The Pyro Debate - be aware any demented responses will result in a banning

Headline “people are going to be killed”?. My question is has anyone been killed?… I know someone got their hand blown to bits a year or two ago. It looks nice on the tv but being in the middle of it the smoke stinks. All in all I’m on the fence lol.
Video doing the rounds of a flare blown up in a fans hands in george square mate.

Not seen the George Square one, don’t watch this one if you’ve not had your lunch.

Displays can look good but only really at evening games.

People mock folk that do stuff for likes on social media, but when all's said and done that is all pyro is. Fan groups trying to out do each other for the best visual spectacle to share around on twitter.

In terms of atmosphere, something like the Parma game or Dynamo Kiev knocks it into a cocked hat and there wasnt so much as a party popper let off on those nights.
The East/South euro teams used to do it to create an intimidating atmosphere for visiting clubs. Red Star Belgrade still have that tunnel they walk through into the stadium. Other clubs have their own ways of making it less comfortable for opponents. Pyro at Ibrox or any other Scottish ground isn't one of them and as you say it's now about "ooh look at us how cool we are, doing something that is banned".

I think we need to start treating folk like adults , the pyro displays look great and add to the spectacle and aslong as its safe then dont see the issue but its when they start getting thrown onto the pitch is a problem

It looks great but it can be quite dodgy, start of the season at Livi a couple of boys ran down the back of fans and let off smoke, couple of the older guys were struggling a bit and had to move to get a breath.

Folk were really struggling at the Legia Warsaw game due to the smoke from their display. A few had to go down to the concourse for treatment including kids. It was like halftime in the Club Deck toilets but in colour.

Leave it to bonfire night. Looks spectacular I agree but no place in a public sporting event where the crowd are mixed and the risk is high. We have learnings from the past, lets not ignore them for a bit of bright light and smoke.

I was next to one of these that didn’t ignite properly once and it was spitting red hot shards out all over us. Always wonder if that happens often in the crowd. No interest in being near them after that

It looks spectacular and the Clydeside display was amazing! I would love to see something similar running from the Sandy Jardine right round the ground finishing with the UB in the Broomloan, and a drop down display banner to open a big European game. If organised properly with the clubs assistance, it could be done safely. A few buckets of sand ready and off you go.

I can't say I'm over concerned one way or another over this
It's obviously a relatively recent issue & my memory of atmospheres before this trend is not exactly negative

Obviously the effect is almost entirely visual - so if that's really the only plus - doing without it shouldn't make an enormous difference IMO

Considering the health & safety culture we're now experiencing in almost every aspect of our lives - it's probably inevitable this will be clamped down on - more than it's been so far - with increased prosecutions & punishments

I personally don't feel we'll be missing much in the overall scheme of things - if they 'fizzle' out

I would suggest in this pc age of ours bringing pyrotechnics to a football stadium is off the Richter scale but it doesn’t half look good.

It looks amazing, and adds that extra sense of occasion to European nights especially, but it can be dangerous. We all seen the video other posters are mentioning. Nor should those who have health issues or are concerned for their safety have to suffer it if someone nearby is using it.

It also leaves the club open to possible legal claims should something bad happen to someone in the stadium.

Controlled, organised use of safest devices available, in designated areas, is the way to go.

There’s a quick Pat down that you get most places and then there’s a rigorous Pat down/check when you need to empty pockets/go through a few lines of people checking you

Seville and Warsaw were proper checks

I can confirm that Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe and the Carl Benz Stadion in Mannheim were proper checks. Crowd size ranging from 13,000 to 50,000. As is the SAP Arena in Mannheim, and the only start that 90 minutes before face off for 13,000 people.

All for it.

Problem in Scotland is too many wee guys/bird hangers on see it being done competently and decide to try and replicate, making a complete arse of it in the process.

Leave it to actual Ultras that know what they're doing and there'll be no harm done and it'll be properly coordinated.

The Clydeside display was amazing, a fantastic sight. Safe pyro displays are ok by me.

A vote of no thanks for me.

I want to see the game when I go to the football. Getting a restricted view is irritating to the extreme.

It’s also not safe. We’ve all seen pics of guys that have blown their hands off.

I think we need to start treating folk like adults , the pyro displays look great and add to the spectacle and aslong as its safe then dont see the issue but its when they start getting thrown onto the pitch is a problem
So it should start by people acting as adults before we all treat them as adults then

Loved Warsaw doing it at Ibrox when we were in full flow in the last 20 minutes of the game. They disrupted our quick attacking play during the play off.

