The majority of these players cannot be allowed to continue into next season.

If Alfie's winner the other night isn't chopped off for no reason and Aberdeen get their penalty and win today then the gap would be 4 with us having a game in hand.

One thing I was disappointed with today though was the reaction to the tackle on Goldson. McGregor was up at the referee and linesman going berserk, why aren't they all doing that?

How do you know the new players you wish to bring in this summer wouldn't do the same? Perhaps you are looking at the players too closely on an individual level. Celtics team have a winning mentality and that is mainly push by the main players like Brown etc. Are you telling me Greg Taylor formerly of Kilmarnock is a "winner"? Same with Frompong and all there other new players.
I know they seem to get the best out of everyone, maybe it’s an all for the team ethos, we seem to look at a player and say he’ll be ideal for this game and that game, although I don’t take much notice of them the same way they just put out a team and they do the business.

Tav is not half the player he was last season he has regressed big time it’s time to cash in.

Alfie isn’t allowed to play his game so a liability cash in.

I think the midfield is a real problem so I’d fix it first I don’t see what your problem with that is?

There is nothing wrong with selling anyone - Morelos just now - yes Tav just now - yes but the money for them wouldn't get us better replacements AND a midfield!

I don’t think we need a wholesale clear out as much as we simply need two or three players of a (much) better quality than any we already possess.

We probably need a couple in the middle and one out on the right (if we’re going to persist with the loose 4-3-3 variation we play).

If Alfie leaves, we need a new first choice striker, if it’s Tav or Goldson, then we need to replace them too.

I still don’t think we’re actually that far away though, but we’re lacking genuine leaders to drive us on in games like today and that should be our focus this summer.

If we’re being brutal about it in pure business terms, I’d look to offload Morelos, Kamara and Barisic and use the money to fund better quality additions.

We don’t react well to winning Old Firm games.

The hype goes to there head and when faced with the real pressure of having a title race in our own hands they bottle it and week by week mentally they get weaker.

The capitulation of this team needs addressed likewise the managements turgid formation and tactics.

All needs addressed now.

I think we could potentially get almost forty million for Alfie and Kamara,particularly if the latter has a decent Euros which historically drives transfer fees up.

Half of that could potentially provide Hagi,two strikers and two midfielders of a high standard with the right scouting I hope.

McGregor,Tav,Goldson,Katic,Barasic,Jack,Davis,Arfield,Aribo and Kent should all be able to contribute to a successful team over a season with the right quality around them surely?

If Alfie can get his shootings boots back on then he’ll be worth £25m alone.

Kamara? I think it’s a bit early to be putting a £10-15m price tag on his head when we paid 50k for him a year ago. Realistically I think we’d be offered £5m if a bid were to come in, but I wouldn’t take it. He could be key for us in the middle next season.

Similarly, early days to be talking about shelling out big money for Hagi, I think his fee could be used for one of the more experienced “winners” I mentioned in my earlier post.

That aside though, I think the rest of your post is spot on.

Against SPL dross we need to be more direct. I know 442 ain’t sexy, but Kamberi off Alfie, with Hagi behind has legs in my opinion.

There is real quality throughout our squad who have proven they are trustworthy and more than capable when they are motivated. It’s all well and good saying we miss Tavernier or we miss Jack or we miss Davis when they’re not fit, or the ref’s hopeless. I’m sorry but If half the team had shown the attitude post winter break that Andy Halliday did today we’d all be talking 55 regardless of who’s available or not or however corrupt the officials are or not. There’s simply not enough depth of quality to challenge the regular starters. Your Hallidays and Polsters have done little wrong and shown determination to prove they deserve the shirt when given the opportunity. Unfortunately they are fringe/ squad players for a reason, but the more talented and regular starters must deliver that level of determination every time they pull on the shirt for us to be successful.

One very important signing could transform that team .... he needs to sign an out and out leader to take this team by the scruff of the neck ...... a Barry Ferguson who commands respect and is a little feared in the dressing room ..... too many nice guys in that team

How do you know the new players you wish to bring in this summer wouldn't do the same? Perhaps you are looking at the players too closely on an individual level. Celtics team have a winning mentality and that is mainly push by the main players like Brown etc. Are you telling me Greg Taylor formerly of Kilmarnock is a "winner"? Same with Frompong and all there other new players.
They can also blood their new players into a winning team while we are throwing in loan players in a desperate search for a 'spark'.

Not enough of them understand what it actually means IMO including the captain. I don't see us ever win any major trophies with Tav as captain. Just my thoughts. I tend to agree with Barry Ferguson's assessment other day. Probably About 4 or 5 from the squad get it.

I think our main issue is we don’t have enough quality going forward , we run out of Ideas very quickly and if Alfie or Kent is having an off day ( which they have had lately ) then we don’t have anyone to come on and change things. I don’t remember the last time I watched us play and thought the opposition GK was overly worked.

Name some.

