The mentality

BigJig1872

Who do we require to move on this summer to change the mentality of the team? I don’t care who never played yesterday, that team should’ve had it in them to go and beat a team whose been batttered from pillar to post by the mentally challengeds and that is our bench mark.

Another woeful performance from some players who think they are supermen after beating Celtic or Aberdeen but lucky to get away with a draw against St Johnstone.

I believe it’s a mental thing. Chance to cut it down to 3 points and we blew it.

Now there is no pressure on the mhankies today and will actually have hunger to get a win and pull away from the rest of the pack.

The reality is we need more money to buy that strong mentality born winner type as they are in high demand.

A manager might be able to pick up one or two of these types on Bosmans or loans but you won’t get the 5 or 6 needed to put together a championship winning team who competes well in Europe on our budget.

Having said that in the last 3 seasons we’ve wasted a lot of our money bringing in players who are not better than the ones we just got out the door. A decent slice of our transfer dealings this season have been dreadful.

The reality is we need more money to buy that strong mentality born winner type as they are in high demand.

A manager might be able to pick up one or two of these types on Bosmans or loans but you won’t get the 5 or 6 needed to put together a championship winning team who competes well in Europe on our budget.

Having said that in the last 3 seasons we’ve wasted a lot of our money bringing in players who are not better than the ones we just got out the door. A decent slice of our transfer dealings this season have been dreadful.

That’s what I am meaning mate.

Warburton brought in players not good enough nor have the correct attitude which cost him in the end.

Pedro was Pedro and it was just a disaster from start to finish.

Gerrard is only learning but he will have to learn fast and I think he will, Grezda he knows he’s made a mistake there and I think Borna is moving towards that stage now. Had his chances.

But we still have players from both previous era’s who are not used to sitting even close in 2nd place and 2 of them players were mentality not at the races yesterday.

Gerrard has probably sorted out some of our worst worries in McGregor and Goldson.

But we are missing a leader on the park still.

I am not comparing us but Valencia have about 3/4 top quality players without them they are shit.

Us without Alfredo Morelos we simply aren’t anything at the moment. The only leader we have who is quality.

We need to make start on the team mentality with the players we have. The manager has had too much respect for the players and it's not mutual. He now has to be ruthless or this will continue.

I tend to agree with this. A lot is being said about our recruitment and how we haven't brought in enough quality players. If you think back to Walter's second spell we bought Thomson and Whittaker from Hibs, Naismith from Killie, Darcheville was picked up for free, Cuellar came in for £2.3m, Davis and Lafferty signed, Shagger was there. It's very similar transfer activity to Gerrard's.

Smith was able to instil a winning mentality into these players and that for me is what's missing in our team just now. They have shown that they can perform to the required standard but they don't do it week in week out.

Now I know Smith was an exceptional manager and Gerrard is a rookie and I'm not trying to compare the two but maybe as Commentator says Gerrard needs to get a bit more ruthless. It's also got to be remembered that it's still early days in Gerrard's tenure and he's still learning so a bit of patience is required.

I think Gerrard is simply not getting the best from our players.
Whether it's tactics or behind the scenes stuff who knows.
He needs to instill a winning mentality that's his job

Latest posts

Back