The Only Thing Dodgy About the Penalty was the ref’s hesitation

Kent was clipped before the moment he was about to unleash at shot at the keeper. In any other fixture it is a stonewall penalty, but because it's us it has to be highlighted...if it was Kyogo we wouldn't be hearing a thing about this.

The hesitation shown by Beaton to award it. I thought he was going to let it go, he obviously knew that he would be pillared by everybody and their granny if he gave it and he therefore gave it a moment or two thought before pointing to the spot. Correct decision and we’ll done to him.
I’d say it’s good refereeing. He took his time before awarding it and not enough refs do that.

Cheating ?? I’ll tell ye what cheating is , that wee Japanese fucker falling down every week when nobody’s touched him- that’s cheating

I actually thought him waiting, assessing the tackle, seeing if there was any advantage to us before blowing was actually one of the better pieces of refereeing I've seen for a while.

I think now when ex players claim a penalty is soft it's them saying that they thought the player went down theatrically. None the less the absolute correct decision and I wouldn't have any complaints if a penalty was awarded against us for a similar challenge.

He really is an unlikable twat.
He really reminds me of Scott Brown: a flat track bully. His desperate attempts to get Alfredo in bother, theatrical diving if challenged, dirty and offf the ball antics. No class. He is made for C3lt1c or Junior football.

When the football TV broadcasters show such disappointment at a decision they don't like you know there is an issue in the game. The pressure on referees must be getting intolerable.

The hesitation shown by Beaton to award it. I thought he was going to let it go, he obviously knew that he would be pillared by everybody and their granny if he gave it and he therefore gave it a moment or two thought before pointing to the spot. Correct decision and we’ll done to him.
The absolute essence of Scottish Officials in that moment.

Its not that they are incompetent and cant make the right decisions, its just they dont want to make any decision at all save they make a mistake. Theyre only happy giving scrappy, nothing free kicks all over the pitch away from the Penalty Areas as it breaks up play and basically nothing happens, thus saving them from potentially having to make real calls which could swing a momentum and ultimately the match.

As mentioned he knew straight away it was a Penalty and the hesitation was simply a consideration of whether he could dodge it, which he would have had it been anywhere else on the pitch.

I think the reality is anybody watching it from a fair and balanced perspective would have given it instantly. Their really was not a shred of doubt.

Clear penalty. There's a contact for sure that brings Kent down. I think no one can argue with that. If he goes down easily (what would every player do?) and if Porteous didn't mean it is irrelevant. Stonewall penalty.

What comes to conspiracies...

We've received 4 penalties this season, Celtc 3.
We've conceded 2 penalties and they've only conceded one. So it's practically a tie.

It's the facts that usually ruin a cool story.

Hearts are leading the table in received penalties by the way. Hope they'll get one tonite.

Last edited:
I've honestly no idea why pundits keep bigging him up. McCann I think it was on Sportscene comparing him to Barisic because Porteous blocked a shot and Barisic turned away from one. Now, fair enough, and I agree that Borna does have that issue in his game, however Borna hasn't cost us 9 points within the last four domestic meetings between the teams. Porteous has cost them that.

I was up screaming ‘it’s f###ing right in front of you, your f###ing looking right at it, wtf you waiting on, a phonecall?’

Oh and ‘say those 3 magic words’ B-)

All between the foul and him actually blowing the whistle.

We have loads of good refs, Beaton is one of them, there is no problem with the standard.

I think with JB its about confidence sometimes hes thinking too much about the press coverage and thats why you see clear examples of bias, performances like the Hibs game at Ibrox years ago or that midweek game at Killie couple of seasons back.

Hes certainly given us plenty of decisions tbf but then hes supposed to do that, the penalty was a very easy decision im glad it was in front of our fans... the only ref i really dont trust doing the games is Madden he is a tim friendly match official and id guess we see far more of Madden madness in the 2nd half of the season.

If Porteous said initially he never touched him , why is he protesting to Beaton even before he gave the penalty? Surely he expected Kent to be booked for diving if he didn't touch him.
As you said Beaton hesitated a second or two before raising his arm. You can see Porteous on his knees pleading before Beaton's arm even starts to lift.

Last 2 games he's been in charge of us he has given us a result changing penalty in the last 10 minutes. Not a fan of beaton but he had not a bad game tonight for both teams
He was wrong to stop the play for Hanlon treatment and when Kent was down....

BUT....

He was consistent about it. Which made it fair enough - for me.

Have seen him much worse.

Let Newall away with too much though.

I've honestly no idea why pundits keep bigging him up. McCann I think it was on Sportscene comparing him to Barisic because Porteous blocked a shot and Barisic turned away from one. Now, fair enough, and I agree that Borna does have that issue in his game, however Borna hasn't cost us 9 points within the last four domestic meetings between the teams. Porteous has cost them that.

Seems to me if Porteous had a Gers shirt on his back - he'd have been banned Sine Die by now

This nonsense - 'he's a lovely lad - but maybe too eager on occasions' needs to be called out & binned right now IMO

He's a niggly wee scrote who's extremely lucky to have evaded a seriously long ban up till now & he shows no sign of mending his ways

I can't imagine his dangerous play being tolerated in any other league the way it is here - & regrettably it is only a matter of time before he causes serious injury to someone - hopefully not one of our players

Seems to me if Porteous had a Gers shirt on his back - he'd have been banned Sine Die by now

This nonsense - 'he's a lovely lad - but maybe too eager on occasions' needs to be called out & binned right now IMO

He's a niggly wee scrote who's extremely lucky to have evaded a seriously long ban up till now & he shows no sign of mending his ways

I can't imagine his dangerous play being tolerated in any other league the way it is here - & regrettably it is only a matter of time before he causes serious injury to someone - hopefully not one of our players
He really does have 'Tony Ralston laughing at Neymar while 7-1 down' vibes. It's absolute loser behaviour and the boy only has himself to blame. We potentially have a World Cup coming up, and while I don't think he's good enough anyway, he should be doing everything he can to improve his game and make the squad. Instead he's too busy charging out of position to try and foul someone.

I think if our refs went full time there would be massive improvement, it’s shows by the fact that even tho Beaton and Walsh are capable of the odds howler 8/10 times I think they generally are good and referee the game well

Back