The Magic Ball Theory

giphy.gif

5qa7B2n3MCJOEr1m87JbxC8lzU4.jpg

A picture speaks a thousand words, doesn't it? UEFA thought they had an open-and-shut case. Three shots, one result. But two unpredictable things happened that day that made it virtually impossible. One, the eight-millimeter home movie taken by Rob McLean while standing near the grassy knoll. And two, the penalty taken by James Tavernier, who had a free shot at goal in the first half. The time frame, 93 minutes established by the McLean film, left no possibility of a fourth shot. So the shot taken by Tavernier had to come from one of the three shots fired from the feet of the Rangers players. That leaves just two shots. And we know one of them was saved by the Standard Liege goalkeeper. So now a single shot remains. A single shot now has to account for the final result being 0-2.

But rather than admit to a conspiracy or investigate further, the Gerrard Commission chose to endorse the theory put forth by an ambitious junior counselor, Neil McCann, one of the grossest lies ever forced on the bheggars. We've come to know it as the 'Magic Ball Theory.' The magic ball breaks from the Rangers defence from Glen Kamara headed forward at an angle of 17 degrees, twist number one. It then moves sideways in order to leave one Liege player standing body from the front of his foot -- twist number two -- where it waits 1.6 seconds, presumably in mid-air, where it turns right, then left, right, then left, and continues onto another Liege player's body at the rear of his right heel --twist number three. The ball then heads forward again at an angle of 27 degrees, at the right side of his chest -- twist number four. The ball then turns right between two Liege players and re-enters Roofe's' control onto his right foot -- twist number five. A small skip on the sodden surface , then the ball leaves Roofe's right foot-- twist number six -- makes a dramatic aerial flight at high velocity -- twist number seven -- from which it later falls and is found in almost 'pristine' condition in the back of Standard Liege net at the Stade Maurice Dufrasne. That's some ball. Anyone who's been in football will tell you never in the history of goal scoring has there been a ball this ridiculous. Yet UEFA says it can prove it, with some fancy physics in a nuclear laboratory. Of course they can. Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy but use your eyes -- your common sense. The Long Range "experts" at Lennoxtown fired some comparison balls and not one of them looked anything like this. Take a look at Mitre Delta 1982, an identical sized ball fired through the legs of a new signing. No comparison. They just couldn't do the shoot.
Then take a look at the movement of the Liege goalkeeper on the point of impact. It's impossible to believe that a ball, any ball no matter how magic, could have come from that angle at that distance.
Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back and to the left.
Must have been another ball therefore a UEFA conspiracy.
Nnnnnnuuuuurrrsssee!

Well, I read through the Battery of criticism ER, and the appropriate gifs aside, me-thinks they are harsh...... suggestions of acid-inspired delivery, whether alkaline or ni-cad, are always going to haunt you, especially in this current climate. Re-charge and go again.

your dry and whimsical take on a recent magical event appreciated by this bear ;)
I was going to make a video with a flip chart, drawings, pointer an'all but my daughter left her easel at her uni digs.
Lucky escape for me and the FF punters there!!

The two ends of the spectrum of this thread...

The relentless piss takers / gif-ers.

The folk suggesting creativity and a highbrow nature while alluding to the piss takers being thick because they haven't watched a Kevin Costner film.

Brilliant.

:D

The two ends of the spectrum of this thread...

The relentless piss takers / gif-ers.

The folk suggesting creativity and a highbrow nature while alluding to the piss takers being thick because they haven't watched a Kevin Costner film.

Brilliant.

