The Pyro Debate - be aware any demented responses will result in a banning

Amazing how it’s always rangers fans in pictures of media pieces.
Does seem that way .... seems to fans of most clubs are now doing it but the media per usual highlight rangers... if a provincial club does it it's a joyous carnival that creates an atmosphere but if rangers do it it's dangerous....

are there any numbers on how many people have been hurt/injured or even killed by them at football games?

If it looks properly organised and coordinated it looks terrific and adds to the atmosphere. If the authorities feel they can't control something they will always play the public safety card( as far a l know no one has ever died or been injured). And the media and press won't be far behind by having stories of frightened OAPs or women and children fleeing for their lives.

Part of the debate that is getting missed is why is it ok for event organisers to have them for example the pre match flame throwers at the league cup final on the pitch close to fans but not ok for fans to have them?

Just imagine those flame throwers malfunction or wind blows the wrong way and there will be thousands injured with severe burns.

If it’s a ban it should be a total ban and no pyro fireworks etc. allowed.

Some of the pyro displays look brilliant.
I should know better but I wore a Ted Baker jacket to League Cup Final and sleeve got melted with sparks. My initial reaction wasn't about the dangers of Pyros but about the cheap crap material used to make expensive jackets.

As with most things, there is probably a time and a place for it.

In an ideal world such displays would be coordinated between fan groups and the club beforehand. If the people near the pyro don't have an issue with it, the people who are using it know what they're doing and aren't blootered, then I personally don't see a problem with it.

It is as soon as there is a risk to other fans who want nothing to do with it (for whatever reason), pyro becomes a problem IMO.

I've never understood the appeal.
Part of the debate that is getting missed is why is it ok for event organisers to have them for example the pre match flame throwers at the league cup final on the pitch close to fans but not ok for fans to have them?

Just imagine those flame throwers malfunction or wind blows the wrong way and there will be thousands injured with severe burns.

If it’s a ban it should be a total ban and no pyro fireworks etc. allowed.
Come on now, that's not part of the debate.

Experienced professionals putting on risk assessed displays can not be compared to illegal fireworks being set off without permission by fans.

I just don't understand the fascination people have with pyro but that's purely personal. If they have to do it a continental style facilitation is the only answer. Organised, risk assesed, timed.

Like it or not, if someone gets hurt the club could be liable.

I just don't understand the fascination people have with pyro but that's purely personal. If they have to do it a continental style facilitation is the only answer. Organised, risk assesed, timed.

Like it or not, if someone gets hurt the club could be liable.
There is no real facilitation across the continent though. Apart from one or two countries it's used in exactly the same way it is here.

I agree it can look great , but it’s only a matter of time before there is an incident , a fan not associated with those involved in the display being burned , or suffering smoke inhalation etc and then a huge backlash at the club. I think the club should be taking a stance on this and leading the discussion with our fans . We have already received fines from uefa on this if memory serves me right .

There is no real facilitation across the continent though. Apart from one or two countries it's used in exactly the same way it is here.

Yeah, it's just the idea of clubs taking steps to protect themselves that I was meaning.
Not sure I'd trust the club with that all the same!

Yeah, it's just the idea of clubs taking steps to protect themselves that I was meaning.
Not sure I'd trust the club with that all the same!
One argument I hate is "it looks better in (insert Eastern European country)" despite it being the exact same products used. If you like it or think it's acceptable in one place then you must think it the same here.

One argument I hate is "it looks better in (insert Eastern European country)" despite it being the exact same products used. If you like it or think it's acceptable in one place then you must think it the same here.

Probably looks better to some just because of the volume of people involved.

I agree, if you think it's okay for unsanctioned pyro in Poland then the "It doesn't work here" thing falls kinda flat.

Rather sweeping statement there. Taking your view and applying it to the wider support.

I for one really enjoy when the UB have an organised Pyro display. The 15th anniversary one was brilliant and many if not most around me had their phone out videoing, which tells me others like it too.
Yes, granted up to a point, I did a bit. I’ll do a bit of wriggling by way of clarity. I loved the Clyde show and some other large scale displays. What turns me right off, is just random clumps of smoke belching in all directions, just for the sake of it.
No reason to it, we’ve got it, so we’re going to light it, sort of thing.
If we are to have it, let it be organised and meaningful.
Maybe fewer displays and of a higher quality and size on special occasions?

Has anyone ever turned to you and said “When’s the pyro starting?”

I think that's fair.

I'm neither here nor there about the use of pyro, tbh. I've been impressed by some of the displays, and thought others not as impressive.

It's a trend and seems to be a major part in the 'ultras' scene, so will likely continue.

Probably looks better to some just because of the volume of people involved.