Barasic, Davis, Goldson, Jack have all been captains before. McGregor is a leader. Thats 5 people who are captains, plus our actual captain.

Such a lazy, lazy excuse
the only Rangers leader there is Mcgregor, Davis certainly in his day too.....I don’t see a capable league winning Rangers leader in the rest tbh.

They have sleptwalked into a 10 point deficit in a matter of weeks, are totally incapable of dealing with difficult moments in games and appear lifeless when a reaction to adversity is required and expected.

You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.

We have a lot of very good footballers in our squad but there are huge mental scars/question marks with some of them. James Tavernier is someone I have gone to bat for on god knows how many occasions and playing in a Rangers team from different eras is someone I'm sure would have won many titles but even I now find myself wondering if the guy can ever recover from what he's endured in the last 5/6 years. He is merely an example.

I could easily see us in a similar position next winter break because we have some very good players but being honest how many would you really trust in the same situation we found ourselves in post 29th December?

The choice is whether you trust them to have learned from 2 post winter break title race capitulations or whether you roll the dice and bring in new recruits that can handle the situation a bit better.

Either way, the sheer lifelessness and lethargy about recent performances when there is so much at stake has to be factored in when we're planning for next season.

You name them and let's see if we agree.

It’s not the players imo

The managers obsession with trying to control the game is stifling the players. We look slow and predictable and the formation and personnel aren’t clicking.

Sometimes we just need to be more direct and give up some of the pointless possession
Mate, I'm not sure it is. Today is a great example of our 'negative' side. First half we had: the Kent chance, Davis chance, Katic header all really good opportunities. Then we had the Alfie half chance as well. We scored a goal which should have stood 2nd half, kent missed an opportunity. The point is, we're creating chances. We're not clinical or composed enough. Maybe more worryingly, maybe we don't possess the quality to win our league. Gerrard changed our formation slightly today as well.

Might depend on outgoings. Need 2-3 players of real quality. It’s more about that than leadership imo.

Mate, I'm not sure it is. Today is a great example of our 'negative' side. First half we had: the Kent chance, Davis chance, Katic header all really good opportunities. Then we had the Alfie half chance as well. We scored a goal which should have stood 2nd half, kent missed an opportunity. The point is, we're creating chances. We're not clinical or composed enough. Maybe more worryingly, maybe we don't possess the quality to win our league. Gerrard changed our formation slightly today as well.

I think that's why people search for other reasons, be it mentality or winter training sessions in Dubai. It's easier than admitting our squad doesn't have the requisite quality.

I said from the outset, I didn't think we'd win the League this season. I do, though, expect a Cup because on our day, we're as good as anyone. We don't have the quality for consistency and there's a worrying drop between our first 11 and the rest.

I think that's why people search for other reasons, be it mentality or winter training sessions in Dubai. It's easier than admitting our squad doesn't have the requisite quality.

I said from the outset, I didn't think we'd win the League this season. I do, though, expect a Cup because on our day, we're as good as anyone. We don't have the quality for consistency and there's a worrying drop between our first 11 and the rest.
Yes, it's the most painful answer because it's the most difficult to fix. Mentality, formation, subs, fitness etc. Are the first excuses trotted out but as you say, we lack quality in depth. The Dubai argument is a good example. Was it Dubai or was it that we lost Morelos due to his dive and Tav and Jack to injury? They are our 3 best players!

"We're not clinical or composed enough."

And there was me thinking that we scored 3 perfectly good goals today and were denied an absolute stonewaller of a penalty!

Yes we were poor today and have been a wee bit off the boil recently but we need to wake up guys, the fucking referees are by far our biggest problem!

We have struggled recently - but we have still only lost three games in the league. I'm not surprised by the overreaction because that is just what happens when a Rangers team has bad results - but we have so much more to work with in the form of this coaching team and squad. They can take us further than they already have.

It all comes down to squad depth.
Our dire form after the break is down to a number of injuries and suspensions to key players (Jack, Morelos, Tav etc)
Unfortunately they have a much deeper squad and more money.
I think all this talk of bottle and mentality is misplaced.

"We're not clinical or composed enough."

And there was me thinking that we scored 3 perfectly good goals today and were denied an absolute stonewaller of a penalty!

Yes we were poor today and have been a wee bit off the boil recently but we need to wake up guys, the fucking referees are by far our biggest problem!
Agree re. The refs. 100%. But, we still had chances to end the game. That bit we can control.

If the players have stopped believing in the formation and set up, like a lot of the support them that could be an issue. I believe this formation works against teams that actually want to play football. Where it falls down is when we play against scotlands diddy elite who play for draws, or play to keep the score down. Coming to Ibrox and getting a draw for the likes of Livingston is the highlight of their season.

im wondering if we could switch things up domestically. If we are getting frustrated watching the team you can bet the players are just as frustrated on the pitch trying to breakdown a human wall.

