The old Rangers end at the Piggery

Sorry mate dont remember that ever happening.

I think it did happen once mate, not long after Souness joined.

I've heard a few of the older lads in our supporters club talking about a couple of thousand Rangers supporters buying up tickets for the Celtic end at the piggery.

They were all together at the London Rd side of the Celtic end.

Think we lost the game 3-1.

Leaving the ground after winning and having to go under that railway bridge they were throwing everything down at us. No police to be seen

Was at the piggery early nineties, Sure we won 2-0 with Hateley getting both I’m sure, Came off my bike the night before and skinned one side of my face, Wish I had a pound for every time a bear asked me if I’d been set about before the game.

The only ground where Bears were in the celtic end was Old Hampden in the 71 and 73 SCF. This never happened at the piggery or Ibrox.
youre wrong mate
we had plenty in their end at the game i mention, not sure of the date
we were congregated towards the main stand side, a big mass of fans with no colours which is unusual at a rangers celtic game in those times, eventually the police formed a barrier.

You had to wipe your feet on the way out, all that shitty red ash that they had. If it was raining your trousers were covered in crap if you did not have the sense to tuck them into your white posrts socks that were 3 pairs for a pound. Those stupid turnstiles that you went up stairs and all the protection you had was a brick wall that did not look the safest. Petty wee thing nowadays but in the early eighties when soldiers and civilians were getting blown to bits in NI it used to wind me up no end seeing that tricolour flying above their stand above their terrorist funding support.

CzOiojD.jpg

youre wrong mate
we had plenty in their end at the game i mention, not sure of the date
we were congregated towards the main stand side, a big mass of fans with no colours which is unusual at a rangers celtic game in those times, eventually the police formed a barrier.
Must be going senile then as a few folk have confirmed it. Either that or I was oot ma nut at the time.

When the piggery was the piggery.
As the bears made our way out at the back of the terracing it was rammed till we waited to reach the staircase to get out.
Being young fit and stupid I decided to bail over the wall on to the slope to get me down to the exits.
As soon as my feet hit the ground on the other side I and all the other bams who scaled the wall started getting stung by Wasps.
One right in the neck and two in my back in rapid succession.
Youve never seen me move as fast and vault right back into the crowd from where I had came.
What a dump that place was and I mean a dump!

I remember this quite vividly as I was not far behind the said banner. It was in the section nearest their main stand. Bada Bing is correct.

It was a number of Ulster Flags all the same size stitched together and it actually had a union flag in the center of it. Guys were holding it up and police were sent in to pull it down as no doubt it was wrongly construed as being 'sectarian'. They were repelled! There was actually a photo of it at the time and what helps my memory was the chant went up of 'Ulster Says No'. There was a real feeling of defiance and no way were they coming in to take it down.

This was around 91/92 and at that time, while there was the odd flag/banner in the grounds it wasn't massively widespread for clubs to have them at domestic games. More big away trips. For me, this incident above changed this

There was a piece in Follow Follow about and it may actually have made the papers and was incorrectly reported. Off the back of this, the fanzine then put out a call to arms for everyone to mobilise and dig out any banner they had and turn up at the next game at the Piggery and get them up. It was the first of the modern 'Flag Days'. This led to the resurgence of the bringing of flags to games. I remember reading the rules in the FF which was along the lines of no gang names, no swearies and no paramilitary themes. I believe it was the 2nd Flag day there where the photo was taken which eventually was made into the famous poster that was given free with the fanzine of the full Rangers end with hardly an area not being covered with a banner of some description. It also coincided with us playing in the very first Champions League format and with the influence of European fans doing similar, our supporters and RSCs started getting their own ones made up.

Make no mistake that our support led from the front (coordinated with the fanzines) with creating atmospheres during this period ( we also had the bog roll day!)and it was some time until the Tims caught on and started to have any kind of attempts to keep up with us.

Oh and it was also mentioned in this thread about us all singing along to 'Grand Old' Team; with the Ha Has. This was started at Parkhead by us as we lorded it over them continually during the 90s and it took quite a period before they beat us and got the chance to retaliate by doing it to the Billy Boys. This got more attention as the cameras of course were above the Jungle, but again, we had been doing it way before this, they were just nicking our support's ideas
Great post. Remember these times well. Bog roll day was inituated because the piggery was (still is) such a shithole. ’Sash in the jungle’ was also popular when we played cup semis there.

Sorry, but it definitely happened at Parkhead. There was a large section of our fans in the terracing at their end, right next to the main stand. When they scored, a whole section at that bit never cheered and remained still.I think that it may have been the game where we were on a really long run of undefeated games in the eighties. I remember we all commented on it at the game at that time.
I do remember our fans in their end at Hampden as you mention.
I think it was the 1-3 defeat in Souness's 1st season, the area next to their main stand and next to the floodlight pylon was very subdued when the scum scored.

1st time I was at the piggery we drew 2-2 (we led 2-0 & Paul Wilson scored twice for the scum, 1976? was only 13 at the time) and there was trouble in the jungle & the cops herded the Bears into the Rangers end and left a big segregation area. Never saw us win there till Alex Miller's goal in 1980, but every time I went there, the Unity with fellow Bears was what we are all about you could not help but be swept away with the feeling that we truly are "The People" as has been said we stayed to the end, even the 4-2 "league decider" (we couldn't get out quick enough at full time mind you) we were there to support our team and we stood together!! AND THEY HATED IT:)) As has also been said, it was more by luck than judgement that no one was Killed in that dump, I think I paid in more times than I had a ticket and even using a ticket from the previous league match that season! I remember the entire Rangers end burst out laughing when they announced the attendance as 52K but they then backtracked in the Sunday papers cos the crowd was given as 60K (we lost 3-2, Prytz & Cooper) even they couldn't hide that!! The piggery was true "siege mentality" for the Bears, "What we have, We hold"!!

