The National, Arab Emirates: The long read: Rangers, a club who lost their way but never the support of their loyal fans

indianabluenose

Good article worth a read. Nice for the Rangers to have a fair shake in the press.

There’s no finer structure in British football than Rangers’ Bill Struth main stand at Ibrox, its welsh red brick facade dominating Edmiston Drive in the working-class southwest of Glasgow. Archibald Leitch’s construction seats 21,000 over three tiers and for the man who designed grandstands at Everton, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Manchester United and Fulham, Ibrox’s main stand represented the pinnacle of his career, the biggest and the most expensive stand ever built.

When it was opened in 1929 (it was expanded with a balcony and Art Deco stairwells in 1991), Glasgow boasted three of the world’s three largest football grounds: Ibrox, Celtic Park and Hampden. The biggest ever crowd for a British league match remains the 118,567 who watched Rangers against Celtic in 1939.

Leitch was involved in Ibrox’s construction in 1899; Struth was the manager from 1920-54, a disciplinarian who insisted on his players wearing bowler hats when they travelled to games. Struth’s methods worked wonders as Rangers won 15 out of their then 21 league titles under him.

The stand has stood the test of time and under a leaden Glasgow sky, Rangers are preparing for a big match against Legia Warsaw of Poland. It’s their eighth European game in seven weeks and a sell out crowd is expected.

The area opposite the stand has changed. Celtic legend Kenny Dalglish grew up in the adjacent tower blocks, a Protestant Rangers fan who waited and waited for his childhood heroes to sign him. They never did. But Jock Stein, who was happy to sign players of either religion at a time when Rangers restricted themselves to Protestants, took him to Celtic.

Thought for a moment this article came from our own ‘The National’ and accordingly full of spite, bias and untruths

Obviously the Emirati ‘The National’ is of far more integrity and reason than that backward nationalistic rag. The writer Andy Mitten has shown no great love for Rangers in the past although that’s not down to any Glasgow bias given he’s a Man Utd fan.

Liked this line

“Watching a big game at Ibrox is a fantastic assault on the senses”

Last edited:
Good article worth a read. Nice for the Rangers to have a fair shake in the press.

The Main Stand actually holds a combined 26000 over the 3 stands.

Enclosure 9000
Main Stand 10000
Club Deck 7000.

Think it's more like 20,500 - 21,500 for the Main Stand mate.

Certainly not 9k in the Enclosure, for example.

Was thinking that, might be wrong but if you look at the club deck that looks like a larger section than the enclosure in terms of seats.

Interesting read. Valid and fair and I guess the fairness part is all we ask for. Where is this national from?
As for the Pope image I actually thought it was quite funny and a good wee bit of banter

Think it's more like 20,500 - 21,000 for the Main Stand mate.

Certainly not 9k in the Enclosure.
I think the figures for the main stand and enclosure are pre redevelopment figures.

I will hold my hands up and confirm that my figure for the Enclosure is for standing, not seats, my apologies.

By the way the article in The National is a both a decent and positive read - at last an article, from an unexpected source, that praises the support for its unstinting loyalty.

Growing up it is fair to say our support had to put up with the "glory hunter" and "fair weather" gibes. However since our 2012 troubles, with all we have had to put up with at board level and not a senior domestic trophy to boot, the fact that we have week in week out sold out Ibrox as well as our away ticket allocations can once and for all see these gibes put to bed, our loyalty and passion for our club is unquestionable.

Last edited:
That's an excellent read.

Surely must have been written by someone south of the border :)

Very enjoyable - thanks OP.

I can't remember any article about us from the Scottish press that didn't contain at least a barb so it's refreshing to know that objectivity is alive and well in the real world.

Good article. No reference to 'new club', 'face painters', 'hospitals', 'poor wee kids' etc etc.

I must admit, I was amazed when I read the thread title. I thought it was that unbiased, even-handed Scottish 'newspaper' The National.

Silly me!

Thought for a moment this article came from our own ‘The National’ and accordingly full of spite, bias and untruths

Obviously the Emirati ‘The National’ is of far more integrity and reason than that backward nationalistic rag. The writer Andy Mitten has shown no great love for Rangers in the past although that’s not down to any Glasgow bias given he’s a Man Utd fan.

Liked this line

“Watching a big game at Ibrox is a fantastic assault on the senses”

Must admit when I read the heading I thought it was from the Natsi Rag.

Good article, which is what I'd expect from a writer who is a proper football fan himself.

Contrast that with the hateful garbage seen in the last 2 days from Roddy Forsyth and Graham Smears.

Latest posts

Back