The Mirror claiming Benetiz to Celtic

Can see celtic rolling out the ‘There was world renowned managers wanting the job bet after after speaking to him we thought Ross Jack was what Celtic needed’

Hopefully not true, would rather they didnt get him and if they do they aren't going to give him pennis to work with he will get plenty.

It's not impossible if Dodgy Dermot puts his hand in his pocket. Benitez family still stay in the Liverpool area so that may be an attraction for him to take the job. However as someone once said " We welcome the chase"

He is a superb manager. Let’s not pretend he isn’t I can see him go back to Newcastle.
Don't see him him going back to Newcastle.
If, and it's a big if, he ends up at Celtic we should welcome the challenge. It would raise the profile of the game here.
I have every faith in Steven Gerrard coming out on top in that particular battle.

It would be too great a risk for them. They are already on a financial shoggly peg so for them to put more cash up and go further into debt is a non starter.
They will probably post a 40 million plus loss this year!

Who is going to care about being disrespectful to SG mate? Benitez? That's not how football work plus they aren't close anyway.
Yes Benitez. Just seems a bit of a prick move when he could have his pick of any clubs to come and try and knock Gerrard off his perch.
That is based on the two massive assumptions that they were close and also that this story actually has some truth to it.

In the off chance that the Mirror is correct, let's have a quick look at how things went for Benitez last season:

Manager of Dalian Pro.

League consists of 2 Groups of 8 teams, who play each team in their group home and away. Top 4 from each group then play for final positions 1st to 8th and bottom 4 from each group then play for final positions 9th to 16th in a home/away cup format style.

Main league - Finished 7th out of 8 teams. P.14 W.2 D.5 L.7 Pts.11. Finished 23 points behind the leaders (sound familiar?).

Play-Offs - Won their first tie 3-2 on agg, which meant they would finish between 9th & 12th. Lost their next 2 ties, so finished 12th.

Chinese FA Cup - Lost 4-0 in the 1st Round.

Also lost their last League Play-Off game 4-0.

Benitez left by mutual consent (a polite way of saying he was sacked).

Not quite the tactical genius who can turn any team of mediocre players into winners.
He smells the Real Madrid job coming up!

The turnaround between the Old Firm can be as quick as a season, we’ve seen that in the past but; their squad needs a complete overhaul. Not even Pep Guardiola is making a team out of Ajer, Frimpong, Greg Taylor, Turnbull, Soro, Christie, McGregor.

A number of them want away from the club. Duffy, Laxalt, Ntcham, Edouard and a few others won’t be there next season. Obviously it doesn’t cost £90m to shape a squad in Scotland but it does take money and time.

I’d say their whole football operations is a mess. Money is no quick fix and I doubt they’ve got money to burn.

They sent Paul Brennan out last week to put a damper on talk of Eddie Howe and tell them they are looking for an up and coming coach etc.

I genuinely think the Mirror have been duped by that wind up letter.

Hes not joining them

But you can't judge any manager on his record in China given given sanctions they impose on that league

Not a shred of worry from me. Nothing he can do will change the course of history this season. Bet SG would relish going head to head with him tho, read his books and although SG respects him don’t think they got on great.

But Rafa Benitez pyoor wun eh champyins leeg n at no n eez pyoor heavy pals wi Gerrard n at is well n at.

Yaaaas, at meens en weew win eh champyins leeg an aw en win it? Hhaaa no danger man haha, Rafa wiw get us 10 an aw en n at.

pyoor mentuw man.”

Get yourselves to absolute fuck man. The guys past it. A mercenary for money. Anyone who goes to China just rattles their reputation so badly, he’s got little credibility left. Unless he gets wrongly offered a huge job, he’s now a mid level manager.

Plus there is absolutely zero evidence anywhere that he’s even been looked at for them, so really that hack has been duped by the fake WhatsApp letter going round basically. Diddy.

I would more judge him on when was the last time he was considered a success.

