The null and void myth

Chocolateleftfoot

I see again that a national newspaper is today saying that the season won't be null and void because TV companies, fans and sponsors will demand money back if the season is written off as if it never happened.
First of all, it has happened. Well most of it anyway. TV companies pay money to leagues all over the world to show football matches. And when it's all said and done, they will cough up for the matches that they've already shown on TV. They won't pay for the ones that never take place. That will be the case no matter what decisions are taken regarding leagues. Another point is that Sky, in particular, built their whole empire on televised football. There's no chance that they will burn bridges with leagues around Europe trying to reclaim money for games they have shown, it just won't happen. They will work with the leagues to come up with a solution. It will cost sky money. It will cost leagues money. But there will be a compromise. The same applies to the sponsors. What good would it do for one of these gambling companies to put a club out of business by reclaiming money for sponsorship? The reason they're in football is to appeal to supporters.
The season ticket thing is bollox as well. People will be entitled to a refund for the games that don't happen regardless of whether the league is null and void or standings declared final. You're not going to get money back for a game you were at, and to say that you could is ludicrous. And if the season somehow gets played to a finish behind closed doors, you're entitled to a refund anyway.
Fed up reading this pish on a daily basis. The season will never be like it never happened, it has happened.
Season 2019/20 unable to be completed due to global crisis. Positions declared final. No winners, no relegation. I don't see the problem.

To be quite frank, I'm now at a point where anyone still going on about this I think is just a total cùnt.

Sport of any form should be so far away from anyone's priorities at the moment.

Not meaning you in any way OP.
Am the same. I haven't bought a paper in years but everyday when coming on here you see theres people in the paper still going on about it. Unbelievable.

To be quite frank, I'm now at a point where anyone still going on about this I think is just a total cùnt.

It's the drip, drip, drip bullshit that I can't stand. Reading every day that the only solution can't happen because of these supposed terrible repurcusions, it's nonsense.

The season will not be finished. To try and finish this season later in the year would simply compromise all of next seasons sponsor and tv money and would have a much greater financial impact than ending this season as it is.

The decision now is whether to settle it on current standings or null and void it.

As you say, for both options the broadcaster will not get to screen any remaining games so any potential for a refund on these games would be applicable to both. The have already made money off of the games they have screened so far so there is no way they can ask for a refund on those games.

The exact same logic applies to fans asking for a refund on remaining games.

There is absolutely no additional financial impact by null and avoiding the season than there would be if it was settled, but Scottish football is now going through a softening up process with scare tactics so they will all think that they will be much worse off financially if the season is null and void.

The mentally challengeds are going to get gifted this title without winning it and the rest of Scottish football will just go along with it through fear.

Baffles me why any sensible reporter would buy the line that is being peddled without raising the obvious questions covered in your post. Money (whether TV, sponsor or ST) not refundable for games that have, in fact, taken place, money for outstanding games refundable whether games played behind closed doors or not played at all, and TV Companies/Sponsors willingness to negotiate as their business model has football right at the heart of it.
Anyone peddling the line that the season cannot be voided due to sponsors etc claiming money back without raising such questions is clearly a rattler wanting an early decision before they lose out on their tainted ninth

Never understood that argument either if Sky have a contract to show a certain number of games giving Celtic the title won’t change that one bit, either way they still won’t be able to show the games.

Same with season tickets people paid for X amount of games and won’t get them either way.

Somehow I can’t see a Ross County fan not demanding ST money back because Celtic would be handed a title they never won.

The only ones who would demand money back for them not being given the title are probably the yahoo fans themselves and that might be what the mHedia is really worrying about.

Yep I know what you mean.
Right now I couldn’t give a toss and will not lose any sleep over it.
Im more concerned about now and keeping people safe to get out of this shit we are in.

The whole thing is tedious....I don’t read English papers but I’m quite sure this argument Is NOT taking place re: Liverpool etc.

