Barker - miss
Hagi - undecided
Kamberi - undecided
Helander - Hit
Ojo - so so - closer to miss
Aribo - Hit
Edmundson - appears to he a hit
King - miss

Don't think I have missed anybody there. Pretty much everybody brought in to be a first team player has been a good signing. So far it's the squad additions that have been lacking.

Notably we still havent spent any serious money on midfield. That, and a replacement for Morelos, has to be the focus going forward.

We have spent millions on previous teams and got some shocking results (worse than anything this season). It's no time to panic.

Honestly we’ve had some decent value from a lot of our signings imo. Got to bear in mind that their wage bill is still about £25 million higher than ours

Kent has been very poor for the outlay. The fact that Gerrard chased him so hard really brings his judgement into question.
We all did. We were all desperate for him to sign and now when you really think about it we’ve got to wonder why?

simply based on his performances and “hate” he has for Celtic when he plays

What a waste of money we have spent on players to many not good enough for our club and the wages there getting shocking half them don't even give a f?? K

Titles over

Best players this season:

McGregor - already here
Davis - already here
Alfie - already here
Jack - already here
Barisic - bought by manager
Tav - already here

Fairly grim actually when you look at it.

We have decent players, some may be struggling for form at the moment but I think its our inability to change our approach when its not working.

We have to change Shape/ formation/ tactics/ personnel quicker when things aren't going right.

Its getting a little bit Warburtonesque now.

We've a lot of "project" players if you like. Katic, Kent, Aribo, Hagi who are only starting there careers and at this time aren't consistent enough. We've not got the money to get ready made guys in. Gerrard obviously decided to get numbers in rather than concentrating on getting 2-3 certain starters.

There is a lot of talent in this squad. You don’t beat Porto over two legs with dross. You don’t go to the Scumhut and pass the league champions off the park with dross.

SG has bought a lot of very good footballers. They have the ability but not the mentality.

Fortunately you can teach the second, not the first.

This is hard right now but we can use this period as a marker for the future. We are about to find out who really wants to be here and will be stronger moving forward as a result.

Not sure why Kent gets judged by his transfer fee. We didnt write a cheque for £7m, the deal will be structured in a way that suits our budget. He's been out of sorts recently i think due to to trying to do everything himself, getting surrounded by the opposition and getting instructed to play too centrally. All in my humble opinion of course.

McGregor - already here
Davis - already here
Alfie - already here
Jack - already here
Tav - already here

Not really, the manager is in charge of developing all the players in the squad and of those above Davis, Jack, Morelos and Barisic are all better this season than last. We should be at a point when we sign fewer but better quality players. Hagi hopefully fits that mould.

Let's see how the season pans out and then we will have a chance to improve again in the summer.

We are getting better. So are they unfortunately. We have made mistakes buy also been fuked over by some horrendous decisions.

We have more points at this stage of the season than our last 3 league wins by the way.

Celtic being rampant is the big issue. And why shouldn't they be when financially they are so far in front of everybody else?

McGregor - already here
Davis - already here
Alfie - already here
Jack - already here
Tav - already here

I might be wrong but did the current manager / management team not sign McGregor and Davis. From your list that would give 50:50 and I would suggest that The three already here have improved as players, but that’s an opinion.

Not sure why Kent gets judged by his transfer fee. We didnt write a cheque for £7m, the deal will be structured in a way that suits our budget. He's been out of sorts recently i think due to to trying to do everything himself, getting surrounded by the opposition and getting instructed to play too centrally. All in my humble opinion of course.

I agree. I would also add that I very much doubt we paid, or have agreed to pay, £7m for him.

McGregor - already here
Davis - already here
Alfie - already here
Jack - already here
Tav - already here

Shock horror, players who are at the club longer perform better.

Same thing happens around the world. Players don’t hit top form until the second season mostly,

Also Jack & Morelos have been improved tenfold by the coaching team.

McGregor - already here
Davis - already here
Alfie - already here
Jack - already here
Tav - already here

Or a sign that it takes longer than people seem to want to give our players to get settled and consistent.

Gerrard was forced to do a re build on the cheap, buying in the bargain basement and hoping to unearth gems, future talents and throw in a few loan signings, was never going to work in the real world.
Kent aside-money not well spent imo, we have not spent big, but bought a whole number of similar type squad players. That was a tough ask to get right and challenge, so it doesn't surprise me that its not going to work.
Only better quality players requiring a significant financial spend will change the dynamic.

I can remember Tottenham having Kyle walker and Gareth bale on the same side. I feel we might have the same problem. We have 2 very attacking full backs meaning we have to play our wide men (no10s as I keep hearing them called) on the opposite side meaning they have to come inside instead of getting to the bye line. Get them playing on the natural side leaving Alfie in the middle for the delivery

We are also on track to score more and concede less than our last 3 title wins.

Be pretty harsh to criticise if we end up with better goals scored, less conceded and more points and still dont win the league.

