The new substitute rule

Likewise enjoyed how it helped the flow of the game.

How do they make sure the player doesn’t return to the park at any point. 4th official keeps an eye on it?

The lad on the TV yesterday pointed out that this might be a problem in a hostile game as the player may have to walk around 2-3 sections of hostile fans

The lad on the TV yesterday pointed out that this might be a problem in a hostile game as the player may have to walk around 2-3 sections of hostile fans
Fair point but in which case, I’d suggest they probably come of as ‘normal’

If the manager and player are stupid enough to create the problem then they deserve all the abuse they would get.

It's mental it's took until 2019 for some obvious rules to be implemented.

Helps stopping teams put a guy at the furthest away point on the park and subbing him off.

It’s at the refs discretion as I understand. Away players will be unlikely to walk around the park somewhere like Easter rd.

Like the Hibs fans who attacked our club captain? I see their point in theory but the opposition players could leave the pitch via the Copeland front at Ibrox and there wouldn't be any trouble.

Didnt really notice it on the TV, but noticed a killie player went off elsewhere.

Was at the game and noticed Greg Stewart pushing one of their players towards the other end of the pitch as he tried to walk across the field during the sub they made right before our winning goal.

Thought he was going to pick up a booking until I realised he was in the right due to the new ruling.

Last edited:
Meant to add

Was at Sunderland v Oxford last weekend and one of the Oxford players was been subbed and started to walk across the pitch the game was on the far side at this point, got a bit heated and after been told to go at his nearest point he then had a go at the assistant referee and got booked as he started to walk round the pitch

Is there also a new rule introduced that a 4th sub can be used if a player is injured?

Player who gets subbed can leave at any side of the pitch instead of walking to the middle.
They have to leave at the shortest point rather than “can leave”
Could be tricky if you have to walk past Aberdeen away or Celtc away fans

Is there also a new rule about goal kicks not having to leave the 18 yard area before a player touches it now?
Noticed this a couple of times.

Theres a few new rules in place to try and stop time wasting

Refs can allow a free kick to be taken quickly then go back and book the offender at the next break in play. Designed to stop the professional fould to stop a break away and get everybody back in their defensive shape.

This and the sub rule will help us a.lot this season IMO.

Refs can allow a free kick to be taken quickly then go back and book the offender at the next break in play. Designed to stop the professional fould to stop a break away and get everybody back in their defensive shape.

Hmmm, we have to rely of the refs to implement it properly and fairly

So now they're gonna walk to the middle of the pitch only for the ref to tell them to go off the other side. Seems like an easy opportunity to waste more time in my opinion.

If only the SPFL could find a couple of grand now to make sure we have enough footballs to adopt multi ball in the Scottish game, would keep things flowing even better. Fucking embarrassing backwater...

For people saying it’s not safe , nothing would happen to any of them at our ground , we are bigger than that , however if anything was to happen elsewhere would show the animals up at other teams for what they are and live on tv for the world to see

Saw it in our game at the weekend, what about the scenario where I player goes off and then while walking round the pitch "interferes" in an offside decision?
He's still in his match shirt so could possibly be in the assistant referees eye line. If this not why subs have to wear a vest while warming up?

Hmmm, we have to rely of the refs to implement it properly and fairly

This happened on Sunday when Tavernier was striding forward in the lead up to the corner which lead to the goal,the 2 Killie players who tried to scythe him in half then push him were booked when the ball went out of play for the corner,so well done to Collum on that decision.

This happened on Sunday when Tavernier was striding forward in the lead up to the corner which lead to the goal,the 2 Killie players who tried to scythe him in half then push him were booked when the ball went out of play for the corner,so well done to Collum on that decision.

Not the same situation as a free kick wasnt awarded.

The new rule allows the free kick to be taken quickly and then go back and book the offender when the attack breaks down.

Not the same situation as a free kick wasnt awarded.

The new rule allows the free kick to be taken quickly and then go back and book the offender when the attack breaks down.

Free kick wasn't awarded i know that but how many times have you seen Refs stop play while we're attacking to break up our momentum,Collum never done that on Sunday as Tavernier had the momentum going for him,if he had went down on any of the challenges i doubt we would've scored but Collum gave him the advantage to carry on then booked them when the ball went out of play,there's not many Refs would've done that is the point i'm putting across

I thought Collum had a terrific game on Sunday.

Back