:D
I think everyone knows it's from JFK buy it's just a weird post :))

its clearly a parady based on the rambling of that lots fans ..
They were the inspiration.
Twitter feeds all over the World claiming the best goal ever.
Bheasts in meltdown, but how, how can a Rangers player score the best goal ever? They don't exist they're deed etc and the best ever "how can their best player come off injured and then the pitch ends up more waterlogged on that side. it just can't be luck"
No it's not timbo it's the Magic Ball o_O

Well %^*& me. Have I now got to go sit through 3 hours of JFK to get the full underwhelming experience of this post?
It is a clever post and I appreciate it, so basically reading between the lines

1. It means it is an unbelievable wow moment
2. How did he manage to do that seemingly impossible thing
3. Magic bullet is analysing every ball movement from start to finish
4. "That GOAL" will be spoken about for years to come and people will remember where they were, what they were doing and how it made them feel at the time whilst others in the future will be comparing it as the greatest goal ever scored to other new goals!

JFK is well worth the watch anyway lol

Greatest goal I've ever seen was worth the 10 minutes or so it took.
If it raises one smile in the current climate then job done.
Off out for a f*cking pint now ( I live in an unaffected area, for now)
Worked for me OP. We’ll done!

Read the first paragraph and skipped to comments to see if there was either something wrong with my understanding, or something fundamentally wrong with the OP. Thankfully it is the latter.
What a load of drivel.o_O:p

A picture speaks a thousand words, doesn't it? UEFA thought they had an open-and-shut case. Three shots, one result. But two unpredictable things happened that day that made it virtually impossible. One, the eight-millimeter home movie taken by Rob McLean while standing near the grassy knoll. And two, the penalty taken by James Tavernier, who had a free shot at goal in the first half. The time frame, 93 minutes established by the McLean film, left no possibility of a fourth shot. So the shot taken by Tavernier had to come from one of the three shots fired from the feet of the Rangers players. That leaves just two shots. And we know one of them was saved by the Standard Liege goalkeeper. So now a single shot remains. A single shot now has to account for the final result being 0-2.

But rather than admit to a conspiracy or investigate further, the Gerrard Commission chose to endorse the theory put forth by an ambitious junior counselor, Neil McCann, one of the grossest lies ever forced on the bheggars. We've come to know it as the 'Magic Ball Theory.' The magic ball breaks from the Rangers defence from Glen Kamara headed forward at an angle of 17 degrees, twist number one. It then moves sideways in order to leave one Liege player standing body from the front of his foot -- twist number two -- where it waits 1.6 seconds, presumably in mid-air, where it turns right, then left, right, then left, and continues onto another Liege player's body at the rear of his right heel --twist number three. The ball then heads forward again at an angle of 27 degrees, at the right side of his chest -- twist number four. The ball then turns right between two Liege players and re-enters Roofe's' control onto his right foot -- twist number five. A small skip on the sodden surface , then the ball leaves Roofe's right foot-- twist number six -- makes a dramatic aerial flight at high velocity -- twist number seven -- from which it later falls and is found in almost 'pristine' condition in the back of Standard Liege net at the Stade Maurice Dufrasne. That's some ball. Anyone who's been in football will tell you never in the history of goal scoring has there been a ball this ridiculous. Yet UEFA says it can prove it, with some fancy physics in a nuclear laboratory. Of course they can. Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy but use your eyes -- your common sense. The Long Range "experts" at Lennoxtown fired some comparison balls and not one of them looked anything like this. Take a look at Mitre Delta 1982, an identical sized ball fired through the legs of a new signing. No comparison. They just couldn't do the shoot.
Then take a look at the movement of the Liege goalkeeper on the point of impact. It's impossible to believe that a ball, any ball no matter how magic, could have come from that angle at that distance.
Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back and to the left.
This guy used to write the cryptic clues for 321 :))

Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back and to the left.
Nurse!!!!!

Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back and to the left.
Hey ER how you doing?

I thought about opening a thread about why I choose this as the greatest goal ever scored then decided against as there were a few good threads anyway!

I have spent days analysing Maradonas goal of the century, my fav goal of all time Archie Gemmills and "That GOAL" Roofe scored I have come to the conclusion "That GOAL" Is the greatest goal ever scored with Archies whom I had for 42 years believed the best I had ever seen until now put in to 2nd place! This was my end conclusion and my reasoning and answer to barneybear and my thoughts have just been enhanced after seeing another angle on twitter where Roofe had to tackle a player to win the ball at the beginning of his run!

