The Pyro Debate - be aware any demented responses will result in a banning

Do you imagine that drunk people doing something stupid with one won't be an ongoing concern?
This guy is talking about an incident which occurred in the middle of George Square in a crowd full of fans that the majority of would have been drinking for hours.

As I said, UB pyro displays I’m all for. Individuals in control of them, not so much.

I think it looks great on TV.

Wouldn't fancy being near one though with the smoke and potential for burns.

Football is all about passion, emotion and rivalry. Pyro done right adds to all of that and ads to the atmosphere. Football shouldn’t be about sanity control and good behaviour all the time.

Too many people trying to kill what makes football special.

I think the reaction to it is a bit OTT. Theyve been doing it for years overseas without huge risk

If it’s organized responsibly as a group it brings some Color to the game. yon display down on Clyde side is still my residing memory of 55. The authorities should only prosecute the idiots who are irresponsible with it like those who throw them and leave the rest to their fun.

I’m definitely against draconian punishment fuelled by the media

Possible safety issues aside, I just can't be bothered with it. In the old days, listening to TBB echoing around Ibrox made your hair stand on end. Pyro is just daft.

If watching on the TV I think it's great. Looks good if done properly. Not so great if it delays kick off.
If at the game it's a pain in the ass
So very much NIMBY for me

Video doing the rounds of a flare blown up in a fans hands in george square mate.

The person in that video was fine, the "fingers" flying off were just fragments of the smoke bomb, a flare exploding may do that to your hand but not a smoke. Another person lost or severely fucked their hand in an unrelated incident but don't believe it was pyro.

Think it looks cracking from a distance but would give me the fear if me and my boy were in amongst it at a game.

not really if done right
How do you do it right in all seated stadiums with people waving around a flare burning at a couple of thousand degrees Fahrenheit?

To ‘do it right’ would be to give training, a safe radius and PPE, but I suspect you mean just make sure the person is tall enough to hold it high and isn’t steaming drunk.

I’m on the fence, I don’t really mind. Does it do anything for the players, would be my question.

Clubs using pyro for promotional videos where there is £ to be made yet being the first to punish fans for being caught using pyro is always amusing. Make it make sense.

The use of Pyro has came a long way in Scotland over the last 5/10 years, becoming relatively co-ordinated in a safe manner ( despite being a dangerous product ). Nice to look at pictures/ videos etc but the damage to clothing it can do if in close proximity of it can be a bit of a pain In the arse if truth be told.

I was impressed by it when I seen foreign supporters do it on the telly years ago. Not so much anymore but so long as its done safely then it's of no bother to me. The only trouble is, it's wee guys and not trained pyrotechnicians who are doing it.

A disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Looks spectacular, I just wonder about the safety side of it and possible dangers to fans who maybe have respiratory problems, for these reasons, reluctantly I would say it probably needs to be stopped

Organised and Pre arranged pyro looks amazing. It will never be allowed by club officials though for obvious safety reasons
The club will still be responsible for what happens within their four walls so they’d be correct to not sanction it.
The whole mood would change here if there is an injury to somebody and, more so, an innocent somebody.

How do you do it right in all seated stadiums with people waving around a flare burning at a couple of thousand degrees Fahrenheit?

To ‘do it right’ would be to give training, a safe radius and PPE, but I suspect you mean just make sure the person is tall enough to hold it high and isn’t steaming drunk.

Within displays

Club are quite happy using pictures of pyro for marketing purposes when it suits and if it was such a big issue they could’ve nipped it in the bud ages ago

I like the pyro at the football - wouldn’t hold one up myself but do enjoy it
Yes it’s not my thing being involved either I would leave that to the pros (The UB) but it’s still a good spectacle

I sit in the club deck so very much a spectator of the pyro and think it looks awesome when done right.

For away and euro games, I’ve been a bit closer to it and it’s less fun when you get caught near a flare. Obviously the guys lighting them are expecting it and usually have masks or balaclavas on but for those around that could be an issue.

I think it should be encouraged as it adds to the atmopshere but perhaps tgere should be an area where it is allowed at the start of games, so tgat precautions can be taken in that area and everryone is aware of its use.

