The Mols turn

Mols is one of the best players ever to grace Ibrox, I absolutely loved him as a player.
The only other player to seriously attempt the Mols’ turn was of course Tierney and we know what that did to his hips. This should not be tried by inferior talents.

I was there today and it was a joy to see Mols still.perfect that turn

I remember seeing Mols for the first time and thought he was possibly the most technically gifted player to play for us; certainly as a striker. There was no closing him down in tight spaces etc.

Other strikers were better at different facets of the game but I can state quite categorically that the best striker with his back to the goal that I have ever seen was Michael Mols. I do not think anyone else even comes close in that regard.

an amazing way to skin a defender and create loads of space to get a shot off.
Really surprised you don't see it copied.

The Mols turn is as unique as the Cruyff turn, many may try and execute it, but only the master themselves can do it at will.
His technic and ability to create space was a joy to watch, as all above have said, he is my biggest “what if” in football. I believe he could have led us to the highest heights, he was that good.

Not a single mols turn gif uploaded yet leaves me gutted :(
Wish I could work that sorta thing!

The man was having a blinder against Bayern that night....unplayable, freak injury tho Khan was a mile out if I remember correctly....?

The Mark Walters double shuffle where players knew it was coming but he still pulled it off was another piece of sublime skill that you could never master.

MM turn never included a broken down car if I remember right.

Surely you or Drew must have footage you can share with us . Didn’t MM push of his right leg ?
I would have screwed myself into the ground trying to do it.
I was just going to post that he could do it either side.
First goal against Dunfermline in May 03, he spun onto his right foot, for example.

It should be taught every single day to every single kid at the academy
Given that so few players seem to have perfected this, that based on me having seen only Ronald de Boer come close and nowhere near as often, it can’t be too easy to teach.

Given that so few players seem to have perfected this, that based on me having seen only Ronald de Boer come close and nowhere near as often, it can’t be too easy to teach.

Think that is because it takes as much instinct as it does skill and instinct cannot be taught.

I used to do it at 5's. You needed to know you were doing it well before the pass came cos it takes a lot of effort, pushing back off from your left leg once youve moved your weight that direction is difficult and counterintuitive. Its not very often i got the chance to try it. Worked a dream when you pulled it off though.

Same. You had to have the stars align on the pitch to do it. And like you say it feels completely alien in many ways.

I think mols does it a way that is so much more aesthetically satisfying and effective but we had another player who did a similar turn and I’m guessing it was more his version we done than the slick Mols version. That player was RDB.

One of my biggest regrets as a Rangers fan, and it always will be, is that we never witnessed Mols pre injury against the filth.

We played the filth the Sunday after Munich I'm sure and ran out easy 4-2 winners.

Could you imagine what Mols and his turn would have done to immobiles like Stubbs and Mjalby?

I like Ryan Kent .But there's no comparison between the two . Watch the turns that Mols did in the box against many teams . Kent doesn't get into the same positions as Mols did .
Kent more about n common with a young Durant full of energy and movement

I actually did a Mols turn once which is astonishing considering how immobile I am.

I did it, realised what I had done and stopped and got the ball taken off me.

I don't think it is something Mols even thinks about doing - it is just a natural thing in his locker.

Mols was up there with Gascoigne and Laudrup for me.

We were robbed of a genuine world class player.

I actually did a Mols turn once which is astonishing considering how immobile I am.

I did it, realised what I had done and stopped and got the ball taken off me.

I don't think it is something Mols even thinks about doing - it is just a natural thing in his locker.

Mols was up there with Gascoigne and Laudrup for me.

We were robbed of a genuine world class player.
It wasnt just that he did it instinctively without thinking, the space he used to create for himself was outstanding.

I used to do it at 5's. You needed to know you were doing it well before the pass came cos it takes a lot of effort, pushing back off from your left leg once youve moved your weight that direction is difficult and counterintuitive. Its not very often i got the chance to try it. Worked a dream when you pulled it off though.
I know exactly what you mean about needing to know beforehand. I managed to pull it off in what felt like slow motion recently. It still worked, even at a snail's pace.

Still convinced if it was not for injury, he could have been our greatest ever

Agreed. A real “what if” tale if ever there was one.

On the Mols turn, I was reminiscing about getting utterly skinned by a German lad called Silvio in a bounce match near Bielefeld on another thread.

So, people were capable of learning the Mols turn, just not me. LOL :D

Everytime he returns to Ibrox for games such as Saturday I'm desperate for him to score. One of my all time favourite Rangers player. That injury still sickens me thinking about it cos I genuinely believe he would've been one of the greatest ever to play for us.

Back