@EuropaLeague
and 2 others

He took the ball off the first then nutmeg the 2nd and fended 2nd off twice shielding whilst twist and turns, flicked round 3rd, looked up saw goalie position, a little skip then boom ball into the net followed by the goalie add pitch condition! The greatest goal ever scored imo!

Links

barneybear said:
Are we talking only of Scottish related goals though?
My personal favourite is Maradonna waltzing through a defence and leaving them all on their arse.
Roofe's goal is now my second favourite!

Oh, btw, I am 73

I could be wrong but I watched that game between England and Argentina as a 15 year old and what struck me before that goal he scored was that he went down easily a lot when tackled and gained quite a few fouls! This may have set the mindset of the English defenders?

It didn't occur to me then that he was a speedy wee character and the slightest of touches can easily knock these types of players off balance!

Athough it was a great goal I had been left with the feeling that there were some half hearted tackles going in from the English players, indeed no.16 made no attempt to tackle and didn't really bust a gut near the half way line when he still had a chance? Then the no.6 who had the second chance to tackle was slow no real conviction a very lame attempt and then the 3rd defender from the Centre Half position was another non hearted attempt basically never took the chance to tackle imo! By then the no.6 had got back for a 2nd chance that was lame as his 1st as Maradona was scoring past the keeper!

I then compared Archie Gemmills goal where he picked up the break of the ball and had to evade 3 quickfire committed tackles that left the defenders on the deck before delicately chipping the ball into the net!

Had a quick look again at both and I still would have chosen the same way! No bias had Maradona scored Archies goal it would still have been the greatest goal I had ever seen!

You describe Maradonas run as waltzing and left all players he beat on their arse (only two went to ground 1 of the 3 defenders and the goalie) I would say if anyone was waltzing by players and left them on their arses then it was Archie where 3 defenders who actually tackled him and the goalie all ended up on the grass but I respect your choice Barney, we have both seen many brilliant goals and great players for that matter!

42 years ago Archie Gemmill scored imo the greatest goal of all time and I did not believe it could be bettered nor could I understand why others could not see or felt what I believed but you get to learn people have their own reasons, thoughts, likes, dislikes even prejudices and bias at times so no wonder people have many different choices lol!

Well I was torn between a goal I believed to be the greatest goal of all time, one that I have loved for 42 years and very proud it was scored by a Scotsman playing for Scotland, one I will never forget nor that one scored on Thursday!

Now to Thursday and "That GOAL!" phew well
Being torn between what I just saw and my goal of all time I had to do what I did and go through every step and take weather and pitch conditions into consideration in reassessing what is my no.1!

Firstly Roofe had to tackle and win the ball! Then an outrageous heel nutmeg whilst being tackled by a 2nd player, adding that to the twist and turns, fending off a further two tackles from the 2nd defender before flicking ball round 3rd defender and having the awareness to look up for the keeper before the skip then unleashing the unthinkable in unimaginable pitch conditions to score such an insane goal leaving both the ball followed by the goalie into the net and to see it happen is a wow moment!

Yes some will try to dilute the goal through tinted glasses and blame the goalkeeper for being off his line but reality is nobody could have envisaged or predicted in the next 8 seconds that 3 players were about to be taken out by skill and determination of one player who was about to perform an act of footballing magic that will have many proclaiming as the greatest goal they have ever seen self included and it will be talked about for years!

Yep for me at this time it is the greatest individual goal I have seen so far and it has taken 42 years to topple Archie Gemmills goal as my greatest goal ever scored!

"That GOAL" not only had me in disbelief but left me uncontrolled teary eyed with laughter and screaming WOW wow wow!

Thats 3 of greatest goals but only two out of the 3 pulled the teary eyed laughter and joy of emotions however Roofe's just hit another level from Archie's goal! It takes a special kind of goal to do that!

Barney all I can ask is in determining your greatest goal did you get the wow factor?[/USER]

Last edited:
Back