The National anthems

Argentina’s anthem is a belter now they play the (almost) full version. Mexico’s is rousing. Quite liked Poland’s too.

Has to be Wales. Even in Rugby it is fantastic

But, this pish with trumpets and nonsence is absolutely shite.

Why doesn't a country just adapt to the Archers?
Has to be Wales. Even in Rugby it is fantastic

But, this pish with trumpets and nonsence is absolutely shite.

Why doesn't a country just adapt to the Archers?
German anthem always reminds me of escape to victory

No. Wales isn’t a Kingdom. It’s a principality.

He’s King of England, Ireland and Scotland
He isn't, those three countries are no longer kingdoms, Scotland and England ceased to exist in 1707 and Ireland in 1801.

He is the King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The proclaimers 'I'm gonna be' could be Scotlands new anthem. ;)

Change a few of the lyrics but especially change the da da da da to Get it up ye. :p

France, Wales, Italy are the winners for me, in that order. Inspirational all of them.

GSTK should be reserved for sports in which we compete as the UK / Great Britain, in my humble opinion. It’s not the most inspiring of anthems and I say that as a proud unionist and supporter of the monarchy. Billy Connolly wasn’t far off the truth in his gag above.

England should use Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem, I love those on Last Night of the Proms. And I’d rather Scotland adopted something other than FoS, it’s a bit of a dirge. No idea what but even Scotland the Brave was a bit livelier even if no one knew the words :)

With GSTK naturally accepted as the top kiddie, it’s USA, Wales (but only at the rugby), Italy and then France as a top 5.

Flower of Scotland is a mopeish dirge pissed all over by Scotland the Brave, Caledonia or Highland Cathedral.

They chose not to have it played many years ago as did Scotland.
as long as I can remember going back to the 70’s.wales have always played land of my fathers before internationals it was only in the run up to the 82 World Cup,Scotland decide to have their own anthem (Scotland the brave was actually the first anthem)rugby had flower of Scotland as the anthem long before the football team had it.

To be honest, England should get their own sporting anthem and GSTK should be reserved for royal and pan-UK events. Most of the Scandinavian countries have separate royal and national anthems so it can be done.

Back