I agree, if you think it's okay for unsanctioned pyro in Poland then the "It doesn't work here" thing falls kinda flat.
Well, no actually.
Just because it’s right to do something in one place doesn’t mean it is right somewhere else.
Armed Police in the US is essential due to criminals having guns doesn’t mean we should be arming British police.
On topic, maybe Poland doesn’t have the same approach to health and safety that the UK does.
Maybe Poland doesn’t have the same approach to litigation as in the UK.

Well, no actually.
Just because it’s right to do something in one place doesn’t mean it is right somewhere else.
Armed Police in the US is essential due to criminals having guns doesn’t mean we should be arming British police.
On topic, maybe Poland doesn’t have the same approach to health and safety that the UK does.
Maybe Poland doesn’t have the same approach to litigation as in the UK.
That's not what I'm saying, man. Far from it.

It's the people saying they like but it doesn't fit in with football fan culture here I'm talking about.

Goes to show how dangerous it is but doesn't really show you how it started. Everything can be dangerous in the hands of people with... no sense.

Pyro is good and can add to the atmosphere if done in a coordinated, safe way. Bit of common sense needs to be used however.

Might be easier to ban pyro than make sure nobody acts like a fool, but they will just replace pyro with something else and it'll be a never ending situation. Don't particularly care either way and I'm on no side of it but I do think Pyro will just be replaced with something else equally as dangerous if not worse.

Someone lit some sort of firework thing on Saturday, it shot out green pellets, hit the ceiling of the stand before falling down on someone.

I'm all for pyro but Saturday's attempt was lame AF.

I’d be shocked if some rangers flags haven’t got burn marks on them, I know that people have previously complained about jackets having bomber burns in them. Personally think people holding the pyro should be a row or 2 back from the front to ensure no flags are burnt and give people the heads up so they can move along a bit to avoid any of their clothes getting burnt

I like pyro when it’s done en masse, when it’s just a few smoke bombs scattered about it doesn’t have the same effect

Safe organised pyro I'm fine but can't remember what game it was, a youngster came over from the UB' section, nipped in front of me and my grandson (6) and just let the pyro off under our noses. Never affected anyone that I know off but there's a bit of disregard there for astma and COPD sufferers

I don't think I know what safe pyro is.
I get it's ' safe' but how safe is safe?

I've only ever stood next to a few flares getting left off at Hampden and I struggled with breathing and the sparks managed to burn a hole in my jacket ( not expensive but now in the bin because of it)
And I've see some have jackets ruined by the dye/smoke ( but no idea what kind of flare caused that).

Looks spectacular when you're on the outside looking in mind you.

Someone lit some sort of firework thing on Saturday, it shot out green pellets, hit the ceiling of the stand before falling down on someone.

I'm all for pyro but Saturday's attempt was lame AF.

Like Pyro, but yes, Saturday was a bad effort.

Was fireworks the same as the filth had at the cup final, but letting them off in the upper stand was never going to be a great idea with the roof so close above.

I'd like to see it properly organised on a large scale, much the same as safe standing.
However I don't see either being given the support from either the club or PS.
You can already see by the replies on here that some people have very strong views on it. We're unlikely to see governing bodies take a lead or have a strong opinion on matters that we fans cant agree on.

What is the attraction?

Lights?
Smoke?
Both?

Is a light show possible without the smoke? Not a piggery type thing of course.

I've probably already commented, but im all for it, provided it's used by people that know what they're doing.

It should remain "In house" in our ultra/collective section.

Think the safe organised displays adds to the spectacle, some random guy setting one off though then throwing it on the park is wrong , dont know why they cant provide buckets along the front of the stand or section to dispose of them safely after use , authorities allow shops to sell fireworks every year and kids can easily get a hold of them yet they try crack down on football fans , imo fireworks are more dangerous

I don't think I know what safe pyro is.
I get it's ' safe' but how safe is safe?

I've only ever stood next to a few flares getting left off at Hampden and I struggled with breathing and the sparks managed to burn a hole in my jacket ( not expensive but now in the bin because of it)
And I've see some have jackets ruined by the dye/smoke ( but no idea what kind of flare caused that).

Looks spectacular when you're on the outside looking in mind you.
I think it's a mix of doing it at the front of a stand so it doesn't fall on people or using a thing called 'cold flares'.

They are flares that don't burn hot, as opposed to the normal stuff.

I was in amongst it in the West Stand on Sunday and it was absolutely brilliant. Smiling faces all around and added to the sense of occasion.

Personally I like it. Just my opinion.

It adds atmosphere and looks amazing. There is one club that has had a incident in which a child was badly burned due to their supporters throwing pyro about & that's the scum.. Why was there no massive pyro debate then when this incident happened?

I actually thought that on Sunday, pyro ruined a quite magnificent display,
If you are asthmatic or have other breathing issues, getting caught up in that is no fun.

I wonder how we ever managed so much success for 150 years without unwanted pyro. Get rid and get rid now Rangers.

Love to see it from a distance would hate to be in the middle of it,
Honestly hope it doesn’t come back and bite us on the bum with some serious injuries.

Back