The making of Billy Gilmour

Now that he appears to be making pretty regular appearances for Chelsea, surely a wee loan spell isn't out of the question?

If he's holding his own in the Premier League at 17, he could be a welcome attacking addition for us?

Now that he appears to be making pretty regular appearances for Chelsea, surely a wee loan spell isn't out of the question?

If he's holding his own in the Premier League at 17, he could be a welcome attacking addition for us?
Hes hardly holding his own on the premier league just yet.

Far more likely he will get a bit more game time at Chelsea as the season goes on.

Sell Kamara get Gilmour on loan?
Sounds good.

Far more likely he will get a bit more game time at Chelsea as the season goes on.

Wish the lad nothing but good things in his career but continually reading about him hurts as a Rangers fan, just how close we came to bringing threw a top drawer player at the club (as well as massive fee when sold).

And to make things worse we could be going threw the exact same again with Leon King, who is the next "big thing" and currently getting courted by top EPL clubs.

Hoping he can kick on and fulfil his potential and doesn't end up like another Josh McEachran.

If he’s making pretty regular appearances for Chelsea, you’ll need to explain to me why the f uck they’d want to loan him out?

OK - maybe regular was the wrong terminology - what I meant was, despite being only 17, he seems to be trusted to be in and around the first team set-up at Chelsea, and is being given minutes towards the end of games in the premier league.

If he's mixing it with top players at Chelsea, I'm somewhat confident he'd be OK against the Ross County's and Hamilton's of this world.

Likely that Chelsea will be looking to fast-track his development, and what better platform than at his former club, in front of 50,000 fans, and under the guidance of Steven Gerrard?

Wish the lad nothing but good things in his career but continually reading about him hurts as a Rangers fan, just how close we came to bringing threw a top drawer player at the club (as well as massive fee when sold).

And to make things worse we could be going threw the exact same again with Leon King, who is the next "big thing" and currently getting courted by top EPL clubs.

Difference being we've SG, we're in Europe, we're a more stable club with a vision rather than the bumbling arse we were before SG arrived.

He sets a worrying precedent for us on the back of the unique situation at Chelsea just now.

For every Billy Gilmore, there will be 20 Danny Wilson’s having to come back up the road to rebuild their career but I worry his success might turn our best young players heads, particularly if they don’t see a route to the first team.

OK - maybe regular was the wrong terminology - what I meant was, despite being only 17, he seems to be trusted to be in and around the first team set-up at Chelsea, and is being given minutes towards the end of games in the premier league.

If he's mixing it with top players at Chelsea, I'm somewhat confident he'd be OK against the Ross County's and Hamilton's of this world.

Likely that Chelsea will be looking to fast-track his development, and what better platform than at his former club, in front of 50,000 fans, and under the guidance of Steven Gerrard?
He really wouldn't.

He sets a worrying precedent for us on the back of the unique situation at Chelsea just now.

For every Billy Gilmore, there will be 20 Danny Wilson’s having to come back up the road to rebuild their career but I worry his success might turn our best young players heads, particularly if they don’t see a route to the first team.

Not just Gilmour but I think the likes of Robertson as well has changed the mentality of a lot of young Scots
Growing up every young player in Scotland’s end goal seemed to be playing for us or Timmy
Now you’ve got the likes of Robertson, Fraser, McGinn, Tierney all down their getting big moves or linked with big moves to be big clubs
Gilmour moving to Chelsea at 16. Morrison going to Bayern at 16 and now Leon King linked with a host of big clubs

With the amount of talented 14/15 year olds we’re supposed to have across the country I think we’re just seeing the start of young Scots being more ambitious and trying to make it in the bigger leagues
Which is why it’s imperative we start to give youth a chance and give them a reason to stay here

Difference being we've SG, we're in Europe, we're a more stable club with a vision rather than the bumbling arse we were before SG arrived.

Can't disagree with that. Definitely hoping the SG factor will have a more positive help in the club persuading our very talented youngsters to stay put.

He would not play in a Gerrard team that is a fact sooner people realize that the better there is bigger better stronger players that can't get a game with us Gerrard played Big Ross Mc in Midfield because of his size he played Edmonson in midfield because of his size the gaffer is not for experimenting while he’s trying to stop them plus keep his own credentials in tac

He absolutely would. You only neee to look across the city and at some of other SPL teams who have teenagers in their teams - I refuse to accept any of them are better than Billy Gilmour.
He would get kicked from pillar to post by bigger stronger pros and he would get no protection.
He would finish up a weak link in a side that has to win matches and it would set him back.
He still needs a season or so to fill out and find that athletic strength to compete and Lampard will ease him into his side gently without real pressure.
Gerrard would do the same.

He would not play in a Gerrard team that is a fact sooner people realize that the better there is bigger better stronger players that can't get a game with us Gerrard played Big Ross Mc in Midfield because of his size he played Edmonson in midfield because of his size the gaffer is not for experimenting while he’s trying to stop them plus keep his own credentials in tac
Steven Davis starts in Steven Gerrard’s Rangers team. McCrorie is also not even at the club at the moment and Edmundson played 10 mins there in a game we were cruising. To suggest Gilmour wouldn’t cut it V Hamilton or Ross County is bordering on insanity.

You mention McCrorie's size, but yet we see him shipped out on loan to Pompey, you, strangely, mention Edmundson's 10 minute cameo in midfield as if that in any way reflects Gerrard's midfield preferences.

Yet our current midlfield is comprised of individuals who certainly wouldn't fall into the 'big' or 'physical' category. Gerrard, first and foremost, likes technical footballers who can interpret instruction and manipulate the ball effectively. Listen, I'm not saying Gilmour is going to take us to the next level, I merely suggested a loan move to a familiar environment, to aid his development, might not be a terrible idea.

You mention McCrorie's size, but yet we see him shipped out on loan to Pompey, you, strangely, mention Edmundson's 10 minute cameo in midfield as if that in any way reflects Gerrard's midfield preferences.

Yet our current midlfield is comprised of individuals who certainly wouldn't fall into the 'big' or 'physical' category. Gerrard, first and foremost, likes technical footballers who can interpret instruction and manipulate the ball effectively. Listen, I'm not saying Gilmour is going to take us to the next level, I merely suggested a loan move to a familiar environment, to aid his development, might not be a terrible idea.

Look at the loan midfielders previously you might get my drift

He would get kicked from pillar to post by bigger stronger pros and he would get no protection.
He would finish up a weak link in a side that has to win matches and it would set him back.
He still needs a season or so to fill out and find that athletic strength to compete and Lampard will ease him into his side gently without real pressure.
Gerrard would do the same.

I get where you are coming from here. Look at young Harry Cochrane who was doing well but got booted up in the air by Scott Brown and it's knocked him for six.

I get where you are coming from here. Look at young Harry Cochrane who was doing well but got booted up in the air by Scott Brown and it's knocked him for six.
And our media/press up here never even called Brown out for that.I would have loved to have seen Brown playing against Souness,John Brown or Ian Ferguson to see if he tried any of his shite but we already know he would have shat his pants against any of them.

He was fortunate that Chelsea's transfer ban was effective last year. Now I fear he'll disappear in that squad. He's too good a player to be a bit part player at Chelsea and would benefit from moving down took a slightly lower team where he will get regular game time.

It is very much to Billy G's credit that he is still regarded by Lampard as part of the Chelsea project - given the wealth of outstanding talent currently at the club. However, therein lies the problem for him - there are just too many brilliant young players all vying for game time at Chelsea that he might find himself short of game minutes. A loan, at this juncture to the right club, might not be the worst career move for him.

Back