I think it did happen once mate, not long after Souness joined.

I've heard a few of the older lads in our supporters club talking about a couple of thousand Rangers supporters buying up tickets for the Celtic end at the piggery.

They were all together at the London Rd side of the Celtic end.

Think we lost the game 3-1.
Yep - I was in their end that day.No colours and we were all congregated in one corner :)

You had to wipe your feet on the way out, all that shitty red ash that they had. If it was raining your trousers were covered in crap if you did not have the sense to tuck them into your white posrts socks that were 3 pairs for a pound. Those stupid turnstiles that you went up stairs and all the protection you had was a brick wall that did not look the safest. Petty wee thing nowadays but in the early eighties when soldiers and civilians were getting blown to bits in NI it used to wind me up no end seeing that tricolour flying above their stand above their terrorist funding support.
I wasted a brand new pair of white puma trainers on my first visit due to the red ash and getting stood on, never knew any better. Remember some fans climbing onto the roof supports and police trying to get them down.

The only ground where Bears were in the celtic end was Old Hampden in the 71 and 73 SCF. This never happened at the piggery or Ibrox.
souness first season at the piggery 87 we lost 3-1 and i was along with hundreds in the celtic end next to the main stand, when we scored to pull it back to 2-1 the police herded us out. went round the ground and were let in our end.

souness first season at the piggery 87 we lost 3-1 and i was along with hundreds in the celtic end next to the main stand, when we scored to pull it back to 2-1 the police herded us out. went round the ground and were let in our end.
Some of us “faked injury” so that the St Johns Ambulance folk would take us to first aid then ask which part of the ground were you in? The Rangers end :)

I can always remember the day Spackman scored our winner was in the London road end and what made it sweeter it was actually played on the 1st.

We got 22000 in the Rangers end at their ground plus 5000 in their main stand for a while during the late 70’s and early 80’s
So when they cut our allocation to a narrow strip of seats in the corner we thought it was ok to keep giving them a full stand ? At long last things were made right though

Another thing we have to thank Dave King for (and Papa Smurf I believe)

Ah no bother mate.

Good friend of my old man drinks in there.

I was a member of the Gartsherrie Derry bus in the late 60s early 70s although I stayed at the other end of the town. Ive got a cracking picture of the supporter's dance taken around 1970 but I dont know how to post it.

When I got married in 1975 I bought a flat across the road from the club but by that time the bus wasnt running and I joined the whifflet Loyal.

good post mate,i remember it vividly as well,as you say there was no way they were getting that flag,you could feel the atmosphere turning nasty very quickly,the Rangers support was not to be messed with,the coppers wisely backed down
The thing was the Tims had unfurled a huge tricolour behind their goal at the time this was happening and there was no move by the polis to remove it. this understandably incensed us hence the reaction when they came into the Rangers end to try and take the flag away. Dumbarton Harp CSC was on theirs if I remember correctly.

I was a member of the Gartsherrie Derry bus in the late 60s early 70s although I stayed at the other end of the town. Ive got a cracking picture of the supporter's dance taken around 1970 but I dont know how to post it.

When I got married in 1975 I bought a flat across the road from the club but by that time the bus wasnt running and I joined the whifflet Loyal.
Sure we shared a bus with the Whifflet Loyal to Germany in the late 80's. Possibly 0-0 against Munich.
Was a mental trip - remember getting back to Dover and realising it was going to be the middle of the night by the time we got back and I didn't have any house keys. Phoned home to tell the then Mrs to leave the door open and she asks - "Were you at the Football?".
Not sure where she thought I'd been for the previous 3 days. Maybe she hadn't noticed that I was gone.
:)) :)) :))

They never got half at Ibrox and we never did at the piggery from my recollection. 1962 was a couple of years before I started to go to games so maybe it was different then....
A polis threatining to lift me for firing an imaginary shotgun in the direction of the jungle:oops:

Sure we shared a bus with the Whifflet Loyal to Germany in the late 80's. Possibly 0-0 against Munich.
Was a mental trip - remember getting back to Dover and realising it was going to be the middle of the night by the time we got back and I didn't have any house keys. Phoned home to tell the then Mrs to leave the door open and she asks - "Were you at the Football?".
Not sure where she thought I'd been for the previous 3 days. Maybe she hadn't noticed that I was gone.
:)) :)) :))
I remember her telling me for 3 days she better get home ;)

First time there, first ever OF game was 1st Jan 1986, we lost 2-0, still have my ticket stub, Janefield St, £2.50. The singsong tho was immense.

Celtic:
Bonner W McStay McGrain Aitken McGugan Grant McClair P McStay McGhee Burns Archdeacon Subs: McAdam McInally

Scorers: McGugan 9 McClair 49

Rangers:
Walker Dawson Munro McPherson Paterson Durrant McCoist Russell Williamson D Ferguson (Bell) Cooper (McMinn)
Has there ever been a more mentally challenged sounding line up. Christ

Back