The Mirror claiming Benetiz to Celtic

I wouldn’t be worried if they got Benitez but I’d be amazed he’d go there unless he’s been offered stupid money and a heavy transfer chest to buy players as he doesn’t develop players. I’d file this under BS.

I wish bookies would give odds on Benitez not to go to Celtic.

Rather than the other way round.

Not that it will happen, but why would hiring a highly rated, champions league winning manager be a colossal mistake?

Benitez is becoming a mercenary who is living on his previous reputation as a hungry young coach who won big things. His attitude these days will be 'how much am I getting?' as opposed to wanting a project.

They need a complete football operation overhaul. They simply do not have the money to do that with a very expensive manager at the helm who would demand massive transfer funding with little to no interest of building something for years to come.

If there is a scintilla of truth in this i just hope Benetiz knows what he is doing.

A squad of players, a lot of whom are very poor and if rumours are true would rather be elsewhere.

Would be a team building challenge from the beginning which i dont think the board or fans of that lot would accept.

If there is a scintilla of truth in this i just hope Benetiz knows what he is doing.

A squad of players, a lot of whom are very poor and if rumours are true would rather be elsewhere.

Would be a team building challenge from the beginning which i dont think the board or fans of that lot would accept.
I hope he doesn't have a clue what he's doing if there's a scintilla of truth.

It's the £3m a year part that seems unlikely. I reckon he'd cost at least double that given the offers he'll have.

A couple of his former clubs could be looking for a new manager soon. His stock in Europe will always be very high.

If they somehow managed to make it happen, fair play to them. He'd be a huge appointment, and probably push the reputation of the Scottish game even higher again. I just can't imagine he'd be anywhere near affordable.
Fair enough. If a Benitez costs £6m a year then I agree that I don't think they would pay that. But if he, or indeed any top manager, in fact was to cost say £2-4m per year then I think it is perfectly plausible that they would pay that. More than ever, a good manager and a good head of recruitment are absolutely vital to clubs like the Old Firm. Indeed we are the living embodiment of that at the moment - and the fact that we aren't paying Gerrard a fortune is an added bonus (not that I would begrudge him a penny of it if we were and indeed I hope he is on a healthy title win bonus). If you have to push the boat out a bit to do that then it is well worth doing.

On top of that any players they had of significant value, Eduoard, Ntcham, Ajer, Christie? have been allowed to run down their contracts so will not command the kind of fees that mob need for the rebuild required.
It’s unlikely Benitez would go without the guarantee that mega money will be available for him to spend. Regardless, as I’ve said before, I wouldn’t lose much sleep if they did manage to get him. Defensive minded and very overrated, still living on his time with Liverpool all those years ago. What has he done since?
I heard Jermaine Pennant talking on the radio about Steven Gerrard while a player at Liverpool. He said Benitez would speak in the dressing room and when he was done the players would all turn to Stevie G to get the real story. The impression Pennant was giving was that our Stevie was the real man in charge.

I'd guess he'd do it for free.

That's why he did a year stint in China - get his £12m, set him up financially for life so that he can get the job at "ra hoops" that he's dreamt of since he was a boy.

I can’t see it, I don’t think he’d put himself through the hassle of taking a day to day management job for any less £3.7m basic.

Last edited:
I heard Jermaine Pennant talking on the radio about Steven Gerrard while a player at Liverpool. He said Benitez would speak in the dressing room and when he was done the players would all turn to Stevie G to get the real story. The impression Pennant was giving was that our Stevie was the real man in charge.

Tactically, Benitez was excellent as per our own gaffer's words. In fact, a lot of our Euro performances are very heavily influenced by Benitez.

However, in Scotland, it's very rarely down to tactics.

They have sung about Ten in a row at EVERY SINGLE match since 2013.

‘WHEN we do the 10’ has been the talking point for all the pish stained ex-players in and around their corporate facilities and supporter functions.

They entrusted the delivery of their self-confessed holy grail to Neil Lennon - a cheap option they appointed in the showers who imploded at both Bolton and Hibs.

If Fritzel and Pope Peter embark on an ego trip and go out and spunk somewhere in the region of £5million in wages on a proper manager ONCE IT’S GONE - as well as the transfer budget such a manager would demand - I will pish my frilly knickers laughing at their sheer fucking stupidityB-D

Benitez is a mercenary, like most professionals he will follow the money. Steven Gerrard came to us to make his name as a manager and learn his trade, I believe it has become more than that now, Benitez and his ilk will have only one concern and that is who will give him the most cash, he will come in and do a job no doubt, but will leave nothing for his replacement to work with when he leaves, I think it's BS but if by some chance it did happen it would be a shortsighted appointment to appease the angry mob, and if we keep progressing as we are would not affect us in the slightest.

Benitez is a mercenary, like most professionals he will follow the money. Steven Gerrard came to us to make his name as a manager and learn his trade, I believe it has become more than that now, Benitez and his ilk will have only one concern and that is who will give him the most cash, he will come in and do a job no doubt, but will leave nothing for his replacement to work with when he leaves, I think it's BS but if by some chance it did happen it would be a shortsighted appointment to appease the angry mob, and if we keep progressing as we are would not affect us in the slightest.