Under Gerrard we have signed

18/19

Goldson - Hit
Barisic - Hit
Katic - Hit
Kamara - Hit
Grezda - Miss
Lafferty - Miss
McGregor - Hit
Arfield - Hit
Flanagan - so so
Polster - so so
Davis - Hit
Defoe - Hit
Ejaria - Miss
Kent - Hit
Macauley - so so
Worrall - Hit
Sadiq - Miss
Coulibaly - so so

19/20

Jones - undecided
Stewart - undecided
Hastie - undecided
Barker - miss
Hagi - undecided
Kamberi - undecided
Helander - Hit
Ojo - so so - closer to miss
Aribo - Hit
Edmundson - appears to he a hit
King - miss

Don't think I have missed anybody there. Pretty much everybody brought in to be a first team player has been a good signing. So far it's the squad additions that have been lacking.

Notably we still havent spent any serious money on midfield. That, and a replacement for Morelos, has to be the focus going forward.

We have spent millions on previous teams and got some shocking results (worse than anything this season). It's no time to panic.
Great summary.
I’d been racking my brain trying to find all the disastrous signings.
I still believe this is an issue of form rather than class.

We are also on track to score more and concede less than our last 3 title wins.

Be pretty harsh to criticise if we end up with better goals scored, less conceded and more points and still dont win the league.
Shows the difference in standard of the league.

Shows the difference in standard of the league.

I don't think it does.

I think it shows the gulf between celtic and the rest. I dont believe the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs are worse than they were 10 years ago. The financial gulf between Celtic and everybody else though is ridiculous. Celtics team is far better than it was when we were winning 3 in a row under Walter.

That isnt the answer either, i watched redford, paterson, stevens , john mcdonald etc etc
All prods and we were rank.
That was the only thing we could sing about then.
Be careful here.
Two Drumchapel lads named.:)
Seriously, two very high purchases there, maybe even record buys and a exceptionally highly rated kid as well.
Redford, in particular, had a decent career on leaving us.

For the money we’ve and still no to win a trophy and to be this far behind is a down right disgrace

Would it be different if we'd won the league cup?

I mean, we lost that game to an offside goal so I can't really be over critical about that performance.

He's having a better season than last year. Nearly everybody was happy when we signed him permanently, he's out of form.
I didnt get the urgency to sign him . He was good but not
Be careful here.
Two Drumchapel lads named.:)
Seriously, two very high purchases there, maybe even record buys and a exceptionally highly rated kid as well.
Redford, in particular, had a decent career on leaving us.
You know what i mean though.
Jim Bett was brilliant when he left us, i think Souness wanted to bring him back.
We were a basket case around 1983.

I’d rather see a team of players like docherty Murphy Mac Gregor and Halliday get beat and hurt because of it, than a team of players who play for the wage and don’t give a fxck

Utter bullshit.

We saw players like that (Greegs excepted) take tankings of Celtic and lose 4-0 at Tynecastle.

You want to go back to that? Gies piece.

You want us knocked out by the likes of Progres instead of playing Braga in the last 32?

Rarely does a post contain as much shite as you've posted there.

Great summary.
I’d been racking my brain trying to find all the disastrous signings.
I still believe this is an issue of form rather than class.

We have some decent players, but not enough. No signings have been a disaster but not many have influenced things in the here and now. Some of the younger guys you can see a few years before they're battle ready. We don't have a few years.

But we are where we are....I'd personally suggest no more Liverpool loan signings or players who have spent years club to club and are not really winners at any level.

I am hurt after a defeat, doesnt mean i can get a game for us.
The players mentioned bar mcgregor will not win a league never mind a cup.
Rangers minded or not, there is no one in the team and squad who have performed since the break.
The results tell you that.
If there is not a good in form run till May, then changes need to happen whether its a virtual clear out or the management goes.
Whats the point of investing all that money.

What a waste of money we have spent on players to many not good enough for our club and the wages there getting shocking half them don't even give a f?? K

Titles over

I think they do give a %^*&. It’s a lack of confidence if anything.

as another poster mentioned any other season we’d be doing well. Just happens they’re having a great season and no one else is able to take points off them

Would it be different if we'd won the league cup?

I mean, we lost that game to an offside goal so I can't really be over critical about that performance.
If we had won the cup a don’t think we’d have went on to bottle the league , we’ve spent over 20 million to finish second ffs

The ‘joke’ was that we paid it.

Personally I wouldn’t have gone above £4m for him. I said so at the time.

For a club in our position to shell out £7m on a player, we needed him to be a genuine matchwinner for us. We essentially needed him to be our star player, one who would make the difference in games like last night or against Aberdeen.

I never felt Kent was that player even last season.

For £7m we could have found a better player with better stats to slot straight in.

Which isn’t to say I don’t rate Kent, I do, and feel he just needs to have more confidence in himself, but the pricetag always threatened to weigh too heavily on his shoulders.

I really hope he can live up to it.
Hard to argue with that assessment.

If we had won the cup a don’t think we’d have went on to bottle the league , we’ve spent over 20 million to finish second ffs

Would it have stopped Alfie being suspended, Jack and Barisic getting injured, Tav getting an operation.

Unlikely

The thing that worries me is that our 3 best players are Warburton and Pedro era signings. Even if you throw in McGregor and Davis, they were here previously and hugely successful so it’s not really indicative of top notch scouting is it....:
Who do you have down as top 3? I'd have Morelos, Borna and then 3rd is a toss up between Shagger, Jack, Davis and Tav.

Back