The problem with Ojo and Aribo

usbear

Both have loads of potential but they look like they need more time to adjust to Scottish Football

Borna being the prime example

The have to want It and the gaffer has to give them game time to get it

The problem is when you’re in a dog fight can you afford to take the time to get these boys up to speed.

I suspect Kent will probably come in to replace Ojo more often now that he’s fit, but we have no choice but to be patient with Aribo and hope like Borna he finds his groove.

Both have loads of potential but they look like they need more time to adjust to Scottish Football

The problem is when you’re in a dog fight can you afford to take the time to get these boys up to speed.

I suspect Kent will probably come in to replace Ojo more often now that he’s fit, but we have no choice but to be patient with Aribo and hope like Borna he finds his groove.
I suspect you'll see a front three of Ojo, Morelos and Kent more often than not.

Unless we can somehow see into the future, I think it's time to cut back on the youth signings on loan, we got lucky with Kent, but he had some successful and unsuccessful loan periods in his career and had the experience of getting over that.

It takes time for these youth players to get to grips with the game up here and by the time they do, the season is over.

Aribo, I have no idea, I hadn't heard of him until he was linked with us so can't really say anything about potential ability. and he seems to be struggling with the league so far.

The sooner the better for me mate and the same with JJ good as they are we can't wait for them to turn up and they don't offer the same pace and for me I'd have brought him on for Ojo sooner,the difference he made when he came on and I get the impression the gaffer wants him in ASAP.

I think the difference with Ojo is he just looks disinterested

Aribo at least looks for the ball but without offering much when he gets it. I think he will definitely come good giving a bit of time

You may be right, but I always felt what we really needed in the summer was two straight out of the box players in these positions who’d quantifiably improve our starting eleven.

I’m still of the opinion that’s what we lack, but who knows, maybe they’ll develop into those players before the season is out.

I think BB will be fine going forward.
Aribo is stronger physically but needs to get attuned to the rough and tumble of the scottish league.That incident at Livingston being the prime example.
Coulibally started strong then took a ‘doing’ from McGinn of St Boo and never was the same player again.
I really think Ojo has talent but he looks like he doesn’t fancy the physicality of this league.Rarely puts in a tackle.Rarely if ever tracks back, and more often than not just shoots if he gets anywhere near the oppositions goal.
There is talk of Gerrard wanting to buy him.Well…he is going to have to show more consistently for me before we spash out on him.At the moment on the pitch he is a luxury we just can’t afford to have there.

I'm still trying to figure out what type of player Aribo actually is.Is He another holding midfielder? Is he a box to box midfielder? Is he a number 10 ? Or is he a player who prefers the role that Arfield plays.He looks to me like a guy who is not comfortable with what he is being asked to do that's for sure.As for Ojo I'd cut his loan short in January and bring back one of our own youngsters like Hastie or McPake

Disagree, Ojo clearly has talent and has actually shown it more than once this season.

His problem is inconsistent execution of the talent he does have and his inability to work when we're not in possession.

Aribo has more talent and is the better player of the two.

All I've seen from him is that he's got a good dig with his left peg. That's it.

Aribo is just playing too deep imo. It's rare you see him making forward runs off the ball, he's does it for Nigeria and has 2 goals in 2 games for them, did it against Midtjyland and got a goal there as well, he's a good player being limited by the system and Gerrard should consider tweaking it slightly to get the best out of Aribo, there's no reason we cant play a 4-2-3-1 against 85% of the sides we come up against yet we have Aribo covering for our fullbacks when they get forward.

Ojo's issues are self made, he has the talent but seems to lack much of a footballing brain. When he doesn't think and just reacts instinctively he's a good player, the goal against Feyenoord and even chances that he didn't score on but immediately knew what he wanted to do and would make a nice run and get a shot off are what i want to see from him. Unfortunately those moments are rare and the longer and longer he's on the ball and worse the results is going to be, the amount of times he'll run down the wing, get into a position to cross it then just hold onto it for a few seconds too long before his cross gets blocked are maddening, or being in positions to shoot but taking a extra tough or two before shooting it and nothing comes from it. He's contributed to 9 goals in 17 games this season yet he's a absolute ghost in the vast majority of the matches. I dont think theres much hope for Ojo, reckon he's just going to be a frustrating player the entire time he's here

For me the two things Ojo must improve on are being more direct and aggressive when he’s taking on a man and also he needs to improve his decision making.

Aribo is a talent but he needs to get the finger out.

I suspect you'll see a front three of Ojo, Morelos and Kent more often than not.

Against certain opposition that would be superb. I'd even opt for that against the tims. Ojo's real strength in my opinion is driving into space from the middle, to the middle, of the park but yesterday he got confined to run wide into the corner flag and when he got pinned in his ability to get a cross off or go by his man was non-existent.

Ojo lacks a football brain

He doesnt make the right runs and is constantly 10 yards away from barasic making a killer pass impossible

He reminds me of Oliver burke

Ojo looks like an athlete that has been taught to play football. He doesn’t seem to get it, you never see him riled or fired up. Looks like it wouldn’t bother him if he never played again,

Plenty of players are blessed with ability. Having the desire and commitment to match it is the difficult part. This is where the manager earns his corn.

Aribo has class but seems unsure of his role in the team. Ojo plays as if he doesn't want to be here. I hope that the rumour that the Gaffer wants to sign him permanently is not true.