In this time on doom - one of the few things that brings a smile to my mouth, is the thought of them not getting to nine in a row.
Nez6xzf.gif

some brilliant points OP, why are we not seeing these put across by our ex players and those with columns. They are clearly getting momentum behind the nonsense that null in void is not an option.

Only have one issue with the OP.
When he suggests that the league may be finished behind closed doors, then the fans would be entitled to a refund in this case.
IMO any refunds should be made by those who make this decision, to deliberately deprive clubs of gate money. There is no way clubs should be liable for the costs of any refund.

Only have one issue with the OP.
When he suggests that the league may be finished behind closed doors, then the fans would be entitled to a refund in this case.
IMO any refunds should be made by those who make this decision, to deliberately deprive clubs of gate money. There is no way clubs should be liable for the costs of any refund.
I agree actually, but my main point was that fans would be entitled to a refund. I wonder how much it would cost Rangers to put on a game in an empty stadium?

I don't get this view at all. In fact it's utter horseshit.

We are all gravely concerned about this health crisis, that goes without saying.

To suggest all other discussion should cease is just ridiculous.
We are football fans, we discuss football and as Rangers fans we want what's best for Rangers.

If I'm lying on my deathbed with this god awful disease, I'd want my son to tell me the latest.*
Let me know if the beasts get their evil way etc..

*I know he'd be forbidden, but you get my drift

Last edited:
I don't get this view at all. In fact it's utter horseshit.

We are all gravely concerned about this health crisis, that goes without saying.

To suggest all other discussion should cease is just ridiculous.
We are football fans, we discuss football and as Rangers fans we want what's best for Rangers.

If I'm lying on my deathbed with this god awful disease, I'd want my son to tell me the latest.*
Let me know if the beasts get their evil way etc..

*I know he'd be forbidden, but you get my drift

I'm talking about any discussion other than the league being null and void.

We have had this story driven for weeks with every Celtic mouthpiece imaginable.

This season is over, done, null and void.

Anything else, to quote you, is utter horseshìt.

I'm talking about any discussion other than the league being null and void.

We have had this story driven for weeks with every Celtic mouthpiece imaginable.

This season is over, done, null and void.

Anything else, to quote you, is utter horseshìt.
"Sport in any form" was your post, Sir.

It goes without saying it should be down in the list of priorities, but discussion must and will go on.
The beasts will bang on about it, we'll retaliate.

I see again that a national newspaper is today saying that the season won't be null and void because TV companies, fans and sponsors will demand money back if the season is written off as if it never happened.
First of all, it has happened. Well most of it anyway. TV companies pay money to leagues all over the world to show football matches. And when it's all said and done, they will cough up for the matches that they've already shown on TV. They won't pay for the ones that never take place. That will be the case no matter what decisions are taken regarding leagues. Another point is that Sky, in particular, built their whole empire on televised football. There's no chance that they will burn bridges with leagues around Europe trying to reclaim money for games they have shown, it just won't happen. They will work with the leagues to come up with a solution. It will cost sky money. It will cost leagues money. But there will be a compromise. The same applies to the sponsors. What good would it do for one of these gambling companies to put a club out of business by reclaiming money for sponsorship? The reason they're in football is to appeal to supporters.
The season ticket thing is bollox as well. People will be entitled to a refund for the games that don't happen regardless of whether the league is null and void or standings declared final. You're not going to get money back for a game you were at, and to say that you could is ludicrous. And if the season somehow gets played to a finish behind closed doors, you're entitled to a refund anyway.
Fed up reading this pish on a daily basis. The season will never be like it never happened, it has happened.
Season 2019/20 unable to be completed due to global crisis. Positions declared final. No winners, no relegation. I don't see the problem.
Absolutely spot on with that mate.

Cuntiness of the highest order couldn't agree more they should all be ashamed but no chance of that .

Totally agree, its beyond pathetic now, as much as Hugh Burns and Charlie Nicholas made valid points it just shouldn't be asked about, at least wait till this crisis is over then see where we stand.

I'd be amazed if there was any competitive football before September.

