The most unexpected place that you ran into another Bear or Rangers stuff?

Conlig Loyal

My sister lives and works in Tel Aviv. One morning while at her works office on Tel Aviv seafront, she swore that she could hear the sash being sung.

This couldn't possibly be right, so at her lunchtime she went down to see what the hell was going on.

Only to see hundreds of Rangers supporters milling around the bars on the seafront. The first sight being a big King Billy tattoo on the bare back of a not particularly svelte Rangers supporter.

It was, of course, the Hapoel Tel Aviv game in 2006 or 7(I think?). Not being a football fan she had no idea it was happening.

She went into her usual lunchtime restaurant/bar and some Scots guy was having trouble getting his food order through to the waitress (even though she said the waitress can speak English but obviously not Glaswegian) so she butted in and told the girl what the order was in fluent Hebrew and then told the Bear in her best Belfast accent, "Park yer arse down there and she'll bring it down to ye." She said the looks of amazement on the faces of the Gers fans at the table on hearing a wee Ulster woman talking to them after jabbering fluently in Hebrew, were almost as flummoxed as she was when she thought she heard the Sash being belted out on a sunny Tel Aviv midweek morning. She said she regretted having to be at work as she was sure could have drunk free all afternoon with those guys.

Any more stories of unexpected or far flung Rangers encounters?

Northumberland Park on the Metro line in Newcastle. An absolute mental case who went on about his girlfriend in Thailand and how he'd been barred from every pub in Whitley Bay for fighting people. I made a new rule there and then to never say WATP or engage anyone else in a Rangers top anywhere else outside Glasgow just in case they were also off their nut. I assume he's an admin on here to be fair.

Not massively unusual but when I was on honeymoon in New York in 1998, Nike town had just opened and it was full of Rangers gear.
I got my wife to take a pic of me holding the the home top and I heard this kid say “You a Bluenose big man?” After I said yes he said “So am I, I’m from Airdrie.” :D
He must have been around 10 or 12 years old and his mum was stunning :D

Beaulieu, was waiting for wife and kids before going into the motor museum and one of the guys that works inside overheard me on the phone. “And what is someone with that (southern English) accent doing with my team’s badge on a hoodie?” Very nice gentleman, and we had a good laugh at the tims’ expense.

HMS Vanguard in dry dock at Devonport. Did a benchmarking visit and took an interest at how they managed the parts coming off for maintenance/disposal. Was taken down to the mess and a UF with “Rangers” across it was on the wall. Turned out to be the officer of the day we were talking to. Trip went very well after that and became a lot less stuffy ;)

Last edited:
I doubt this person is a FF reader or contributor, but when he saw my towel hanging over my bedspace in the transit accomodation in Camp Bastion, he went "oh no, not another fucking one". Oddly, mine was the only Rangers item I saw that tour

I was in the Blue Room in New York watching a game, and got talking to a guy in a Gers top while outside having a fag.
He had a broad NY accent and when I asked him how he started supporting Rangers, he told me he got the bug from his mum who was Scottish.
Turns out, she lived 5 minutes walk from me in EK.
The guy posts on here.

Done the bridge on the river kwai tour when I was in Thailand on holiday many years ago, got talking to another Scottish guy doing the same tour, turned out he was a Rangers fan who loved in Liverpool.
Couple of years later Rangers were playing in Newcastle tournament pre season, I was standing in a pub in Newcastle City centre and the same guy walked in.
A quirky twist of fate
Or he was really good at following me.

Barman in the Marriott niagra falls, wiped our bar tab and had champagne sent to our room. He was from Hamilton.

Loch Ness bar Bratislava waiter set us down a bottle of vodka courtesy of the bar. His dad was from Inverness.

Lake Louise Banff area bumped into a man from Greenock. Met in a bar that evening in Banff and the DJ was from Edinburgh (big rangers man) what a night it was. Only just qualified from the Europa groups.

Not massively unusual but when I was on honeymoon in New York in 1998, Nike town had just opened and it was full of Rangers gear.
I got my wife to take a pic of me holding the the home top and I heard this kid say “You a Bluenose big man?” After I said yes he said “So am I, I’m from Airdrie.” :D
He must have been around 10 or 12 years old and his mum was stunning :D
She'd have only been about 25 aswell.

