The over-rated/under-rated thread

NotOffside

Simple. Feel free to name a current player who you think is either, and explain why you feel they are either over-rated or under-rated. Preferably footballers within the UK but players elsewhere in the major leagues is also fine.

And if anyone says Harry Kane is over-rated I'll lose my shit.

Overrated: Niko Katic, Harry Maguire, Mason Mount

Underrated: Oli McBurnie & Olivier Giroud

Is he though? It's not like people really say he's world-class. He's just an exciting but raw player with clear potential. But he needs to be playing every week and that's not going to happen at Chelsea anytime soon.

He got given a new contract of around 100k a week at 18 years of age because he played 2/3 games. I’ve yet to see him do anything to back that up and if he wasn’t English it wouldn’t have happened.

He got given a new contract of around 100k a week at 18 years of age because he played 2/3 games. I’ve yet to see him do anything to back that up and if he wasn’t English it wouldn’t have happened.

Well Bayern were pretty desperate to sign him so it's clear the lad has a lot of ability. Chelsea either had to lose him for very little or give him a silly and underserved contract for him to stay. But based on his potential alone he would fetch them 40 or 50 million easily enough from plenty of big clubs if they decided to flog him. And it's an if, but he could fetch triple that in the future if he fulfills his potential.

I’m not sure if it’s a case of under rated or the fact we just haven’t seen enough of them but our two recent free signings-McLaughlin and Balogun, I have no fear or doubt when I see their name on the team sheet.

Well Bayern were pretty desperate to sign him so it's clear the lad has a lot of ability. Chelsea either had to lose him for very little or give him a silly and underserved contract for him to stay. But based on his potential alone he would fetch them 40 or 50 million easily enough from plenty of big clubs if they decided to flog him. And it's an if, but he could fetch triple that in the future if he fulfills his potential.

You aren’t saying much to convince me he isn’t overrated. Don’t take it personal if someone doesn’t like a player you do.

You aren’t saying much to convince me he isn’t overrated. Don’t take it personal if someone doesn’t like a player you do.

Where have I taken it personally?! You're more than welcome to your opinion. Just stating that he clearly has a lot of potential but agree that he has lost his way over the last 12 months or so. If people were calling him world-class or something along those lines then I would completely agree that he's over-rated. What we can both agree on is that the contract he is on doesn't help him one little bit as a footballer, and the money involved is a cancer within football.

I'll add more to this but considering I've seen people commenting things like "How is he a Premier League player?" and "He's trash" etc, In going to go for Declan Rice as an under-rated player. This is based on the fact that pretty much every time I've seen West Ham play he's been either their best or one of the best players on the pitch. He always looks a classy and intelligent footballer to me, although I'd like to see how he does at centre-back.

Harry Maguire is the easy choice for over-rated. He's a solid enough defender with the right man next to him but I've seen glaciers move quicker. He really needs to step up his game as he's been at least a level believe what he showed at his precious club Leicester.

Not really interested in much football beyond Rangers these days so will stick with our own.

Underrated: Connor Goldson.

Came into a team that was loosing goals for fun and made an instant impact. He’s arguably our most consistent player since Gerrard arrived, constantly talks to the players around him and has chipped in with a few goals. There’s a reason he’s one of the first names on the team sheet.

Speaking of Alli, I really do wonder what happened to him. A couple of years ago he was absolutely one of the best players of his age on the planet and looked set for stardom. He looks a shadow of that player now, and even the spite he used to have in his game has left him. I can only think his life outside of football meant he took his eye of the ball and his mentality and attitude isn't what it was. Perhaps he just needs a move to reignite his career. It's a bit of a mystery as he definitely has the talent.

Underrated: Ciro Immobile

An absolute machine of a striker. Possibly the best in Europe this season but you never hear him mentioned alongside Lewandowski, Kane, Agüero, Ronaldo (who he’s outscored) etc.

Underrated: Ciro Immobile

An absolute machine of a striker. Possibly the best in Europe this season but you never hear him mentioned alongside Lewandowski, Agüero, Ronaldo (who he’s outscored) etc.
I actually thought of him earlier, the only thing that goes against him is maybe his comparative struggles in Dortmund and to a lesser extent Sevilla. The fact he's been excellent in his 1st and 2nd spells in Italy might suggest to some people he can only do it in his own league. Wonder if he'll get a chance at a big club or if he'll be content where he is.

Overrated: Mo Salah

Still a very good player but his absolute freak of a first season at Liverpool clouds people’s judgement. Mane and Firmino are the real stars of that Liverpool front line.

Overrated: Mo Salah

Still a very good player but his absolute freak of a first season at Liverpool clouds people’s judgement. Mane and Firmino are the real stars of that Liverpool front line.
Been saying this for a couple of seasons, Firmino is the most pivotal player in that front line. Was watching SSN a while back and you had the 'expert' or dinosaur Charlie Ridiculous saying "aye but he doesn't score enough" by this point he had scored 25 goals in 50 games IIRC.

Perhaps not under-rated by people in the game, but Pedro was a big part of some of the best teams modern football has ever seen yet he was always overshadowed by players around him who I felt had bigger reputations. He really should be remembered as a legend.

If Sheffield United wanted to get rid of a 32 year-old forward that managed 2 league goals in 28 appearances this season (both in the same game) on the cheap, I'd be happy for us to take David McGoldrick off their hands to compete as our 2nd or 3rd choice striker.

Overrated - Aaron Hickey. Don't understand all the big clubs allegedly scouting him. He's been poor everytime I've seen him.

Underrated - Olivier Giroud. Would love to see him in a Gers top.

Back