The Rangers Supporters Erskine Appeal 2008 - The Ref and the Iron Men dinner

mdingwall

Administrator
The Rangers Supporters Erskine Appeal 2008 - The Ref and the Iron Men dinner

Doesn’t time fly?

It started as a one-off to raise a few bob and then grew arms and legs.

Tom, Simon (aka Manfromdelmonte) and myself kicked a few ideas around, tried a few different things and then it started to fly. The badges have been a standard of fundraising but it’s become a lot more than that. If memory serves correctly we took in money through the RST accounts for the first wee while.

The first big public events was in the Wee Rangers Club - we entitled it the Ref and the Iron Men - Jeff Winter, Harold Davis and Terry Hurlock provided the entertainment. What a hoot it was.

John Gilligan has been scheduled to MC the event but a death in the family that weekend meant I had to step in.

The first problem was that Simon had taken Terry into hospitality - I’d warned him - “get him to the Wee Rangers sober for a quick run through at 6pm” - the two of them literally poured out of a taxi at 7.45!

It was the first time I had time to have a proper natter with Harold - it was a bit like having a conversation with your grandfather - respectful on my side and wanting to revive words of wisdom from one of the club’s great heroes. Harold would go on to take part in many of the RSEA activities and be reintroduced to a whole new generation of Bears.

Jeff did his routine in inimitable style - authoritative and amusing.

Davie Edgar took charge of the Q&A session - the first question was to Terry who answered in such an impenetrable torrent of Cockney that Davie said “Before we go any further - is there anyone in here who can translate Swahili” ?!

The night sped through which much swapping of stories and taking of photos - and the rest is history!

lUjDyIu.jpg

8ic4tNR.jpg

HMEFQsK.jpg

1BI63eC.jpg

Dr0rTJw.jpg

7FLWD42.jpg

i9zIPs9.jpg

JzE53rr.jpg

Q8rQ5yT.jpg

Tqv9s7Q.jpg

FbfRTJH.jpg

tpk5IMr.jpg

KE3Yvkc.jpg

1tI99Ui.jpg

krICXmt.jpg

Ajy1ddf.jpg

pJhBn8d.jpg

zIc7PiM.jpg

Last edited:
Great night indeed, although p1ssed as a fart Terry was in great form and very approachable afterwards for a natter - his Mrs wasn't best pleased iirc

First time I had met Harry - he ended up a stalwart at our dinners up here
Amazing man and his stories were legendary

JTR was his usual brilliant self.

I had my view obscured though by a big cat loving guy, whatever became of him??

Great night indeed, although p1ssed as a fart Terry was in great form and very approachable afterwards for a natter - his Mrs wasn't best pleased iirc

First time I had met Harry - he ended up a stalwart at our dinners up here
Amazing man and his stories were legendary

JTR was his usual brilliant self.

I had my view obscured though by a big cat loving guy, whatever became of him??

It's been a long road. :)

A few well known faces in there. Good to see Odin winning the raffle againB-D

Brilliant night, especially as I won the framed red and white Dado Prso top in the raffle.
I've still got it.:))

Back