Napoli back in 2015.

I don’t buy into the support at Newcastle. Won the championship and kept them up a couple of seasons. Hardly ground breaking considering what some promoted teams have done after coming up.

Fair point! i was taking a few things into consideration tho that was just the most recent thing in ma head! With thier wage bill and no substantial income for best part of a yr so far id imagine they've burned through serious amounts of cash the players they have tied to long term contracts who are shite etc I can't see them having enough to pay off lennon, pay benitez , his backroom team, pay off the dross and rebuild a team that benitez would want! just my opinion ive no idea but I'm certain there will be far more tempting offers for him elsewhere:)

Their chairman is a billionaire, if he wants him he can more than afford it.

Yes Benitez. Just seems a bit of a prick move when he could have his pick of any clubs to come and try and knock Gerrard off his perch.
That is based on the two massive assumptions that they were close and also that this story actually has some truth to it.

They werent close. SG rates him highly but says Benitez was very cold towards him.

Also, Gerrard came here when Rodgers was. That's football.

He's a good manager I wouldn't judge him on his record in China. I don't think he will end up at the tims anyway they won't have the budget for him he will end up back at an EPL club.

But Rafa Benitez pyoor wun eh champyins leeg n at no n eez pyoor heavy pals wi Gerrard n at is well n at.

Yaaaas, at meens en weew win eh champyins leeg an aw en win it? Hhaaa no danger man haha, Rafa wiw get us 10 an aw en n at.

pyoor mentuw man.”

Get yourselves to absolute fuck man. The guys past it. A mercenary for money. Anyone who goes to China just rattles their reputation so badly, he’s got little credibility left. Unless he gets wrongly offered a huge job, he’s now a mid level manager.

Plus there is absolutely zero evidence anywhere that he’s even been looked at for them, so really that hack has been duped by the fake WhatsApp letter going round basically. Diddy.
Little credibility? He's won the champions league and managed the likes of Liverpool, Inter Milan and Real Madrid. Dont think there would be many turning down 1 million a month just to go to China for a bit either.

I'm pretty sure these are only making headlines because of that bait photo that was posted the other day which made the bookies slash odds.

Let's not pretend he's not a good manager just because it's them, that's just delusional lol.

Just to plays devils advocate here, I remember people doing this routine with Rodgers too, the infamous GioLoyal even proclaimed Warburton would ensure he disappeared back down south with his tail between his legs.

Regardless of Benitez’s stint in China he is a top manager and there’s no sense in trying to do mental gymnastics to convince ourselves otherwise. I don’t think he’s going to end up at the piggery though, having a reputation like his means he’ll get more lucrative offers.
Spot on post. Rafa is a very good coach. He would improve players. Has a decent record at Newcastle relative to the clubs situation.

I doubt he will manage in Glasgow. If he does go to them we shouldn’t rubbish him.

He would cost them a fortune and wouldn't have money to sign the high calibre players he Is used to working with, bring it on
Exactly , don’t really care if the story is actually true . In fact I hope it is . FFP maybe be a issue if Desmond tried to bankroll it :D .

He would be a significant upgrade on TLB but then that wouldn't be hard.

Benetiz likes spending money. He ain't going to them unless they promise him a huge wage and also a huge exit fee if things go south because he knows the premise in the first sentence won't happen, so having a large insurance policy is top priority.

Its not happening.

If Benitez was “set to join Celtic” do you think Lawwell would not be out shouting from the rooftops via his puppets ? It’s a lot of shite caused by a fake letter which is hilarious

Quite a bit jumps out that article that makes me chuckle.

£12million-a-year job in China
Not gonna get anything close to that at Shelfco
He left Newcastle in the summer of 2019 after failing to agree a new contract
If Newcastle don't pay enough then no chance the scum will
also managed Valencia, Inter Milan, Napoli and Real Madrid
On top of all that he managed Chelsea and Liverpool as well. Why would he take a massive managerial and financial step back coming to Scotland?
And that best quote of all from that article
His sudden availability means Celtic have a world-class replacement for Lennon
Has he signed like?

