The passing of Gilbert "Gilby" Morrison - of Temple and Shafton

mdingwall

Administrator
The passing of Gilbert "Gilby" Morrison - of Temple and Shafton

Well known in Temple, Shafton, Faifley and Duntocher - and the motor trade, Gilby has passed away.

Originally from Temple he lived in Shafton in later years which often made him chuckle that he had made the trip through "the longest 100 yards in Glasgow" - in his youth the gang fighting between the Scurvy and the SYTO did indeed make the lane between the two areas not a trip for the faint-hearted.

I got to know Gilby when he was drinking and sometimes working in a Partick pub when I was a student and employed in the licensing trade.

A hard worker he grafted as a motor mechanic. As well as his family and Rangers he would later enjoy his time as a member of the Masonic institution.

I will always remember him with a smile and his cheery demeanour.

A schoolfriend informed me of his death and of the details in the following manner -

"Diagnosis with pancreatic cancer in November & was meant to start chemo this week...he didn't want anyone to know...he thought he might have got a year or two with the treatment but his body just gave up. Alan is on his way back from Australia with his brother to make funeral arrangements. It was such a shock that he has passed away so quickly"

RIP Gilbert
I lived in the next close to the Morrisons a lovely family and went to school with his older sisters Avril and Margaret god bless sleep tight

Hit the nail on the head with grafter and family man. Was so proud of his boys and I always admired how close they were as a family. He used to love his fishing outings and visits up to North Uist.

My proposer, RWM, brother and over all my big pal.

I was always in Shafton in my youth and played fitbaw with Stevie Whitehead ( on RANGERS books) and Eddie Sinclair ( snooker players son) and drank in The Siggy in Temple and the Esquire House at Anniesland Cross.

Didn't know Gilbert but many a time walked from Shafton through the lane to Temple.

He may have lived at the old shops at the beginning of Shafton down at the footy pitches.

God Bless You Gilbert.

I was always in Shafton in my youth and played fitbaw with Stevie Whitehead ( on RANGERS books) and Eddie Sinclair ( snooker players son) and drank in The Siggy in Temple and the Esquire House at Anniesland Cross.

Didn't know Gilbert but many a time walked from Shafton through the lane to Temple.

He may have lived at the old shops at the beginning of Shafton down at the footy pitches.

God Bless You Gilbert.
The shops have long been demolished and replaced by low-risers.

If you come out of the lane from Temple and turn right on Shafton Road he lived a few doors down.

The shops have long been demolished and replaced by low-risers.

If you come out of the lane from Temple and turn right on Shafton Road he lived a few doors down.

Yeah, know about the shops being demolished, I still have relatives in Shafton but don't visit as much now.

RIP Gilbert
I lived in the next close to the Morrisons a lovely family and went to school with his older sisters Avril and Margaret god bless sleep tight
Hi jimibrox i am a new member i saw your post re: gilbert morrisons passing we were friends for years at Sutcliffe road No55 his mum &Dad where my sisters Godparents so sad to hear of his death A True Bluenose

Confirmation of Funeral Details

We can now confirm the details for Gilby's funeral. His funeral will take place next Tuesday 14th February 2023 at 11:15 at Glasgow Crematorium (Old Chapel). Full address 19 Tresta Rd, Glasgow G23 5AA.

The cars will be leaving the family home at 70 Shafton Road at approximately 10:45 to go to the Crematorium for anyone that wishes to follow. After the service you are all invited to join the family in remembering and celebrating Gilby's life.

The Funeral wake is being held at The Barr and Stroud's Bowling Club. 242 Netherton Rd, Glasgow G13 1BJ.

We have a weblink for those that can't attend, but would like to watch live or at any point up to 28 days after.

Details for this service are provided below.

Webcast | Obitus

Obitus webcast
watch.obitus.com
watch.obitus.com
Username - kume1339
Password - 155639

We would like to take this opportunity to again thank everyone for their support, it has been greatly appreciated and leaves us immensely proud at the love that so many had for Gilby.

No gifts or flowers required. We will have a collection available at the service for The Beatson Cancer Charity If anyone wishes to donate.

Love from the Morrisons

Back