Do we have time to develop Ojo and should we not be developing one of our own youngsters ?

It's ridiculously unfair including Aribo in this. He's constantly collecting the ball from our defenders which isn't his game at all.

Our tactics aren't suited to him

I would say a front 3 of Kent Morelos Stewart is our best after the season so far.

Aribo will be fine but the balance seems wrong when Jack isn’t their which is a concern given how injury prone he can be

I’ve been defending Ojo for weeks.

His July to October contribution has exceeded what Kent gave us in the same period last season.

However the OP used a useful phrase. “They have to want it”. I’m starting to doubt how much Ojo wants it. He looks like a young English lad who knows he’s only here short term. When I’ve watched interviews with him, there’s a lackadaisical vibe to him that I just can’t warm to. I don’t think he’s “bought into” what wearing that badge means yet. Whether he every will we don’t yet know.

Both will take time to adapt to the physicality of the league but what does annoy me is the lack of effort from Ojo in particular. He does not track back enough or close down the opposition players . No matter what league you have to do that at the top level.

Aribo is a player, he has been cutting it at the highest level of international football .
Ojo needs to start showing a lot more than he has been ,I'm not sure at this point in time that he has that in him .

Aribo will be a big player for us going forward. Might take a bit of time but will be worth giving him time to settle.

Ojo has decent stats but I don't like the way he poofs out of every challenge. At least Kent got stuck right in.

Although I do agree we might see a front 3 of Kent Morelos and Ojo in the not too distant future. Could run riot if Ojo pulls his socks up.

All we can do is get behind the players and management and hope we are going to be good enough to win the league with the obvious concern of halting the filth from adding to their haul of tainted titles but it is what it is now...they’ve reached 8 and to be honest and realistic still merit being favourites to win it again...it’s up to us go out and prove everyone wrong and I’m not saying we can’t or won’t but we may have to stomach them getting another and if they do it shouldn’t mean getting rid of the manager who has improved us and only been in charge for 18 months and 2 seasons come MAY.

For me, unless this season turns to absolute shit such as winning nothing and finishing well behind that mob then we’ll just have to accept it and hope another transfer window or two puts us in the position to take top spot and dominate once again but the desire to be successful again whilst simultaneously putting the filth back in their box has to be viewed rationally without knee jerk reactions because of the disappointment of not getting what we want.

We have had a mountain to climb since 2012 and Scottish football was turned to absolute shit to the benefit of one club so it’s going to take however long it takes to get back to where we want to be and it will happen but whether fans accept it or not where we have been and the shit we have had to sort through these last 8 years has allowed the filth free reign and created a farcical advantageous situation like never before in the history of the Scottish game so I will not be throwing the toys out of the pram if we don’t manage to win it this year, the Aribo’s and Ojo’s are not finished articles because the money isn’t there like before to go out and get the bulk of our team with guys who’ve got bags of experience and proven ability at a high level. These are the inescapable facts to judge the situation fairly and rationally.

Last edited:
Aribo is a player, he has been cutting it at the highest level of international football .
Ojo needs to start showing a lot more than he has been ,I'm not sure at this point in time that he has that in him .
International football is just that, actual football being played. Aribo is fine in that environment as we all know. It's whether he can adapt to the sort of game we had at the weekend that's the problem.

For me the difference is Aribo looks as if he's got talent, Ojo doesn't.

I think Ojo’s clearly got talent, the problem is he isn’t really up for it, which is hopeless really.

Not sure what’s happened with Aribo lately but games seem to be passing him by now.

The problem with Ojo and Aribo is a lot of our fans ability to translate and accept what they actually are and the premise of why we make additions like them.
If they were both finished products they wouldn't be with us and people can't understand that they're young players with potential that will have bad and inconsistent games and we have to accept that

Ojo reminding me of windass, got something but clearly not a heart. I'd be starting Kent and Stewart every game now..I think they would link up well

Aribo has got it, its just a question of where we should be playing him.
Ojo is an utter dud and im at the angry stage when i see him on the team sheet, game after game he is giving us nothing. I think his confidence has gone but we cannot carry passengers.

Ojo is an utter dud and im at the angry stage when i see him on the team sheet, game after game he is giving us nothing. I think his confidence has gone but we cannot carry passengers.

what nonsense. some hit for an utter dud this. he could be doing more, but we need to wrap this "he's shite" pish.

International football is just that, actual football being played. Aribo is fine in that environment as we all know. It's whether he can adapt to the sort of game we had at the weekend that's the problem.
It's a fair point but there is no doubting the lad is a footballer , time will tell if he can handle the cut and thrust of the SPFL, I think, given time to adjust, he can .

These young players should be getting support and encouragement off the settled players. The problem is there are too many off the boil including our Captain and Arfield.

Quite why Stewart is not getting more game time is baffling given he knows what to expect at each ground and also the hammer throwers of Scottish football.

Gerrard needs to find the right formula and stick with it. Also I'm a great believer in don't change a winning team.

If I was lucky and talented enough to be a pro’ footballer at Ibrox, i’d be busting my gut every time i got selected to play.
The very thought of winning medals should be enough for Rangers players, otherwise what’s the point in playing there at all?

Regardless of what you think of their individual abilities so far, both Ojo and Aribo should be doing their all to sieze this opportunity in their career, and become champions.

Back