Working in st John’s NL
One of the Texas lads came in with a Rangers top on one Saturday and before I could say anything one of the Canadian girls belted out “that’s A Gers top”
Her boyfriend originally from here took her to Ibrox once and he was a friend of one of the Texas True Blue lads
Happy Hector

8-C8-C6390-BD4-A-4293-9-E13-37-B3-B85-D7-F76.jpg

Up the CN tower in Toronto the waitress who served lunch spotted my Rangers tshirt, her father was from Ayrshire originally and was from good Presbyterian stock.
Aye yes she was a wee honey :cool:

Drove from Edinburgh to Plymouth. Parked up in Plymouth, first lamp post I come to. " Plymouth True Blues Sticker". Magic.
I was driving back from st ives a couple
Of years ago and we stopped not far from there, to get petrol. I was wearing my rangers top and as I was walking inside I heard someone yell out WATP! Turned round and a group of people from Glasgow were walking in to the McDonald’s!

Maybe slightly different. Used to be a delivery driver. As anyone knows crossmaglen in south Armagh isn’t a place you see a rangers top (unless it’s GAA crossmaglen rangers)

one day I was doing a delivery down round there, absolutley pissing it down. Only coat I had lying in the van was an rangers raincoat I had. Said to myself f*ck I’ll only be 2 seconds so threw the coat on and took the stuff into the shop. The shop assistant was surprised to say the least and he told me I must have been the first person in his 50 years living in crossmaglen to wear a Glasgow rangers top in the village :))

In terms of most remote I must be in with a chance.....
Moskalvo port on the northern tip of Sakhalin where I met two lifting guys from Sparrows both having been of good stock, It did shock the company man and my translator when we after 2 mins of meeting when straight into latest updates from home, this was around 2010.

A Rangers scarf has been shown here in the capitol who thanks to an ex Baku Bear and poster on here have a RSC however this was a 14 hour train ride then 5 hour car journey north.

In terms of most remote I must be in with a chance.....
Moskalvo port on the northern tip of Sakhalin where I met two lifting guys from Sparrows both having been of good stock, It did shock the company man and my translator when we after 2 mins of meeting when straight into latest updates from home, this was around 2010.

A Rangers scarf has been shown here in the capitol who thanks to an ex Baku Bear and poster on here have a RSC however this was a 14 hour train ride then 5 hour car journey north.

I was in the rangers bar in baku when NI played over there. Downstairs is a great wee blue room

Shopping Centre in Galway, Republic of Ireland. Not too unusual in itself but, of course, I spoke to the gentleman, who was black, and he hadn’t a clue what I was saying as he spoke French and came from somewhere in Africa as best I could gather. Surreal.

My sister lives and works in Tel Aviv. One morning while at her works office on Tel Aviv seafront, she swore that she could hear the sash being sung.

This couldn't possibly be right, so at her lunchtime she went down to see what the hell was going on.

Only to see hundreds of Rangers supporters milling around the bars on the seafront. The first sight being a big King Billy tattoo on the bare back of a not particularly svelte Rangers supporter.

It was, of course, the Hapoel Tel Aviv game in 2006 or 7(I think?). Not being a football fan she had no idea it was happening.

She went into her usual lunchtime restaurant/bar and some Scots guy was having trouble getting his food order through to the waitress (even though she said the waitress can speak English but obviously not Glaswegian) so she butted in and told the girl what the order was in fluent Hebrew and then told the Bear in her best Belfast accent, "Park yer arse down there and she'll bring it down to ye." She said the looks of amazement on the faces of the Gers fans at the table on hearing a wee Ulster woman talking to them after jabbering fluently in Hebrew, were almost as flummoxed as she was when she thought she heard the Sash being belted out on a sunny Tel Aviv midweek morning. She said she regretted having to be at work as she was sure could have drunk free all afternoon with those guys.

Any more stories of unexpected or far flung Rangers encounters?
Did she see a fella with a Mohican haircut being interviewed by a tv crew? If so then that was one of our fellow posters ;)

The Cosmopolitan bar Lilongwe Malawi in 2011

Downing my lager and spot a huge black fella with the really nice plain blue top with Tennents logo on.

Had been gifted by a generous bear who'd been out in business.

Last edited:
We did a Yellowstone tour a few years back and one of the ladies working in one of the tour shop noticed my Rangers polo shirts and asked me if I had enjoyed the game at the weekend. I noticed her “faint” Scottish accent and she told me she moved over to the USA 30 years back but she still watched our games as much as she could.

Anybody see any locals wearing Rangers tops in Kazakhstan/Russia (Aksai/Orenburg) area, good chance I supplied them as over the years I must have donated approx 50 tops to one of the big orphanages there.

Was in Chiang Mai in 2017. Had my Rangers top on, it was the night of the Proges game under Pedro, I had two Rangers fans come up to me on separate occasions with a 'Mon the Rangers' in passing.

Not that unusual probably because of the location but I was on holiday in Durban, South Africa in the 90's wearing my Rangers top and a guy ran across the road to have a chat. He was also a Rangers fan on holiday.

Edit - it might actually have been Umhlanga Rocks which is just outside Durban

Back