]
I felt like I was watching a Norman Wisdom movie when he appeared on the screen.
I mentioned last night he looked like a wee boy amongst men.
[/QUOTE]
As did I. Sure he’s good at his job but...

The video on twitter of the mentally challenged board taking part is too funny. Full blow GSTQ

Love this tradition & ceremony, but please please please, never put lemonade in a lovely malt whisky ever again.

I was appalled when I heard Robertson saying “ it’s glenmorangie and lemonade “ ffs , always assumed they just poured the bottle of whisky in the past . Whisky and lemonade somewhat dilutes the tradition in more ways than one . What is he thinking? Be a man and take a sip of whisky ffs . Lemonade , dear god .

As for those on this thread criticising the tradition - very suspicious indeed of your comments .

Back