Wonder if season ticket renewal is coming up?

Just to plays devils advocate here, I remember people doing this routine with Rodgers too, the infamous GioLoyal even proclaimed Warburton would ensure he disappeared back down south with his tail between his legs.

Regardless of Benitez’s stint in China he is a top manager and there’s no sense in trying to do mental gymnastics to convince ourselves otherwise. I don’t think he’s going to end up at the piggery though, having a reputation like his means he’ll get more lucrative offers.
He is a top manager mate , but tbh it won’t be Warburton type he’s dealing with , even if was any truth in the story :D .

Spot on post. Rafa is a very good coach. He would improve players. Has a decent record at Newcastle relative to the clubs situation.

I doubt he will manage in Glasgow. If he does go to them we shouldn’t rubbish him.
Was part of the lure of Newcastle not the locality of his family? I'm pretty sure his family are still located in Liverpool.

That said, I can't see him managing Celtic. I could see him managing in the EPL at Arsenal

U think he will match an epl wage for him and his team aswel as bankrolling tens of millions for a rebuild? They didn't even want to pay the going rate for mcginn :))

You never know that b*stard hates us. Maybe it will make him dip into his pocket. Just think it's silly and childish everybody making out he's a sh*t manager who wont improve them.

Little credibility? He's won the champions league and managed the likes of Liverpool, Inter Milan and Real Madrid. Dont think there would be many turning down 1 million a month just to go to China for a bit either.

I'm pretty sure these are only making headlines because of that bait photo that was posted the other day which made the bookies slash odds.

Let's not pretend he's not a good manager just because it's them, that's just delusional lol.
I fully get what your saying, but sorry mate, for me, going to China just bombs your reputation. For a few million sheckles, oh aye I would take it but it’s at the detriment of a bigger thing, him getting further success in Europe and cementing his name as one of the better modern managers of his time.
I’m not decrying his status or his previous successes, yes he’s won things, and he’s managed big clubs. But I’m sorry, once you go to China your a dead rubber.

If he was in Europe still and perhaps challenging for titles, then we could say he would be a major threat coming here. Right now I’m not sure he would be, unless he feels he’s got something to prove, and if that’s the case then he would be making a huge mistake coming to Scotland.

Im not sure even with his talents that he would be able to dethrone his former captain, I very much doubt it.

I have never understood why people on here say they couldn’t afford Benitez. They paid Rodgers an absolute fortune. Their wage bill is, what, more than £1m a week. Paying Benitez whatever it would cost - call it £3m a year - seems entirely plausible to me. And that is before you take account of the fact that if, and yes it is an if, a manager is the difference between making one good signing rather than one bad signing then he pays for himself there and then. If he is the difference between signing a good goalkeeper rather than a Barkas then he pays for himself.

If you want to argue that Benitez wouldn’t fancy a job in Scotland then I get that. But I just don’t get the assumption that they couldn’t afford him.

Let's not start re writing history, Benitez is a top class manager.

But are we not confident enough in the mannthat we have in post right now. Steven Gerrard is improving as a manager impeccably year on year and I have the utmost confidence he would be more than capable of keeping Benitez at bay if he where to join that lot.

Yes, I can see the famously stubborn and headstrong Rafa Benitez pitching up at Parkhead and having signing after signing foisted upon him by that well know football genius Peter Lawwell.

Just read the article, very vague. Pure guess work as far as I'm concerned, nothing concrete in the article whatsoever. Even if it is true, Stevie G will sort out the fat Spanish waiter!!

He is a superb manager. Let’s not pretend he isn’t I can see him go back to Newcastle.
I dont think I've ever seen two more contradictory sentences in the one paragraph before.

If he was a superb manager, why would he go to Newcastle?!

Back