The Manchester Trip

Tugay1872

Earlier thread about first steps into Ibrox made my memory lane take a few strolls.
In these socially distanced times - can you imagine going back to the invasion of Manchester via The UEFA Cup Final against Zenit?

I didn't have tickets to it, but went down with my brother in law for a good three-day sesh. I have never and never will see scenes like that again (I hope I'm wrong). It was a completely amazing time that got tarred by various factors. IMO plenty of non-bears, and the reaction of the police when the outdoor screens went down - supermarkets refusing to sell alcohol at 2 in the afternoon etc. Before all that it goes down as one of the best experiences as a bear.

Earlier thread about first steps into Ibrox made my memory lane take a few strolls.
In these socially distanced times - can you imagine going back to the invasion of Manchester via The UEFA Cup Final against Zenit?

I didn't have tickets to it, but went down with my brother in law for a good three-day sesh. I have never and never will see scenes like that again (I hope I'm wrong). It was a completely amazing time that got tarred by various factors. IMO plenty of non-bears, and the reaction of the police when the outdoor screens went down - supermarkets refusing to sell alcohol at 2 in the afternoon etc. Before all that it goes down as one of the best experiences as a bear.
Didn’t see any non bear’s tbh. They just weren’t prepared and got it all wrong but it will live with me forever

Didn’t see any non bear’s tbh. They just weren’t prepared and got it all wrong but it will live with me forever

Heard a few non Scots accents when we were heading away from some trouble, quite a few tbh. Just my experience of it, but the majority were completely sound. You are right about them not being prepared. The police were laughing and joking with most of us which was fine and good. But they didn't seem to be strategically aware the volume of people and how it could turn.

Edit: I'm aware there is non Scottish bears, just in case that comes across as a bit crass.

Heard a few non Scots accents when we were heading away from some trouble, quite a few tbh. Just my experience of it, but the majority were completely sound. You are right about them not being prepared. The police were laughing and joking with most of us which was fine and good. But they didn't seem to be strategically aware the volume of people and how it could turn.
Most of the lads I went with had non Scottish accents but are as staunch as the next. We have a huge following in England but as we said it was a complete %^*& up by the authorities. Not saying there wasn’t any idiots there but they didn’t handle it well at all. Two toilets in the square I was in and could feel the tension about 4 so went to a pub. They were warned to be fair but took no notice. Still, what a day/ turnout

I left Piccadilly before the screens went off as it was too busy and a copper said Albert square had a big screen so watched the game there.
It was an amazing day from the minute I got there until the minute zenit scored their first goal then it just went flat for me as i didnt see us getting back into it,I never actually seen any of the trouble at all.

There was a few people around that were blootered early doors which seemed pointless to me as they would have been out of it by the time the game started and would have remembered nothing about the final,I had plenty to drink by the time the game started but not enough not to actually enjoy and appreciate the occasion.

Most of the lads I went with had non Scottish accents but are as staunch as the next. We have a huge following in England but as we said it was a complete %^*& up by the authorities. Not saying there wasn’t any idiots there but they didn’t handle it well at all. Two toilets in the square I was in and could feel the tension about 4 so went to a pub. They were warned to be fair but took no notice. Still, what a day/ turnout

Yeah you're right, it was just around four and the news had filtered through before they announced it was completely down. Can't remember the name of the pub right next to the square - had open windows, heavy packed - but that's where I watched the game half conscious ha.

Headed down on the day with workmates on the bus. I'll never forget the scenes on the motorway. Cars and vans passing the bus with scarves or flags out the windows. Along a flat stretch of the motorway you could see flags stretching off into the distance. This was our first hint of what was to come.

Our bus parked at the stadium and we got another bus down into Piccadilly Square to meet other pals. The bus down was literally bouncing. Remember office workers etc coming out and gawping. Joined in an impromptu "walk" in Piccadilly, but even early on there was a sense of unrest and tension there, so we headed to Albert Square. Had an amazing day.

