The Mols turn

When I was young I wasn't really interested in football (which I regret now as we had some incredible players in the 90s) it was seeing Mols play that got me into football.. went from never kicking a ball in my life to practicing the wee turns for hours on end (and falling on my arse constantly).

Had been thinking can we not get him to teach it to Alfie and Defoe, an hour a day just doing that trick

Reactions: TQ3
Had been thinking can we not get him to teach it to Alfie and Defoe, an hour a day just doing that trick
I used to do it at 5's. You needed to know you were doing it well before the pass came cos it takes a lot of effort, pushing back off from your left leg once youve moved your weight that direction is difficult and counterintuitive. Its not very often i got the chance to try it. Worked a dream when you pulled it off though.

I used to do it at 5's. You needed to know you were doing it well before the pass came cos it takes a lot of effort, pushing back off from your left leg once youve moved your weight that direction is difficult and counterintuitive. Its not very often i got the chance to try it. Worked a dream when you pulled it off though.
So Alfie an Defoe should be training with Mols for a month and perfect this

My hero, I though it was only MM that could do it without trying, do you have video of you in action by any chance as yours may be a better turn as MM

So Alfie an Defoe should be training with Mols for a month and perfect this
It was very difficult to do off the cuff, i could never just do it instinctively because of the effort it took. I needed to plan the movement before the pass came if i had it set up right.

Mols was probably the opposite, he could do it whenever he felt like it.

That turn and his burst of pace of the first 20 yards was incredible!!!

To watch Lilliam Thuram struggle to contain Mols at Ibrox was a joy to behold!!!

My hero, I though it was only MM that could do it without trying, do you have video of you in action by any chance as yours may be a better turn as MM
It definitely wasnt. Think of a broken down car being pushed along, that was what i looked like pushing back off my left leg.

My mate Drew used to do it as well, he was slightly more graceful but i think i was better at it.

It definitely wasnt. Think of a broken down car being pushed along, that was what i looked like pushing back off my left leg.

My mate Drew used to do it as well, he was slightly more graceful but i think i was better at it.
MM turn never included a broken down car if I remember right.

Surely you or Drew must have footage you can share with us . Didn’t MM push of his right leg ?
I would have screwed myself into the ground trying to do it.

Right Club, right man at the right time. We were so unlucky with that injury.
I remember it like yesterday, was sat in my birds now wife’s flat watching the game, I was supposed to be there but I ended up not getting back in time from the states for my flight. That fucking leather chap wearing prick broke my heart that night, even a couple of my German colleagues were sick at that.

That turn when you see it you never understand how it's done.

Hes like a better version of paul Daniel's when he does that move. Mind you the best trick paul Daniel's ever managed was bedding a 30 year old debbie mcghee.

At 15 years old I got a poster of Mols probably from the old Rangers News. It stood proudly above my bed and I would write a record of every goal he scored on the white border below.

Then while on one of the first few dates with my first proper girlfriend, a bus driver watching the CL game on a portable tv informed me he had just fucked his knee. I couldn't believe it.

To me, he will always be the biggest 'what if' in football, not just for Rangers.

Still sending defenders the wrong way at the age of 48/49. In great condition too, built like a tank.

His 4 goals at home to Motherwell, you just knew he was special.

Another player ruined by injury. Michael Mols, what could could have been.

You must be forgetting the turn he done to that donkey that played for the scum .
I like Ryan Kent .But there's no comparison between the two . Watch the turns that Mols did in the box against many teams . Kent doesn't get into the same positions as Mols did .

I done my knee in back in the day trying it. The one where he does it, then does a stepover and goes the other way, he made it look so easy.

Had he carried on without that injury I believe he would be considered alongside Laudrup.

I done my knee in back in the day trying it. The one where he does it, then does a stepover and goes the other way, he made it look so easy.

Had he carried on without that injury I believe he would be considered alongside Laudrup.
For me he's up there with Gazza , God,(laudrup)Cooper and Bobby Russell.

Never been a CF or winger, always preferred players who can move a ball past players without much effort.

For me Mols was simply brilliant. Up there with Cooper and Gazza. Never mind the goals, what he could do with a ball was genius.

I like Ryan Kent .But there's no comparison between the two . Watch the turns that Mols did in the box against many teams . Kent doesn't get into the same positions as Mols did .
That's why I said the closest and not better lol

MM turn never included a broken down car if I remember right.

Surely you or Drew must have footage you can share with us . Didn’t MM push of his right leg ?
I would have screwed myself into the ground trying to do it.
It was 20 years ago. Mobiles had barely been invented, camera phones were only seen in Star Trek.

No you motion to your left so the defender goes that way, at the same time as stopping the ball with your right foot. You then need to immediately push back off your left leg and move the right where you've flicked the ball to.

It was 20 years ago. Mobiles had barely been invented, camera phones were only seen in Star Trek.

No you motion to your left so the defender goes that way, at the same time as stopping the ball with your right foot. You then need to immediately push back off your left leg and move the right where you've flicked the ball to.
is that no the time warp :D

Ronald de Boer had a similar turn.

De Boer (and as some mentioned Kent does something kind of similar twisting his hips to throw a defender off) was as close as I've seen someone come to doing what Mols did.

I dont understand why no one in World football doesn't do it as well.

It's not be impossible to do it with the timing and skill top players / Bluenosebazza have. No one does it at all though let alone to the speed MM did it at

Last edited:
Back