The majority of these players cannot be allowed to continue into next season.

I think Gerrard has it all to prove which I'm sure the man himself would admit.

How many of the current squad do you have absolute confidence in to get the job done if we're in a similar situation next January?
It doesn’t really matter what I think. The manager is here to stay and he has a squad to get the job done. He may add to the squad depending on sales this summer. What I will say is that I hope the manager stays and if you feel differently then you’d better think about what the alternative might be.

Tav has been a bombscare for season going way back to to the hibs cup final, you cant win things when you have players who on a regular make horrendous costly mistakes, and by the way Goldson is not free of mistakes either.
Fucking no lady's front bottom is free of mistakes in this league, thats why everyone is in it. There has been plenty mistakes from all of the mentally challengeds backline this season.

Absolute nonsense to suggest these players can't form the basis of our team for next season. What we need is a couple of guaranteed starters signed in the summer.

The problem for me is that we're essentially playing with the same starting 11 as last season. Not enough contributions from our summer signings.
It's not nonsense at all.

There's a core you'd be trusting with the pressure of a title race in the knowledge they were on for a hat-trick of collapses.

I kinda know what the OP is getting at.

Every team has a core of 4 or 5 players who essentially run things. When we last won the title it was McGregor, Weir, Davis and Naismith. For the current squad, you're looking at McGregor, Goldson, Tav, Davis and Jack.

In terms of quality, these players are more than good enough. But mentality? If we let them do another treble, then clearly there is something off there. Would I replace them all in the summer? Absolutely not. But I do think the squad needs freshening up a bit.

If a bid comes in for either Tav or Goldson, I'd seriously consider it. I say that as someone constantly defending both on here.

We look like an average SPFL plodder side at times, something unforgivable considering our budget compared to the rest out-with Celtic.

McGregor is the only winner and captain. Tav is a weakling who will be lucky to ever lift silverware as captain of Rangers.

It's why games like today have more questions than answers.

Scraping a 1-0 is fine when you're in a a title race but the league is gone now. We need performances so we know who is coming with us next season - I saw practically nothing from any of them today that would make me want them in a title race next year.
The League is gone..?

You are every bit the bottler and weakling you accuse our players of being.

Your opinion is next to worthless..

We need to keep progressing and improving the side that’s a given. We are too reliant on our best players being in form and lack options of a similar quality when they have a dip in form.

But to be fair to this lot and the manager W20 D3 L3 after 26 games would usually be the form of title contenders 2/3rds into a season. Maybe they will have a bad patch, stranger things have happened.

Last season we lost 6 and drew 9 games, we will more than likely comfortably improve on that this season, and we’ve improved in each cup competition so far, and dominated games against them.

Perhaps we should not expect this Rangers team to accumulate a points tally up there with the best Advocaat team, which it looks like will be needed to win this title.

i get people have opinions on the team and will always bitch when we lose, but when we grind out a result from a laboured 1st half and in horrendous conditions (weather/pitch) and get past dodgy officiating and get the vital 3pts folk still want to bitch and moan, bunch of miserable c*nts

That's the million dollar question, but we are where we are for the 2nd year in a row - league over in mid February,

Big gamble to give them a go at a 3rd.

Most of them yes, id ditch Ojo and Aribo straight away as they have contributed very little when you look at it. Halliday , Docherty , Flanigan gerrard doesnt rate either , add in Murphy , Polster. About 7 out and 4 or 5 in i hope.
Our aim has to be to put in the same no of points as this season and make sure we take the 3 pts when we are winning 1-0 at Tynecastle and playing guff. Celtc have to keep up their winning streak which will be very very hard for them next season to match it.

Simply cannot afford to rip it up and start again, no guarantee a new group of players gel and hit the ground running. Do so and we hand them what will probably be 10 in a row.

Remember we will probably spend €5 mill on Hagi so it doesn’t leave much to spend unless we sell. This group of players are going to have to develop an attitude over the course of the next season or so, a scottish cup win could be vital in developing this.

