The mad mental Danish bloke who built a submarine

He'll probably agree to involuntary manslaughter or the Swedish equivalent.

Thats got to be up there as one of the worst excuses ever, did her legs, arms and head 'fall off' too?

Always wondered...If you killed someone in international waters on your own boat/submarine, would you get done for it and who would do you?

There's currently a case just now about some English lassie who went missing from a cruise ship. The cruise company say she jumped / was washed overboard - her parents claim she was murdered.

Investigation hampered by the fact it happened in international waters but the consensus seems to be that whichever flag the ship comes under - conducts the investigation before handing it over to whichever police force where the victim lived.

I'm on a submarine mission for you baby
I feel the way you were going
I pictured you up on my TV screen
I feel your undercurrent flowing
Submission going down down
Dragging me down
Submission I can't tell ya what I've found

You've got me pretty deep baby
I can't figure out your watery love
I gotta solve your mystery
You're setting it out in heaven above

There's currently a case just now about some English lassie who went missing from a cruise ship. The cruise company say she jumped / was washed overboard - her parents claim she was murdered.

Investigation hampered by the fact it happened in international waters but the consensus seems to be that whichever flag the ship comes under - conducts the investigation before handing it over to whichever police force where the victim lived.
I guessed that on a company owned ship like a cruise liner there would be some kind of jurisdiction or international agreement but out on the open sea you would not have been in a country to break it's laws, so who would arrest you? If a Brit is murdered abroad, the British police have no right to arrest the murderer.

Owning a private ship is routine and does not preclude your ship from being claimed by your state, and thus all of your state's laws from applying. If you want to sail a ship without nationality, your first hurdle will be to make your state relinquish its claim on the ship — the normal route for that being to register it in another state. Merely omitting registration formalities and not flying the flag might cause you to forfeit the protection that it would bring but will not alleviate the constraints of the laws of your state.

If you manage to obtain a ship without nationality, then apart from a few prohibited activities as mentioned above you can do whatever you like on it. You can murder, but not trade drugs. You'll have essentially no protection, so your ability to survive a life of crime will rest on your ability to hide, or on being too unimportant for anyone to bother.

For anyone who cares....If you build yourself a boat and do not register it, or buy a completely unregistered one, you can kill on the high seas!

The guy is meant to be some sort of genius and this is all he could come up with?

What I found surprising was that he actually managed to have it funded by crowdfunding. I understand people donating to charities etc - but some crackpot building a submarine in his garage :confused:o_O

Back