The McCrorie Conundrum

I think he could get played now and then

McGregor was heading towards being phased out last season prior to the arrival of Gio, there was never a true want to commit on McLaughlin as 1.

I could see us trying to remedy budget and number of ins issues in the summer by seeing what he can do.

Just start him I’d rather see him get game time now than McGregor. We can all see that McGregor should have retired in the summer.

Up until now the few chances he's had he's not let himself or the team down. Maybe about time to see if he has what it takes.

Don't personally think any of the 3 of them are what are required to be a Rangers number 1. McGregor obviously is an all time great but levels down at 41. I feel Robbie McCrorie already would be the number 1 if he was up to it

I'm not sold on him yet to be honest.

Watching him for Livingston I thought he made quite a few errors, things he would get crucified for at Ibrox.

Obviously I'm not seeing him in training though, and he did OK for us the two games he played.

I'd like to see him given a chance, he would obviously count as a home grown player in Europe, but if he isn't good enough then we shouldn't base it on that, he should be judged on his ability.
It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I think he needs a proper chance. That’s the only way we see if they can take the pressure of playing for Rangers and at Ibrox.

We need to start looking at younger players as the team is needing freshened up.

The time to try him is now. I'm not giving up on the league and noone else should be either but let's be realistic we are 9 points behind so I'd rate our chances at the league at around 20% at best. If it goes wrong how much damage can it really do.

McCrorie came in twice last season and did well (kept the scum out for 90 mins) he deserves his chance.

When we dropped McLaughlin, I thought that was the time to give McCrorie his chance, but when all three are fit he's still third choice behind McLaghlin then that almost seems like the writing is on the wall for him, I may be proved wrong and he may get a lifeline under a new manager, only time will tell.

He has to be given a chance build his confidence up from what I’ve seen he’s more than decent and his performance in the old firm game was excellent but he really has to play every week if he doesn’t get a chance under Beale they must’ve some other keeper in mind to come in in January regardless of that we need a keeper to be brought in that takes the No 1 jersey.

Just start him I’d rather see him get game time now than McGregor. We can all see that McGregor should have retired in the summer.

I get the feeling if we'd won that penalty shootout in Seville, or kept a clean sheet, McGregor would have retired on that glory.

McCrorie is now finding himself in the same situation McGregor was in 2006.

If he thought himself good enough to be Rangers number one he wouldn’t still be here. The most likely scenario is that we sign a new goalkeeper very soon and release Jon Mc. That leaves McCrorie facing another two or three seasons on the sidelines. He really needs to move on to test himself.

If he thought himself good enough to be Rangers number one he wouldn’t still be here. The most likely scenario is that we sign a new goalkeeper very soon and release Jon Mc. That leaves McCrorie facing another two or three seasons on the sidelines. He really needs to move on to test himself.

McLaughlin still has 18 months left on his deal so i highly doubt he'll be released and i'm quite sure he's quite happy being a back-up player for Rangers at this stage of his career.

Unless Beale takes a shine to him he really needs to move on.

He’s wasting away as a third choice. At least as second choice he would get cup games and cover for any injuries or suspensions. He’s not a kid anymore and at an age where he needs to be playing football or he’ll always be thought of as a backup keeper.

He’s a real shot of being the Scotland No1 within year or two if he gets first team football somewhere and performs well.

We need to go and sign a new goalkeeper in January to be our #1. Failing that then Mcrorie needs his chance to play.

Mcgregor and Mclaughlin will cost us as usual. Both of them should be nowhere near the team and have been shockingly poor.

It will be interesting to see what Beale does, I think we need to look to the future , Mcrorie isn’t a kid anymore and he really needs to be playing. Up to Beale if he thinks it’s his time now.
I'd say also that if his time isn't now, it's unlikely to be his time 6 months down the line, in which case he goes into another season as understudy and he's surely getting to the stage where he needs to be the No. 1, if not at Rangers, then elsewhere.

Being blunt, we either rate him and play him or we don't and we move him on.

The latter isn't a great option as he's not had regular game time for a while now.

Imo he's shown enough in his few appearances to date to merit an extended run.
This. Folk on here said he was pish at Livingston etc, but when pitched in for us, imo he done well, and certainly merits further games/assessment. Might save us a lot of money, and offer stability in a key position for the long term!
What's not to like about any of that?

McLaughlin still has 18 months left on his deal so i highly doubt he'll be released and i'm quite sure he's quite happy being a back-up player for Rangers at this stage of his career.
We desperately need a top class goalkeeper to replace McGregor. If we don’t release McLaughlin then we will be left with two out of three goalkeepers that the club don’t think are good enough to play regularly and for me two keepers with no real interest in playing as they seem happy to sit on the bench . That can’t be healthy.

It’s a similar situation to the one Celtic had a couple of years ago.

The best way to deal with it is release McGregor in the summer, and retain either McLaughlin or McCrorie as number 2 to a new signing. Someone who is an outright unquestioned number 1 - no projects, trials, just someone who is the best we can afford and fits the profile of a rangers goalkeeper.

Think he deserves a chance. He'll either sink or swim and we act accordingly. The time is definitely now though.

I have a bit of sympathy for McCrorie in that he probably feels as do many on here that he hasn’t been given the proper opportunity to prove his worth as 1st choice goalkeeper at Ibrox. No doubt we all have our own views on the current goalkeeping options at the club but if I was advising McCrorie as his agent then I would be strongly recommending that he move on to another club in order to progress his career as I’m sure he would serve another club in the SPFL well. I suspect if he hangs around Ibrox he will probably remain as back up at best as a club our size is always going to try and acquire a much higher profile keeper.Just my own thoughts and many may disagree but that’s what the forum is all about.

We have 5 league games and a friendly before we realistically bring anyone in for us (unless can get deal done for someone to play on 2nd v scum) so that’s a chance for McCrorie to make his case to play & stake a claim as other two are done

McCrorie should be the #2 behind Greegs. JM is now unfortunately done after his mauling at Parkhead.

We should sign a new first choice in Jan - but we all know that's not likely to happen.

He signed a new deal so someone rated him. I think we should give him the old "you'll get 10 games straight to see how you fair". Like others have said, he has not let us down when asked, including against the filth. He deserves that. If it doesn't work out, new keeper in the summer.

He’s not ready yet as I’ve watched him in B Team games prior to his departure on loan. Budinaukas the B Team keeper at the moment, to me seems like a better prospect.

If he’s not good enough to dislodge a past it and highly error prone McGregor then he’s surely not good enough period?

I think we need a new gk in January. If McCrorie is so highly rated at Ibrox then he would be the number 1 by now. Both J M and McGregor have been poor this season and McCrorie hasn’t had a sniff. Can’t see Beale coming in and making him number 1. If he isn’t going to play then he needs to leave for his own sake if nothing else

The fact that the lad is willing to be a no 3 at the age of 24 says enough. I’m sure the last GK we had in that situation was Liam Kelly, he made the decision to move on, which helped his career.

The fact that the lad is willing to be a no 3 at the age of 24 says enough. I’m sure the last GK we had in that situation was Liam Kelly, he made the decision to move on, which helped his career.
Yip, to be the time wasting King of Motherwell.

I’d give him a few games into new year to see if he’s any better than what we’ve got. The league is all but done anyway lets face it. He looked ok when he came in for the old firm last season had a couple of good saves. If not then we should be making a quality keeper no1 priority in the Jan transfer window.

Back