I'll never forget leaving Albert Square and looking at my phone. I had about a dozen missed calls from my wife. I phoned back and she asked if I was okay as she'd seen the riots on the tele. I hadn't a clue what she was talking about. I asked a policeman whether it was okay to walk back to the stadium for our bus due to the riots and he said "sure, it's nothing we don't see on any other Saturday night". On the way back up the road we were hearing the news reports and seeing photos online, but nothing will ever darken my memories of that day.

Apologies folks, I kinda missed the point talking about what happened at night. I generally meant how amazing it felt, the sheer sight of all of us in glorious sunshine. Social gathering at its finest, which we are missing just now. Will never forget it.

Yeah you're right, it was just around four and the news had filtered through before they announced it was completely down. Can't remember the name of the pub right next to the square - had open windows, heavy packed - but that's where I watched the game half conscious ha.
I only remember having an argument with the bouncer about us bringing on a creative midfielder. Clueless arrogant Man U prick he was ha

Apologies folks, I kinda missed the point talking about what happened at night. I generally meant how amazing it felt, the sheer sight of all of us in glorious sunshine. Social gathering at its finest, which we are missing just now. Will never forget it.
Agree but it’s what it’s remembered for unfortunately. We have said how great it was though tbf

Booked my train ticket after we knocked out Sporting Lisbon. Went down on the day of the match with no ticket and watched in Albert Square. The loss would have been a lot easier to swallow if we at least got to celebrate a goal. Still had a great time though.

A few us stayed in Blackpool, arriving the day before and leaving the day after. What a party? Our screens were fine. Remember arriving at train station about 8am on the day with thousands in the queue ahead of us. By the time we got in a train, there were tens of thousands behind us, some of whom were told there was no way the my would get on a train.

we arrived in Manchester about11am, bought our carry outs for later and hit a pub close to the train station who kindly held our beers behind the bar. They closed the pub after a couple of hours as they had sold out :)

We got our beers from behind the bar, headed to our square and what a party it was. Our screen remained on. Terrible result, but loved it apart from that.

when we got back to train station, we were told no trains and out on a bus back to Blackpool for another party back there :)

The night before was an amazing site already thousands around the square. We stayed bout in Altrincham and when we got back to the hotel about 1am people were asleep on the bowling green next to the hotel

Travelled down to Preston the morning before the game, all day session there and then an earlyish train into Manchester the day of the game. It must have been the first train of the day to have left Glasgow and it was a tight squeeze to get on, no idea how the fans that had already spent 3 hours on it felt.

Off the train at Manchester and walking along the platform it was overwhelming the colours everywhere it was like getting off the subway to Ibrox.

Started off at Piccadilly and for some reason we ended up at Albert Square from around 1pm onward, sun was blaring and we had crates of overpriced Carlsberg? from the fanzone, myself only having 2 as I was staying sober to take it all in.

5pm came and off to the match I went leaving most of my mates there. There was hardly any room in that square to move at that point so I’ve no idea how it would have been at kick off. As great as it would have been to score/win, it probably would have been disaster territory with the sheer density of folk.

Was a great walk to the stadium, and almost all bears, some neutrals and a handful of zenit fans, no trouble whatsoever. Bus back into town after the game and luckily managed to get a train out of Manchester after a bit of a struggle. Didn’t see any of the scenes of trouble, but folk were desperate to get out the city to Blackpool, Preston etc and it appeared there were significant problems with the trains.

My wife is from Manchester and I was fortunate enough to get two tickets from her pals husband who is a Man City season ticket holder.
Despite the result one of the best few days ever following Rangers.
Started the day early in Oldham then headed to Piccadilly and every few steps I would meet someone I knew.
The atmosphere pre game was amazing and then despite the result the atmosphere from start to finish was the same.
We lost obviously but Manchester despite being warned to “ brace yourself, Rangers are coming “ didn’t heed it.

Back