Still reading through the thread but was going to ask what "safe pyro" actually means. Genuinely ignorant - does this mean just being careful with a scorching firework amongst closely packed fans or that they are actually something that works differently?

Wouldn't be a fan of the potential for accidental burns, etc despite the spectacle.
My Mrs has serious issues with Asthma, she goes into blind panic as soon as one is lit, if you were stood with her at a game you wouldn't think it was such a good idea. And before anyone asks she's been following the Rangers longer than most of those setting them off have been alive!

It would have to be organised, and done safely.

Some people we see doing it just now, just lob the thing forward when they are finished with it, even though it is still lit.

Much prefer the displays that are put on by the UB e.g. after the death of Her Majesty the Queen last September. Pyro displays do nothing for the atmosphere other than fill the air with acrid smoke.

I was in the Rangers End at the Hibs Cup Final and, unfortunately, my bit of the terracing was covered with smoke at kick off. The first thing I knew that Hibs had scored was a roar from their end and then, faintly, seeing us restart the game.

I go to the games to watch the match whether resultant events on the field are good or bad. Always thought that was the reason for going to the football.

I remember being in the jungle when hampden was shut.
Guys bringing in full bin bags of torn up newspapers to throw.
Simpler times.
Bog roll and confetti day at the League Cup Final against Hibs! Hoping for rain so it would make it more difficult for the Parkhead cleaners to sweep up! Brilliant times :D
I also remember the old Follow Follow fanzine producing a glossy photo of the scene in full flight.

Bog roll and confetti day at the League Cup Final against Hibs! Hoping for rain so it would make it more difficult for the Parkhead cleaners to sweep up! Brilliant times :D
I also remember the old Follow Follow fanzine producing a glossy photo of the scene in full flight.
Walter Smith's Blue & White Army poster.

Was at a Scotland game at Hampden last year. Some idiot threw a flare. Caused quite a lot of anxiety, some lassie picked it up and threw it as it was fizzing near her feet. Tbh it could have gone anywhere when she threw it, individual stuff like that is really dangerous. If it can be done safely, then fine.

When we do it, it looks fuckin great, anybody else? shite. I am an emotional Rangers fan, and when i see our fans doing something organized, i just think it looks brilliant. The Union Bears do an amazing job

Still got that poster

It is impossible for the police to rigorously search 50000 people. You’d need people turning up 3 or 4 hours before kick off and queuing to be able to do the required checks
That's not strictly true, is it? Many years ago before smart card turnstiles, they were manned and cops stood at the outside searching supporters. You wouldn't really be searching 50k anyway. You wouldn't be searching kids and granny. You profile.

Continued obsession with copying European fans. Same chants but different words and the same pyro displays all the time loses its appeal.

I can appreciate how it looks visually but I personally prefer flags and banners

As someone with autism, and autistic kids, going to the football is tough at the best of times - jammed against folk from all sides (it feels like that anyway), no easy way to step out unless I've managed to get an end seat, and even then half the time somebody else is in it; volume; the stench of the concourse due to the toilets, smoke from cigs, the food concessions, the smell of pished people; people wanting to chat; and so on I am not a fan of pyro - it's just another sensory nightmare that does limit my ability to support my team.

As someone with autism, and autistic kids, going to the football is tough at the best of times - jammed against folk from all sides (it feels like that anyway), no easy way to step out unless I've managed to get an end seat, and even then half the time somebody else is in it; volume; the stench of the concourse due to the toilets, smoke from cigs, the food concessions, the smell of pished people; people wanting to chat; and so on I am not a fan of pyro - it's just another sensory nightmare that does limit my ability to support my team.
What you describe is the total lack of appropriate spaces for folks with specific requirements but is also demonstration of what else needs improved at the stadium. Ibrox should cater for all fans and cater for everyone to a better standard.

We should be proud of our stadium toilets are a shameful disgrace.

Pyro looks nice, adds to the atmosphere, but i've seen occasions where people are totally irresponsible with them. I once seen a flare dropped from the upper tier at Easter Road the night Roofe scored the penalty. Thats when it becomes dangerous.

They look good at first, however the smoke and not being able to see is rather annoying. Also idiots keep throwing them onto the pitch makes us end up with fines

Back