The money weve spent

Wazzah

What a waste of money we have spent on players to many not good enough for our club and the wages there getting shocking half them don't even give a f?? K

Titles over

What's the alternative. We haven't deliberately gone out and bought shite players, we can't afford to shop in the markets where you are guaranteed of quality. We play in an unglamorous and financially poor league. That means that all the players we sign are risks, some will work and some won't.

Kent has been very poor for the outlay. The fact that Gerrard chased him so hard really brings his judgement into question.
Agree with this totally. £7M for not even a reserve player from Liverpool is daylight robbery just now. Along with the money spent on the likes of Grezda etc. I genuinely love Gerrard as the player, but as the manager I am starting to have some serious doubts in his ability as a manager.

The thing that worries me is that our 3 best players are Warburton and Pedro era signings. Even if you throw in McGregor and Davis, they were here previously and hugely successful so it’s not really indicative of top notch scouting is it....:

£7m for kent is a joke
Liverpool weren’t fussed if they sold him or not. Was a great player for us last season and had produced on occasions this time. He’d be miles more effective if the team as a whole played at a faster pace than this Warburton-esque pass for the sake of passing style

We have got decent value for the money spent in my opinion, the problem is we are competing against a club who massively outspends us on players. It's difficult to compete on a third of the wage bill but we did until a few weeks ago.

The thing that worries me is that our 3 best players are Warburton and Pedro era signings. Even if you throw in McGregor and Davis, they were here previously and hugely successful so it’s not really indicative of top notch scouting is it....:
Don’t you think these players have improved immense during Gerrard’s time?
Was Morelos worth eight figures?
Who signed Katic and Barisic?
One wee footnote:

It’s not the best way to look at it anyway.
You’ll remember that three of Souness’s best players were inherited.
Durrant, McCoist and Cooper.
Advocacy’s mainstays included Amoruso, Porrini and Ferguson.
Smith kept Papac, Ferguson and Boyd amongst others.

£7m for kent is a joke

The ‘joke’ was that we paid it.

Personally I wouldn’t have gone above £4m for him. I said so at the time.

For a club in our position to shell out £7m on a player, we needed him to be a genuine matchwinner for us. We essentially needed him to be our star player, one who would make the difference in games like last night or against Aberdeen.

I never felt Kent was that player even last season.

For £7m we could have found a better player with better stats to slot straight in.

Which isn’t to say I don’t rate Kent, I do, and feel he just needs to have more confidence in himself, but the pricetag always threatened to weigh too heavily on his shoulders.

I really hope he can live up to it.

You’re being a bit silly here, are you not?
You can’t say that we don’t need players who will play for the jersey, surely, but obviously we need better quality than I mentioned.....I want to see players who hurt like the fans and that winning for rangers means something to them

That’s a good point that had slipped my notice

Kent has been very poor for the outlay. The fact that Gerrard chased him so hard really brings his judgement into question.
Gerrard and everyone else. Spent the whole summer reading about bringing him home on here. Just goes to show that's the reason none of us work in senior football.

One wee footnote:

Some managers aren’t strong on that side though. Even Rodgers tends to falter the more a team becomes ‘his own’. And I find it concerning when you factor in our biggest hitter will likely be sold off in the summer.

Players have improved and we’ve made some good signings, but it’s not great is it. For what we’re forking out and the changes we’re making I’d expect a Rangers side that can do it at the business end and who don’t seem to crumble if one or two players in particular are either suspended or off form.

ps Souness’s managerial career overall suggests he wasn’t actually a great one.

Last edited:
I’d rather see a team of players like docherty Murphy Mac Gregor and Halliday get beat and hurt because of it, than a team of players who play for the wage and don’t give a fxck

you can’t seriously believe guys like Barisic, Tav, Goldson etc don’t care that we are struggling.

The team that is spending the most money on transfer fees and wages will generally finish first. The team that finishes in second place will likely spend the second most on fees and wages. It's entirely expected that we're in 2nd place and well ahead of the 3rd placed team. We're trying to overturn a massive financial disparity. It isn't easy but it can be done. We need to continue supporting the team and backing them while we are improving and getting to the same level in terms of spending.