4-2-3-1 is not exactly an exciting formation but we could play Hagi in the 10, then kent snd Possibly Jones on the wing.

or

3-4-3 which becomes 5-2-3 in defence with Tav and Borna playing as wingbacks. At this point we have almost nothing to lose domestically in that everybody knows how to play against us and our current formation is not producing the results that our squad should be.

The League is gone..?

You are every bit the bottler and weakling you accuse our players of being.

Your opinion is next to worthless..
Your blue tinted specs are distorting your judgement my friend.
Admiting the truth hurts at times but we do have severe problems at the moment and the sooner it's sorted the better.

One very important signing could transform that team .... he needs to sign an out and out leader to take this team by the scruff of the neck ...... a Barry Ferguson who commands respect and is a little feared in the dressing room ..... too many nice guys in that team

This. Been saying it for ages on here that we need to recruit players suited to win this league. There are a few basic attributes that even our top players are missing. We always had a strong Scottish International core, supplemented by quality, technical players. The passion, mental strength. Guys that ‘get it’ and understand the game up here and the opposition. Someone to rally the team when the tempo drops or the urgency is lacking. We’re too weak, in more ways than one. Is anyone surprised that our best form seems to come in europe ? The SPFL is a different ball game, and it’s not the English Championship either.

It comes down to whether you'd trust the core of this squad with another title push. I think it's too risky.

Plenty have disagreed, nobody has answered the question in the OP about who they properly trust to get the job done.

I think Morelos will go in the summer, I'd say that's been mutually agreed. I'd take advantage of interest in Tav and Kamara, listen to bids for Goldson. Likes of Ojo, Barker and Jones will be away. Halliday and Flannigan are out of contract.

I'd like to keep Barisic but a good Euros might see bids arrive we just can't turn down.

Is it really that wild when you think about it?

Morelos won’t ever again get a fair crack of the whip in this shithole and should be sold .

We have 2 problems our subs aren’t good enough so too many players know no matter how bad they play they will continue every game as we have no one to replace them.

Second problem is we have no plan B we play 4-3-3 and that’s it we aren’t Liverpool we need to mix it up , We have 2 exceptional attacking full backs and 4 decent CBs so should be going 3 at the back against a lot of the shite in the league and 4-4-2 at times as well .

Morelos won’t ever again get a fair crack of the whip in this shithole and should be sold .

We have 2 problems our subs aren’t good enough so too many players know no matter how bad they play they will continue every game as we have no one to replace them.

Second problem is we have no plan B we play 4-3-3 and that’s it we aren’t Liverpool we need to mix it up , We have 2 exceptional attacking full backs and 4 decent CBs so should be going 3 at the back against a lot of the shite in the league and 4-4-2 at times as well .

He can’t play his game without being pulled by refs. He now gets fouls gave against him for rolling a defender and any other striker scores that goal vs Killie it stands imo.

It comes down to whether you'd trust the core of this squad with another title push. I think it's too risky.

Plenty have disagreed, nobody has answered the question in the OP about who they properly trust to get the job done.

I think Morelos will go in the summer, I'd say that's been mutually agreed. I'd take advantage of interest in Tav and Kamara, listen to bids for Goldson. Likes of Ojo, Barker and Jones will be away. Halliday and Flannigan are out of contract.

I'd like to keep Barisic but a good Euros might see bids arrive we just can't turn down.

To answer your op ,

Jack , Davis, Katic , Barasic , Edmundson, Defoe , Kent ,

I would sell any of the others that we can get good cash for .

I think our main issue is we don’t have enough quality going forward , we run out of Ideas very quickly and if Alfie or Kent is having an off day ( which they have had lately ) then we don’t have anyone to come on and change things. I don’t remember the last time I watched us play and thought the opposition GK was overly worked.
3 excellent saves in the first half yesterday

some do deserve the chop....but we need a definite better replacement and judging by some of Gerrard's signings, we might get liverpool loans :rolleyes:

My question when it comes to these threads is - where does the money come from for these constant squad rebuilds?

You’re essentially talking about losing half of the current first XI. I don’t think that’s sustainable in terms of bringing in replacements and expecting them all to gel straight away.

Morelos will go and I think we may look to cash in on either or both of Kamara and Barisic if there are big bids for them on the back of the Euros.

But if we’re also looking to punt Tav and Goldson then I think we’d be making too many changes.

I feel maybe three of the first XI and three or four of the fringe players is about right, but importantly we need to add two or three better players to the existing squad as it stands now before we sell anyone.

That’s the key for me.

Oh do shut up! You think we are going to bin half the squad and spend another £10m replacing them?

‘You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.’

This suggests you’d like rid of the manager too?

I could say something rather hostile but I wil refrain for fear of banning.
I agree on what you said and how you said it.

It's 9 games and it's at the same crucial period of the season they did the same last year.

Can you ever just disagree without throwing insults about?

You started a thread designed to get people’s back up, so that’s what happened, it’s so nonsensical to suggest we punt the majority of the squad and start again that it deserves called for what it is.

Back