This same group of players and management staff:

1. Progressed through 8 Europa League Quals.
2. Qualified in 2nd place, losing one game after being bottom seed.
3. Smashed them in the Cup Final, completely battered them for 90 mins. Encountered some of the worst luck you’ll ever see in a football game.
4. Beat Celtic at Parkhead and went 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Small details just haven’t gone our way. And you need them and a slice of luck to win titles.

The problem is coping with expectation. We seem to fold when shit gets real.

Reactions: cav
They have sleptwalked into a 10 point deficit in a matter of weeks, are totally incapable of dealing with difficult moments in games and appear lifeless when a reaction to adversity is required and expected.

You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.

We have a lot of very good footballers in our squad but there are huge mental scars/question marks with some of them. James Tavernier is someone I have gone to bat for on god knows how many occasions and playing in a Rangers team from different eras is someone I'm sure would have won many titles but even I now find myself wondering if the guy can ever recover from what he's endured in the last 5/6 years. He is merely an example.

I could easily see us in a similar position next winter break because we have some very good players but being honest how many would you really trust in the same situation we found ourselves in post 29th December?

The choice is whether you trust them to have learned from 2 post winter break title race capitulations or whether you roll the dice and bring in new recruits that can handle the situation a bit better.

Either way, the sheer lifelessness and lethargy about recent performances when there is so much at stake has to be factored in when we're planning for next season.

Apart from anything else how can we finance that? How can you rip a team apart and start again and expect to challenge?

Same players put us in a great position first half of the season. It's baffling.

That IMO is the real mystery.

I’ve read on here that teams have “worked us out” since Xmas...utter pish.

We’ve been playing the same way since Gerrard came in and it served us pretty well until the winter break.

As you say, it’s baffling.

i get people have opinions on the team and will always bitch when we lose, but when we grind out a result from a laboured 1st half and in horrendous conditions (weather/pitch) and get past dodgy officiating and get the vital 3pts folk still want to bitch and moan, bunch of miserable c*nts
Scots in general love a moan.

It’s not the players imo

The managers obsession with trying to control the game is stifling the players. We look slow and predictable and the formation and personnel aren’t clicking.

Sometimes we just need to be more direct and give up some of the pointless possession
Exactly the point I made earlier today.

What exactly do we need to control against these teams? If we can't simply defend against lower quality players and then win the ball back, we should have stayed in the third fkn division .

What striker are you signing who’s equal to or better than Morelos ?

That’s what the DOF is for mate Morelos is becoming a liability not all his fault but he can’t play his game the referees are all over him he has also become increasingly selfish which is hurting us just now so for it’s best for all if we move him on this summer use that money to build midfield and source the new Morelos.

That’s what the DOF is for mate Morelos is becoming a liability not all his fault but he can’t play his game the referees are all over him he has also become increasingly selfish which is hurting us just now so for it’s best for all if we move him on this summer use that money to build midfield and source the new Morelos.

Ah the old “ that’s not my job “ get out

Why did you bother :D

They have sleptwalked into a 10 point deficit in a matter of weeks, are totally incapable of dealing with difficult moments in games and appear lifeless when a reaction to adversity is required and expected.

You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.

We have a lot of very good footballers in our squad but there are huge mental scars/question marks with some of them. James Tavernier is someone I have gone to bat for on god knows how many occasions and playing in a Rangers team from different eras is someone I'm sure would have won many titles but even I now find myself wondering if the guy can ever recover from what he's endured in the last 5/6 years. He is merely an example.

I could easily see us in a similar position next winter break because we have some very good players but being honest how many would you really trust in the same situation we found ourselves in post 29th December?

The choice is whether you trust them to have learned from 2 post winter break title race capitulations or whether you roll the dice and bring in new recruits that can handle the situation a bit better.

Either way, the sheer lifelessness and lethargy about recent performances when there is so much at stake has to be factored in when we're planning for next season.

Yeah let’s get rid of the majority of the squad because of a slump in form, that seems sensible and not at all idiotic.