"Sport in any form" was your post, Sir.

It goes without saying it should be down in the list of priorities, but discussion must and will go on.
The beasts will bang on about it, we'll retaliate.

Yes, that was what I wrote.

In the second line after the first line, you know, a separate point.

First point being specific to this constant chatter from them about it and second point being a more general viewpoint I hold.

Anyway, they can whistle if they think we are ever accepting it.

The league wont be completed and other than a stitch up its null and void.

poet propaganda strikes again.
Everyday a different poet and it ain’t stop until they get what they want, they tell us everyday that no one wants it and they should be given the league, even Maxwell is joining in and he is meant to be neutral and let the media know the thoughts of all the teams after meetings not befire

The competition is 38 games long. There are no rules for non completion are there? In the event that 38 games can’t be completed the tournament is incomplete. The rules are the rules. No winners no losers, we start 20/21 as 19/20 and go again.

Swiss Ramble on twitter is saying that clubs have supposedly been told that they'd lose money for breach of contract. Guts of 50 mil for the top clubs in the league.

Are they really going to try "breach of contract" when there's a global pandemic and the country is in lockdown?

It'll only increase my distaste for how the game has gone in England.

What do they expect teams to do, if the season can't be finished then it's null and void.

The fact that we have just found out Ross McCrorie has been diagnosed with Covid, it's disgraceful that they are putting money ahead of players health.

I remember thinking this between the Europa league game and old firm, particularly re the Clyde phone in. Thought it was extremely insensitive.

We all know the season won't finish.

So, the choices are:

1. Cancel the season and award league positions, trophies etc. and divi up what ever prize money there is on that basis.
OR
2. Void the season and divide the prize money equally between competing teams.

There is absolutely no difference between 1 and 2 in terms of sponsorship, TV money and corporate income (same amount of matches have been played in both scenarios). Only one of those preserves sporting integrity though and I'll bet No. 2 would also appeal to the majority of clubs as they would get the much needed benefit of a better share of the prize money than they would otherwise have.

If everyone accepts that the remaining games won't be played then there is only one way to go. This 'null and void' being presented as a financial disaster compared to giving teams titles without playing the games is an absolute nonsense - there is no difference that I can see. A myth is being created for the benefit of one club, that's the truth of it.

I'll be honest, we as a people 1st and football fans 2nd should be ignoring this nonsence that is being written in the media and discussed.

Its disrespectful to a great deal of people who couldn't give a flying feck, who wins what, gets relegated and how much footballs going to lose.

Rangers have said there piece and that should be the end of it for the forseable future. Some on here posting about not ever going back are allowing themselves to get dragged into this.

I know people like to go on about dignified silence letting us down, well right now that is the best way. Let them and their paid chimps keep banging on about titles and leave the rest of us to concentrate on important matters like staying in good health.

Season abandoned on x date due to an unforeseen global health emergency. Is that not the obvious solution?

Alternatively, we are going to compromise the whole of next season to avoid a breach of contract claim/situation when it’s obvious there will be a deal to be done with broadcasters and sponsors etc?

Are they really going to try "breach of contract" when there's a global pandemic and the country is in lockdown?

It'll only increase my distaste for how the game has gone in England.

A company are trying this with us just now as we shut up shop prior to lockdown.

Its days like this arseholes will be arseholes.

Right now league titles are totally irrelevant.
And thats what we would be hearing is we had a lead right now.

Agree , Totally uneasy about discussing this , at this time .

The whole thing is tedious....I don’t read English papers but I’m quite sure this argument Is NOT taking place re: Liverpool etc.
I don’t see or hear this argument down south, certainly not to the same levels - you might have very partisan local media making a noise in Liverpool, Leeds or Coventry... cities with teams that are in with a great shout of title wins that they haven’t seen in a very long time. Overall there isn’t even a discussion about it though.

Celtic are making an utter fool of themselves, and their media placemen are making a fool of themselves. At a time like this, sport is largely irrelevant.

Back