The old Rangers end at the Piggery

Remember a game that we got beat 3-0 I think a couple sent off inc Souness but what i do remember is the police trying to remove a massive Union Flag from the Rangers end and the bears standing firm and throwing out any polis that came in.
Some wee mentally challenged looking bastard with scrmabled egg on his hat was directing police from trackside. He told one young cop to get in amongst it and looked like the cop told him to basically %^*& off or after you. Was quite funny.
mentally challengeds sent ball boys out with buckets to pick up the coins that were getting lobbed
Was it not a whole lot of Ulster flags stiched together that the police tried to take? If so I was there standing beside Bomber Brown who done a quick sharp harp in his demin jacket to avoid to press. This was my favourite moment at the piggery!

202004032114551585945310.gif

So many great memories and disappointments but they day they chopped 10,000 from our allocation it was never the same again.

That's fantastic. Wish we could see more like this. I love looking at old photos and videos of our fans.

Definitely had a part of the jungle in 1974. I stood in it in January that year when we lost 1 - 0. Doug Houston was in our team.
My first old firm games at the piggery were in the jungle and I remember looking across in awe at our support in the Rangers end longing for the day I would join them. Think my last games in there were 75/76 - two draws. Can't remember if we got any of the jungle after that but pretty sure we still had a section of the main stand.
My recollection is that at that time (early to mid seventies) we got up to the staircase closest to the 18 yard line in both the jungle and the main stand and they got similar at Ibrox. We may have got more prior to that.
Particularly fond memory - Alex Millers winning goal and the celebration following that first win at their dump for some time. First time I'd seen us win there. There was a point that day when my feet were clean off the ground for what seemed like an eternity as the crowd swayed as one. It was probably only a few seconds but seemed like ages - happy days.

it might have been 27k including the enclosure imo---- I think then it was it was 23k then there was no enclosure and a bit of our end was shut at the stand side and they shaved a couple of thousands and it ended 18.5 k

Not sure if this is right but I seem to remember there were 88,000 tickets for the piggery back in the late 60s early 70s.

Not sure when we stopped giving them tickets for our Main Stand but I can recall scuffles on the concourse in the 80s.

I remember grabbing a mentally challenged's scarf in the toilets under the Centenary Stand before it was seated. Probably early 70s.

In the seventies you entered
My first old firm games at the piggery were in the jungle and I remember looking across in awe at our support in the Rangers end longing for the day I would join them. Think my last games in there were 75/76 - two draws. Can't remember if we got any of the jungle after that but pretty sure we still had a section of the main stand.
My recollection is that at that time (early to mid seventies) we got up to the staircase closest to the 18 yard line in both the jungle and the main stand and they got similar at Ibrox. We may have got more prior to that.
Particularly fond memory - Alex Millers winning goal and the celebration following that first win at their dump for some time. First time I'd seen us win there. There was a point that day when my feet were clean off the ground for what seemed like an eternity as the crowd swayed as one. It was probably only a few seconds but seemed like ages - happy days.
In the early seventies you entered the Rangers end and walked into the jungle up to the edge of the penalty area.
Always remember lots of fights in the toilets under the jungle.

Not just the piggery
Fir park
Love st
Easter rd
Tyncastle
Dens
Tannadice
Brockville
Hampden
And many more.
I feel I’ve been spoilt having been to these grounds as a youth supporting the famous.
Especially in the late 80’s and 90’s.
Tbh the grounds now are soulless.

In the seventies you entered

In the early seventies you entered the Rangers end and walked into the jungle up to the edge of the penalty area.
Always remember lots of fights in the toilets under the jungle.
Said similar in another thread. There was little in the way of segregation but little in the way of trouble between opposing fans on the terracing itself. I was, however, advised to steer clear of the toilets as that was the area that trouble was most likely - seemed like wise advice at the time.

First and only time anyone pished down the back of my leg and it didn’t bother me, brought a smile to my face typing that as I’m half pished and would have been at the time
No Surrender

Horrendous crush on the way in - they only opened 2 gates and we were queuing from 2:15 pm.
Was at that game V St Johnstone was a crush with fans spilling out onto the track remember thinking it was bad at the time, then got home after the match to hear about Hillsborough

You had to go to the toilets with a snorkel on and waders if you fancied having a pish back in those days.
Piggery then, piggery now, always known as a PIGGERY.

The whole rangers support pointing at them whilst we sang, We absolutely bossed the atmosphere in those games. My memory is we seemed more elevated in the ground and looked down on them. Their jungle was to the right as we looked on the pitch if I remember. some on here have got much clearer memory than me ! Loved those games.

Remember a midweek game there in the mid 80’s, it was the time when all the young team wore those half and half hats. There was a big bunch of them down nearest the jungle and there were a couple of cops patrolling the no mans land between the Rangers end and the jungle. There was a bit of missile throwing between each other, Next minute a big cider bottle was launched towards the jungle I watched it in slow motion smash right of a polis’s mans head and drop him like a ton of bricks. The polis sprang into action and started invading the area from where the bottle came from trying to lift anyone that was in the area, it was f@cking bedlam.

Said in a previous thread about this, the experience of the springfield vaults pre-game. I also remember one game the polis waded in, only to be waded back out to a rousing chorus of we'll keep the blue flag flying high.

As i said in previous thread, I feel for the young un's who never had nor ever will experience that atmosphere, level of unity, level of hatred, level of real togetherness.

Too many these day's are too politically correct. Surrounded by green and white and tri-colours and rebel songs, only to sing our songs with fervour. To just see thae kunt's as you went in to the ground aroused your Ranger's, British, Protestant passion.