Alfie showed them Karma :D

Don’t know if anyone has been killed , nearly killed and I certainly hope no one ever will. I think that’s exaggerated nonsense. For me Pyro is a great addition to the overall spectacle and atmosphere of a game. Long May it continue but I suspect the NATS and the police will take serious measures to prevent it. They would have us all strapped in our seats if they had the chance.

There are safe pyro products out there. Can't post link from my phone but they've been used in Denmark and Norway in the past.
Agree it looks good but should be used carefully
Still reading through the thread but was going to ask what "safe pyro" actually means. Genuinely ignorant - does this mean just being careful with a scorching firework amongst closely packed fans or that they are actually something that works differently?

Wouldn't be a fan of the potential for accidental burns, etc despite the spectacle.

Not a fan. It's not great if you are sitting above it getting choked by the smoke. I'm healthy enough, but I would imagine if you had chest or breathing problems it would be bad.

I’m now a huge fan of organised displays as long as nothing gets thrown

The Clyde side display after 55 was truly awe inspiring.

So, it’s a yes from me.

Still reading through the thread but was going to ask what "safe pyro" actually means. Genuinely ignorant - does this mean just being careful with a scorching firework amongst closely packed fans or that they are actually something that works differently?

Wouldn't be a fan of the potential for accidental burns, etc despite the spectacle.

theres a thing there about "cold pyro" in denmark. another few articles about using it in norway as well.
The stuff in the image from the danish article maybe doesnt look as good but if its safe and not gonna get the club into bother then it makes sense for me

I like the big organised displays. i watch most games on tv these days , fr various reasons, and it can look immense.

Not really sure how I would feel standing just next to it witha kid though for safety reasons. That and folk then throwing stuff on to the pitch are the only issues I would have.

Then again, we have a dafty or two launching half bottles of buckie on to the pitch, so its not just the pyro boys.

It's a yes from me ,any excuse(and yes I realise this is not in the ground) on a side note just how many bodies were involved in that. Few hundred easy.

That's ok because there is proper spacing - inside a football ground you're not going to get safe spacing around the holder of the flare. there will be dross dropping from the flare that could injure the holder or other spectators - when training someone to use a handheld distress flare, you train them to hold it at arms length and make sure that the dross isn't going to fall on anything that's flammable or injure someone. Or if someone drops a flare.

It's a worthwhile debate to be had but the hatred some fans show for one another can be breath-taking - any incidents of that will see you banned.

For what 's worth - I'm for safe pyro on a scale that makes it worthwhile - not individual stragglers doing their own thing.

should be banned all over i’m not a fan of them

If done properly I am happy for it but it needs to be managed and controlled so everyone is safe. Not sure I want random people bring pryos into grounds and lighting them.

For example there should be a space to dispose of them in a sand bucket so they aren't just thrown on to the side of the pitch. Like to think there is a compromise solution that makes everyone happy but I realise everything seems to descend into either needing to be fully for or against everything.

It certainly looks great and no doubt v the vhermin at Hampden we will be trying to outpyro each other.

The flip side is the smoke can be a genuine health hazard to some people (not me) and that has to be considered.

Also mildly annoying that you are watching the start of the match through a cloud of smoke.

Guy who works in our German office is a Frankfort fan and we were discussing fans and atmosphere - he is convinced his team has the noisiest fans in Europe. Anyway he says their ultras were working with their club to investigate arranging drone displays - surely this would cost a fortune?

It's a worthwhile debate to be had but the hatred some fans show for one another can be breath-taking - any incidents of that will see you banned.

For what 's worth - I'm for safe pyro on a scale that makes it worthwhile - not individual stragglers doing their own thing.

He was on Twitter the other day asking for people to DM him about stories of pyro that has gone wrong inside a game. I told him to contact the parent of the child badly burnt at Parkhead when a display by the green brigade went wrong

I love the effect of them but do understand the dangers and risks of them in grounds also. Particularly when the use is forced underground as it heightens the risk of injuries.

I was a bit concerned during 55 season when the lads let off the flares from outside the main stand over the roof as the potential for something to land in the wrong place could have been catastrophic

I also think that there is a big difference between a flare and smoke which is very often not understood but of course, if you have respiratory issues and you arearound one in an enclosed space, it can't be pleasant.

This may not go down particularly well, but aside from the UB lighting up the Clyde (I still get goosebumps watching that at 49)…the Legia one is the best I’ve witnessed in person.

If it’s well away from me, I’m all for it. If it’s all around me, different story . Yes, I am a miserable, selfish old git.

The display along the Clyde when we won 55 was absolutely stunning.

Love to see it at games and in displays, but know it can be a right pain when you are right next to it. I am a fan overall though!

Nope, never understood it, even when it's done "well" in a stadium and it's very rare for that to happen in the UK.

Keep it banned.

Back