The new goal kick rule

Forgive me if I’m wrong OP but are you over 35/40 as I don’t know many people younger who moan so heavily about it not being punted and lumped in the box

Forgive me if I’m wrong OP but are you over 35/40 as I don’t know many people younger who moan so heavily about it not being punted and lumped in the box

No I'm not, and I'm not "moaning heavily"

A lot of teams are just putting themselves under unnecessary pressure.

No I'm not, and I'm not "moaning heavily"

A lot of teams are just putting themselves under unnecessary pressure.
It's not unecessary pressure though. If a team scores x amount of goals by playing it out from the back, opening up the space in midfield as opponents push on to the centre halfs, then being willing to accept that occasionally this will also mean conceding a goal makes it worthwhile.

I’m just after having this conversation with my kids u13 coach.
Why does it have to be your defenders receiving a pass in the box? Get your players who are most comfortable bringing the ball out and let them play. Work on a different shape for goal kicks. Surely keeping possession is a lot better than punting it up the pitch for a 50/50 or chances even less stacked in your favour if you have the likes of a Defoe against a big defender.

I’m just after having this conversation with my kids u13 coach.
Why does it have to be your defenders receiving a pass in the box? Get your players who are most comfortable bringing the ball out and let them play. Work on a different shape for goal kicks. Surely keeping possession is a lot better than punting it up the pitch for a 50/50 or chances even less stacked in your favour if you have the likes of a Defoe against a big defender.

Yeah that would be better, using us for an example, Goldson is hopeless with the ball at his feet so it's dangerous.

Giving it to Davis on the other hand not so dangerous.

Yeah that would be better, using us for an example, Goldson is hopeless with the ball at his feet so it's dangerous.

Giving it to Davis on the other hand not so dangerous.

So get Davis and goldson to swap positions for goal kicks. Allow Davis to orchestrate the play from there. If goldson receives the ball a bit further forward and messes it up there’s less chance it will lead to a direct chance for the opposition. Also if Davis is alongside katic it would allow katic to be a bit calmer knowing Davis is comfortable receiving position under pressure and is a good out ball.

Boab, the reason why us Jocks are so pish is this very mentality of “get it up the park” and “get wired in”.

These elite teams are trying to draw opponents in so they can overload further up the park.

Granted, sometimes it doesn’t work but the key is to know that there is a time and a place.

If it is not utilised properly then what happened with arsenal and man city will continue.

And goals is what the same is about whether it's wonderfully crafted or pure diabolical.

That goal Arsenal gave away today was comical and absolute lunacy that they tried it.
Build from the back aye, but there’s a time and a place.

It’s a good rule but goals like today are the risk teams take.
Sides like Arsenal, with their defence, will lose out with this rule. They are encouraged by Emre to build from the back but their centre backs are panicky and will make a cuunt of it, more than once.

Back