There's money to be made through player sales - I'm not disputing a lot of them are very capable footballers.

There are very few examples of complete rebuilds working mainly because you always get fall out from transfers in.

If you looked at O'Neil at the Piggery he never bought a flair player in his life-he brought in steel and experience and was lucky he had Larsson, the wee Lubo guy and Petrov who flourished under having some steel and organisation. That gave him the balance of a very strong team.

You are suggesting in equivalent terms we use our best to completely rebuild which would be a minor miracle if it worked. We'd suspect Morelos will go but frankly he's in his worst slump since arriving-can we guarantee he is not going to have an indifferent end to the season and hurt his value?

How this will work in real terms is at the end of the season SG will have an even better idea of what requires to change-individually and collectively. If it gets so bad he leaves for whatever reason then the new guy will do the same.

It will not be done punter style let's have a big bonfire.

Yes, exactly the same shite the team is with Tav in. We were told we were missing his leadership, his drive etc.
Be honest, have you seen that since his return?

Quite remarkable that a player after having surgery and a lay off hasn't bounced back to his best.

Ever considered he's not match fit? Jack and Davis are exactly the same....as is Morelos.

You wouldn’t be rabbling this nonsense if he hadn’t had 2 perfectly good goals disallowed in the past week, away and give yourself peace.

It’s absolute idiocy based on a few week slump, moronic.

For the second season in a row that's basically ended our title aspirations.

There is clearly some thing up whether it's a lack of quality, winning mentality, stubbornness/inability from the manager...?

I'm not calling for every player to be binned by the way.

We've got threads like this then above it and amongst other ones, people saying we should be signing Lyndon Dykes. A player of a lesser quality to what we have.

@Uncle Albert I can be negative at times but your posts in general are so unnecessarily negative far too often.
We’re struggling at the moment and most teams do at some point during the season.
I’m not happy with what I’m seeing but it’s not a case of the players not trying, more one of a lack of belief and confidence
Thursday could be important as no doubt they will get up for the Europa league match.
If we can get any sort of result, it could put us back on track.
We are a young team with a young Manager and everybody is learning how to deal with massive pressure.
Unfortunately miracles don’t happen overnight and we have probably exceeded anything like the expectation that we should realistically have had for the investment and time put in over the last one and a half seasons.

Winning mentality, is different to being captain.

SG knows we need a winning mentality in the dressing room. Who accepts defeat and who does not. We need a dressing room who are not content after loosing matches or dropping points. Mentality is key to being winners.

Who is hurting, who could not care less as its money and only a job.

To play for Rangers, you need mental strength along with ability. Cant just step up on the glamour ties. Anyone stand out?

if you think we can unload players and basically start again you‘re delusional. This squad is capable with a couple of additions and a variation in tactics.

For the second season in a row that's basically ended our title aspirations.

There is clearly some thing up whether it's a lack of quality, winning mentality, stubbornness/inability from the manager...?

I'm not calling for every player to be binned by the way.

We've got threads like this then above it and amongst other ones, people saying we should be signing Lyndon Dykes. A player of a lesser quality to what we have.

I don’t know what has caused the slump, however to suggest we rip the squad up and start again is ridiculous, this is the same squad we were raving about a few weeks ago, they’ve collectively lost form, it’s shit, it’s frustrating but they will get it back.

OP is talking absolute rubbish. Edit to quote tagsbear above ‘ridiculous’

The reality is we are 2 players regularly having a good game different from earlier in the season.

And will likely finish with more points that previous title winners of the last decade and a bit.

You wouldn’t be rabbling this nonsense if he hadn’t had 2 perfectly good goals disallowed in the past week, away and give yourself peace.

Pipe down mr cheerleader everything is rosey and read what I posted instead of playing mr Rangers.

He isn’t being allowed to play his game he can’t be physical as he is being penalised unfairly you agree?

He hasn’t scored he looks very off form that isn’t having a go it’s telling the truth.

Same players put us in a great position first half of the season. It's baffling.