He’d have stayed in China if it’s truly all about the Benjamins.

After tax he won’t get a third of what he was on in China (in The EPL).

Sacked by Liverpool
Sacked by Milan
Contract not renewed by Chelsea
Sacked by Real Madrid
Sacked by Napoli
Contract not renewed by Newcastle
Team he left in China sitting second bottom of the league
Not won a domestic title since he was at Valencia
Butt's head with just about every owner/CEO he's worked under
Dinosaur of the game

Not denying how good he is a coach and he has had his fair share of great results, also has a good European record but I genuinely think he is one of the most overrated managers out there. I hope they spend a fortune to get him, they won't be able to give him the budget he would expect to work with which would have him at loggerheads with their board. Would be hilarious to watch
Hardly the CV of a ‘superb manager’, very competent coach who’s tactical nous demands a degree of respect...But skidling about with perennial underachievers Newcastle and doing no more than a competent job before heading to a Chinese backwater to fail miserably does not suggest he’s a ‘superb manager’.

It’s nice to see the filth support and their media lackeys get duped once again, but let’s be honest Benitez is a ‘c/d’ list manager who has short term peaks which have elevated his status beyond his lack of staying power and consistency!

The mirror have taken that fake letter and made themselves look like idiots but the record and sun cant not also go with it now in case it is true (which it isnt).

Yip. That's what I'm getting at mate.

They aren't making any comment on the story themselves and aren't putting their name to it.

What they are getting is a lot of clicks.

Hardly the CV of a ‘superb manager’, very competent coach who’s tactical nous demands a degree of respect...But skidling about with perennial underachievers Newcastle and doing no more than a competent job before heading to a Chinese backwater to fail miserably does not suggest he’s a ‘superb manager’.

It’s nice to see the filth support and their media lackeys get duped once again, but let’s be honest Benitez is a ‘c/d’ list manager who has short term peaks which have elevated his status beyond his lack of staying power and consistency!

2 x la Liga at Valencia

Liverpool

Inter Milan

Chelsea

Napoli

Newcastle United

The same letter published on the Huddleboard yesterday, claiming that he was approached before he went to China and where he said he had already accepted a job, but would consider it in the future,

Done little of note since his firefighting job at Chelsea, almost a decade ago now which also serves a purpose of realising how quick time passes!

It’s obviously a non-runner this story, but as others have said we have nothing to fear given how Benitez’s career has gone the last few years in comparison to our progressive and upwardly mobile management team. Rafa is yesterday’s man - two decades ago he was in his pomp - bring him and his crippling salary on

Done little of note since his firefighting job at Chelsea, almost a decade ago now which also serves a purpose of realising how quick time passes!

It’s obviously a non-runner this story, but as others have said we have nothing to fear given how Benitez’s career has gone the last few years in comparison to our progressive and upwardly mobile management team. Rafa is yesterday’s man - two decades ago he was in his pomp - bring him and his crippling salary on

I simply posted a counter to the assertion that he had a CV that was hardly of note.

I think that; all things considered , he did a ver good job at Newcastle, re the switch to China, purely to ensure that his grandchildren's Grandchildren will never have to worry about where their next Porsche is coming from.

Apparently there are several reasons for him leaving China, Guillem Balague has a post on Twitter regarding Rafa. He doesn’t mention any clubs, other than to say several agents have been in touch. Being away from his family appears to be a huge reason, he’s looking to something closer to home (Merseyside) so don’t rule that mob out of the running.
He left over concerns for his family over Covid,no doubt he wouldn't be short of offers, can't see him going there as they would have to chuck serious money at it,which they'll be reluctant to part with.

You're having to pad that out with meaningless baubles such as charity shields, world club championships etc not to mention super cups. He is not consistently successful, started well at Valencia but thereafter there are no league titles.

I would count Ferguson, Jose, Pep, Shankly, Paisley ,Busby, Struth etc as superb managers...Long consistent records of huge success at big clubs. Your list merely confirms that his success is sporadic and largely underwhelming.

Respected coach, journeyman manager with chequered history of boom, bust and sackings!

Guilliam Balague (sp) tweet

Rafa Benitez to Celtic? There was interest in him but not an option today

He's going to rest for a bit, despite offers (from Germany, also a national side...)

By the way, about Celtic: there is a false document doing the rounds (check the phone number )

You're having to pad that out with meaningless baubles such as charity shields, world club championships etc not to mention super cups. He is not consistently successful, started well at Valencia but thereafter there are no league titles.

I would count Ferguson, Jose, Pep, Shankly, Paisley ,Busby, Struth etc as superb managers...Long consistent records of huge success at big clubs. Your list merely confirms that his success is sporadic and largely underwhelming.

Respected coach, journeyman manager with chequered history of boom, bust and sackings!

Journeyman manager :))

Okay, you’ve convinced me.

Back