It's all fkd now thanks to the easily fragile like eggshell do gooder offended mob.

Not just the piggery
Fir park
Love st
Easter rd
Tyncastle
Dens
Tannadice
Brockville
Hampden
And many more.
I feel I’ve been spoilt having been to these grounds as a youth supporting the famous.
We just turned up in our thousands, paid at the gate and took the place over in most cases.
Tynecastle, Easter Road, Tannadice, Dens, Fir Park - it didn’t matter if the home support had a particular bit where they stood, if we wanted it we took it and they were left in a wee corner in the pissing rain.
We even took the Holte End at Aston Villa ffs.

Likewise said in a previous thread that there was a greater unity, a greater sense of togetherness among the support back then.
We stood together especially in times of adversity - very few, certainly among the ones I travelled with, would ever contemplate leaving early because the team were getting beat. In a show of strength and defiance you stayed to the bitter end - we'll support you ever more "fck the score!".
And we took no sh1t off anyone.
Nowadays people are terrified of offending anyone and would rather turn on their team and argue among their own rather than stand together.
Perhaps, like most older guys, my memory is playing tricks on me and things weren't quite as good as I recall but I love the fact that my kids (who ain't exactly kids now) would, like their old da, never think of bailing out 'cause the team were getting beat.

Was in it loads of times. The double deck turnstiles to get in, at least half the Bears jumped over. Getiing out after the game was a death trap, I'm surprised there was never an accident. It was just stairs, no barriers at all. Everyone piled down and it wasn't the first time my feet were lifted off the ground and I was carried along for a few steps. The pie stalls going up in smoke. When we scored it was great, when we won it was better.
I was first there in the mid 70s and we got about 1/3 of the Jungle and the main stand. Any time I was there our part of the Jungle was pretty sparse, only guys at the crush barriers.
It didn't beat Ibrox under the shed though.

Where I learned to stand with your back to the crush barrier and not facing it.
Me & McRod done this when Mark hately scored 2 in a 2 nil win ( early 90s )

I had got tickets for 2 London guys & remember watching the drowning terror in their eyes as they were swept away !

Ps one of them , an arsenal fan had watched arsenal host septic previously & was in hysterics as we ha ha ‘d our way through “ grand old team “

It never got pulled down after the 1993 Scottish Cup Final, they were putting seats in it for 1993/94 season

But they couldn't handle the fact that our game would have been the last as a terracing so organise a 'Gala Day' the day after the final which involved a game between ex players of Celtic and Manchester United
“ Blow away the blues day” they called it :D

I’m sure that was a Wednesday night game after Ian Redford had a goal disallowed, McGarvey scored the winner for them, reply to SSR

Last edited:
Reactions: SSR
Used to have the whole Rangers end and then part of the jungle and half main stand. Think the last time we had the jungle was Glasgow cup final in Aug 76.
I generally enjoyed the Rangers end at Parkhead because of the Bears. But I remember a game in 88 we went 1 up with a penalty. When the decison and goal was scored I couldnt move because we were so crushed. Guys fainting etc. Ironically later that season was Hillsborough.
Correct we won the Glasgow Cup midweek and had a section in the jungle.
Played them again in the league on the Saturday drawing 2-2.
Being young at the time I was in the ground early and as a few days earlier we were in the jungle.
Missiles were being thrown well before kickoff and the police moved Rangers fans out.
From then onwards there was a no mans land between the jungle and Rangers end.

We were in their end that day and singing it
Back then Celtic had a ticket office in West Nile St or that area and there was photos in the press of guys with Rangers scarfs queuing for tickets.

Looking from the Rangers end that day you could see a huge block of non-green at the stand side.

Not just the piggery
Fir park
Love st
Easter rd
Tyncastle
Dens
Tannadice
Brockville
Hampden
And many more.
the old beach end at pittodrie was some day out,never seen so many drunk guys in the one place as most of the busses would leave early in the morning loaded up with carry outs then hit the pubs for opening time!

I think the game you are talking about was a 3-1 defeat in the league September 1972, John Greig scored.
74 game was the game McDougal and Jackson scored for us.
Nearly 50 years ago Joe Mason a name from the past, well remembered.
Sep 72 game was at Hampden.

Not just the piggery
Fir park
Love st
Easter rd
Tyncastle
Dens
Tannadice
Brockville
Hampden
And many more.
...and usually half empty.

The wall collapsing game was a 1-1 draw in 85 iirc and the game on the same day as Hillsborough was a Scottish cup semi-final v St Johnstone. I remember the attendance being given as 47,000 and wondering where the other 14,000 would go. Didn't even have any gaps in the stairways that day. Could be wrong but sure some fans spilled onto the trackside at the "Celtic end" due to the crushing taking place.
I remember this game too where the wall collapsed at the turnstiles and a load of Rangers fans were knocked over with it too.For a minute I thought it could escalate due to the size of the crowds that day.Thankfully there were no serious injuries.It always sticks in my mind that this was the same day as the Hillsborough disaster.

I remember during around Souness's time about a thousand Bears got tickets for the Celtic end, me and my mate walked into the Rangers end and all we heard was the Sash from the Celtic end
The police moved in at kick off and removed a lot of the Bears

Leaving the old Rangers end after the disastrous 1979 4-2 loss, my wee pal and I got ambushed by a group of them. I vividly remember laying on the ground looking up as the boots were flying and one of the fuckers was dressed as a priest... don’t know if he was a real fiddler or not.

Back