This is the most frustrating part. Unless you’re part of the inner circle it’s unlikely us normal fans will get any firsthand info of behind the scenes and if something has happened. Not saying it has but from our win at the scumhut it’s like another team has returned from Dubai.

The problem looks more mentality than ability

The same team beat the tims and Porto . They have the ability , it’s balls they need . Gerrard can’t give them bottle

I don’t know what has caused the slump, however to suggest we rip the squad up and start again is ridiculous, this is the same squad we were raving about a few weeks ago, they’ve collectively lost form, it’s shit, it’s frustrating but they will get it back.

They will get it back when it's too late. Same as last season.

Gerrard has to find the problem(s) and fast, or next season will be the same.

The conditions today weren't great but it was the same lacklustre, slow, turgid performance as we've seen since Stranraer. That's 9 games on the bounce now.

For me we need to add real midfield/attacking quality.
We are just to predictable and slow we need 3/4 players who will turn games when they are tight!
Players in mould of Ferguson,de boer,Albertz....obviously easy said then done but it’s those type players we need and a player or 2 who putting it bluntly are b*stards who hate losing because for me our team aren’t nasty enough.

Reactions: cav

They did the same last year. What if they did again next season.
We can’t keep repeating the same mistakes and not addressing them.
I would sell Tavernier, Goldson, Jack, Kamara and Morelos. I would also sell Kent if we could get our money back, however I think he will stay.
We need players in the team used to winning things and dealing with the pressure needed to do this.
All of those players have won nothing in the game so far and show no sign of doing so.
I wouldn’t include Kamara as one of those players but if someone is willing to give a large fee I would sell him to improve our squad.

Pipe down mr cheerleader everything is rosey and read what I posted instead of playing mr Rangers.

He isn’t being allowed to play his game he can’t be physical as he is being penalised unfairly you agree?

He hasn’t scored he looks very off form that isn’t having a go it’s telling the truth.

Firstly, what absolute shite patter.

Secondly, you called him a liability, he scored a goal last weekend, on top of the 2 wrongly disallowed, what a liability, let’s chase our best striker in decades out the door because he’s not in top form.

I would sell Tavernier, Goldson, Jack, Kamara and Morelos. I would also sell Kent if we could get our money back, however I think he will stay.
We need players in the team used to winning things and dealing with the pressure needed to do this.
All of those players have won nothing in the game so far and show no sign of doing so.
I wouldn’t include Kamara as one of those players but if someone is willing to give a large fee I would sell him to improve our squad.

Hahaha, ok sell the lot.

Today wasn’t the conditions for good football. The walk home was soul destroying so I’ll spare the players for not turning on the fancy stuff today

Unless we have someone willing to sink tens of millions into overturning the current monopoly on champions league money then we are not going to win %^*& all

winning things like what exactly? Champions leagues or la liga titles? Does someone who wins a 2nd division title count as someone who “wins things”

Firstly, what absolute shite patter.

Secondly, you called him a liability, he scored a goal last weekend, on top of the 2 wrongly disallowed, what a liability, let’s chase our best striker in d3cades out the door because he’s not in top form.

Read the POST ffs.

I said I’d cash in on him because he is a liability but it’s not all his fault what part of that don’t you get.?

I’d sell Tav too he has been a shadow of the player he was last year if the bid came in as I think we can really use the funds well.

Morelos is going anyway this summer most likely so I don’t get why you are so precious for me saying I’d cash in and use the money to build a proper midfield.

He can’t play his game and it hurts us tremendously just look at the goal he got wrongly chopped off against Killie if that’s not him it stands imo and that’s what I mean by liability.

No team plays well all the time. I think our biggest problem is refereeing. The next biggest problem is our failure to take opportunities and so take refs out the equation more.

Alfie is a top player but there are days you just don’t fancy him to score, particularly domestically. He’s been robbed of two goals in two games right enough but he’s been poor since the suspension. I think Edouard is absolutely huge for them and if they were to lose him to injury they’d drop a lot of points.

Back