I’d rather see a team of players like docherty Murphy Mac Gregor and Halliday get beat and hurt because of it, than a team of players who play for the wage and don’t give a fxck

Halliday is one of the least talented players we've had at the club in the last 20 years. I don't think it's any surprise that we lost with him starting, and the challenge is finding someone better than he is that isn't going to be upset at not featuring regularly due to Barisic's form.

you can’t seriously believe guys like Barisic, Tav, Goldson etc don’t care that we are struggling.
I honestly don’t know what to think......Goldson and Tav, I do believe, cause they’ve been here long enough but Aribo, Kamara, Ojo, Edmundson etc, for all we know may just have been sold a dream of rangers being a stepping stone, in order to get them to rangers in first place

We've signed a right few that's not worked out:

Grezda
Lafferty
Barker
Jones
Sadiq
McAuley

Maybe it was due circumstances that we desperately needed to bring folk in quick style and took a gamble.

We've signed a right few that's not worked out:

Grezda
Lafferty
Barker
Jones
Sadiq
McAuley

Maybe it was due circumstances that we desperately needed to bring folk in quick style and took a gamble.
And what is the amount spent on said 6 players?

Most if not all of Gerrards signings are questionable to be honest.

They are not performing for him at the moment and this could be the biggest test of his management career.

We lost about 25m of players during the admin period. Taking into account market value etc, we would probably need to have spent 50-60m to gain that level over the time frame since then. We need another transfer window or two, that will see us bang on a level footing to challenge. The fact that we are challenging (which we are) is remarkable in itself, never mind Europe.

He was young player of the year and majority of our support practically begged for him to come back ffs.

If that wasn't an indication of his pedigree for want if a word up here then I'm not sure what is.

The lad is young and not played a lot of top level football until he came to us - he was good and we spent thinking we'd have that same player.

Possibly the price tag amongst other things is affecting him but to say SG was ill informed to 'chase' him us ridiculous

The team that is spending the most money on transfer fees and wages will generally finish first. The team that finishes in second place will likely spend the second most on fees and wages. It's entirely expected that we're in 2nd place and well ahead of the 3rd placed team. We're trying to overturn a massive financial disparity. It isn't easy but it can be done. We need to continue supporting the team and backing them while we are improving and getting to the same level in terms of spending.
This as well, I agree.

Doesnt help that he is being played out of position and being told to cover the entire opponents half. 6 times out of 10 he looks for an out ball to find 2/3 players around him and nobody stepping in to help him. even worse when Borna isnt playing.

Reactions: MSF
He was young player of the year and majority of our support practically begged for him to come back ffs.

If that wasn't an indication of his pedigree for want if a word up here then I'm not sure what is.

The lad is young and not played a lot of top level football until he came to us - he was good and we spent thinking we'd have that same player.

Possibly the price tag amongst other things is affecting him but to say SG was ill informed to 'chase' him us ridiculous
Yeap - I'm sure a lot on this forum was going mental for us to buy him whatever the price :)

The ‘joke’ was that we paid it.

Personally I wouldn’t have gone above £4m for him. I said so at the time.

For a club in our position to shell out £7m on a player, we needed him to be a genuine matchwinner for us. We essentially needed him to be our star player, one who would make the difference in games like last night or against Aberdeen.

I never felt Kent was that player even last season.

For £7m we could have found a better player with better stats to slot straight in.

Which isn’t to say I don’t rate Kent, I do, and feel he just needs to have more confidence in himself, but the pricetag always threatened to weigh too heavily on his shoulders.

I really hope he can live up to it.
He's having a better season than last year. Nearly everybody was happy when we signed him permanently, he's out of form.

One wee footnote:

Far too many substandard players have been signed over the last 18 months, rather than signing 35 or so players it would have better to go with around 15 better quality signings with youth making up any potential gaps in the squad.

Every manager makes bad signings from time to time but you can't make about a dozen or so of these types in under two seasons.

We haven't really spent a lot of money for a club playing in Europe in late February.

We've spent a lot compared to the likes of Kilmarnock, Hearts and Aberdeen.
None of these teams can be proud of their European records, but by furk they like to put one over the Rangers.

Some perspective required here.

What a waste of money we have spent on players to many not good enough for our club and the wages there getting shocking half them don't even give a f?? K

Titles over
If you want the definition of waste of money, look back at Pedro's signings pal.

Back