The Rangers XI That You Never Saw

MO_TxTruBlu

A Rangers XI that you never saw, that you wish you had, is a tough one, more so on who you leave out, as to who gets in.

So many wonderful players to choose from, based on folklore, facts and stats,
and for me personally, the toughest one to leave out was probably Alec Smith.
Over 600 games, and 200 Goals from a Left Winger who gave us 21 years of excellent service, but Alan Morton just has to be in there at Outside Left, so I'll refrain from shoehorning Smith into another position.
I'm sure there are a few others that I have overlooked.

Even tougher choices to make, for you younger ones, who weren't around to witness the likes of
Caldow, Baxter, Greig, Jardine, Johnstone etc.

..........................................................Jerry Dawson

...............................George Young......................Jock Drummond

................Davie Meiklejohn.............Willie Woodburn.........Neilly Gibson

........................................Jimmy Fleming.......................Bob McPhail
Sandy Archibald..................................Jimmy Smith...................................Alan Morton

Subs.
Jock Shaw
Tommy Cairns
Kitey McPherson
Willie Waddell
Willie Reid
Willie Thornton
Alec Smith

Jerry Dawson
Nicol Smith
Eric Caldow
Davie Meiklejohn
Willie Woodburn
Jim Baxter*
Willie Waddell
John McPherson
RC Hamilton
Bob McPhail
Alan Morton

Subs
Bobby Brown
George Brown
George Young
Neilly Gibson
Sandy Archibald
Jimmy Millar
Alec Smith

*I saw Baxter when he came back to Rangers, but what I would give to have seen his peak years.

Got my season ticket in 1991 (4 in a row season) when I was 6 so counting players before that as eligible. I had been to a couple of games before then but don't really remember them:

McCloy

Jardine, Forsyth, Greig

Henderson, Souness, Baxter, Cooper

Fleming, DJ, Morton

Attacking team. DJ could cover centre half if required.

McCloy
Jardine Greig Butcher Caldow
Henderson Baxter Souness Cooper
Johnstone McPhail
Got my season ticket in 1991 (4 in a row season) when I was 6 so counting players before that as eligible. I had been to a couple of games before then but don't really remember them:

McCloy

Jardine, Forsyth, Greig

Henderson, Souness, Baxter, Cooper

Fleming, DJ, Morton

Attacking team. DJ could cover centre half if required.

Both good selections, but surprised that you guys can go as far back as McPhail, Fleming, Morton, and yet both of you pick McCloy as your Goalie!

Both good selections, but surprised that you guys can go as far back as McPhail, Fleming, Morton, and yet both of you pick McCloy as your Goalie!
I picked McCloy because to be honest, I don't know many of our GKs pre McCloy and he was part of the 1972 team. In hindsight, Woods may have been a better choice for my GK.

Morton and Fleming for me are two that you always read about from way back, with many saying Morton was world class so would have loved to have seen him.

Fleming is often a goalscorer in the 'on this day' threads on here.

Last edited:
McCloy

Jardine
Butcher
Woodburn
Caldow

Johnston
Greig
Baxter
Cooper

Johnstone
English

I could’ve said Woods because I just missed him but went for McCloy because of 72.

As the other poster said( goalkeepers of the past beyond the late 80s aren’t often discussed.

Bobby Brown

Tiger Shaw
Eric Caldow
Willie Woodburn
Davie Meiklejohn

Ian McMillan
Jimmy Baxter
Sammy Cox

Willie waddell
Colin Stein
Alan Morton

Can’t believe I’ve left out Henderson, Millar , Brand & Wilson , not to mention Willie Thornton , George Young & Ian McColl . I suppose I saw Davie Wilson take penalties at Alan McLarens testimonial.

I thought this thread would bring joy to my heart

A Rangers XI that you never saw, that you wish you had, is a tough one, more so on who you leave out, as to who gets in.

Over 600 games, and 200 Goals from a Left Winger who gave us 21 years of excellent service, but Alan Morton just has to be in there at Outside Left, so I'll refrain from shoehorning Smith into another position.

Even tougher choices to make, for you younger ones, who weren't around to witness the likes of

................Davie Meiklejohn.............Willie Woodburn.........Neilly Gibson

........................................Jimmy Fleming.......................Bob McPhail
Sandy Archibald..................................Jimmy Smith...................................Alan Morton

Subs.
Jock Shaw
Tommy Cairns
Kitey McPherson
Willie Waddell
Willie Reid
Willie Thornton
Alec Smith
Ya wee basturt.....I was snoozing on the couch until this post and now I’m going to be up all night picking my line up

1. Jerry Dawson
2. Nicol Smith
3. Jock Drummond
4. Davie Meiklejohn
5. Willie Woodburn
6. Sammy Cox
7. Willie Waddell
8. Andy Cunningham
9. Willie Thornton
10. Bob McPhail
11. Alan Morton

No subs allowed : if any of the above were injured, a cold sponge and the trainer to confirm that as you are playing for The Rangers, you are still better than the opposition.

Only born in 85 so I never really ‘saw’ or remembered so many amazing players. Always fascinated by the pre and post war teams who have largely been lost to history (lack of video etc). Men like George Young, Willie Woodburn, Alan Morton, Davie Meiklejohn...and then the likes of John Greig, Sandy Jardine and Jim Baxter. Would have loved to have seen Souness and his arrival. Grateful however to have grown up in the NIAR era though.

McCloy
Greig
Young
Shaw
Meiklejohn
Morton
Wilkins
Souness
Baxter
Millar
Brand

Dawson
Shaw Woodburn Young Caldow
Henderson McMillan Baxter
Waddell Thornton Morton

I know that I've got 2 RW's in there but I'd love to see them both play. Alan Morton must have been some player, so gets the nod over Davie Wilson (I've seen him on old footage and he looked very good), just to see Baxter, the Deedle and the wee Blue Devil would be worth a fortune.

Born in 81, started supporting in 92. Took it in like an addiction - always wished I seen at least video footage of the legends pre-60s, 70s. The Willie Woodburn legend always stuck with me, one of our early true greats banished for what in the modern day would've never passed. Could be here all night mentioning players I wished technology allowed us to see, alas not to be. But maybe it's better they are mythological like a great book, idk.

But just before my time? The Barcelona Eleven, for sure.

Dawson
Shaw Woodburn Young Caldow
Henderson McMillan Baxter
Waddell Thornton Morton

I know that I've got 2 RW's in there but I'd love to see them both play. Alan Morton must have been some player, so gets the nod over Davie Wilson (I've seen him on old footage and he looked very good), just to see Baxter, the Deedle and the wee Blue Devil would be worth a fortune.
Waddell is a cert. One of the greatest players, one of the greatest managers. Maybe the greatest if life's service is considered.

Five sleepless nights on this cheers Mo :))
2-3-5
Dawson
Young
Caldow
McColl
Woodburn
Baxter
Archibald
Cunningham
Smith
McPhail
Morton

Toughest for me to leave out both Alec & Nicol Smith, Neilly Gibson, Jimmy Fleming, Meiklejohn, Bobby Brown, Waddell & Thornton but what a subs bench!

At my age I’ve been lucky to fully appreciate the late 50’s and early to mid 60’s teams, the difficult years up to ’75 and the joy of winning at Easter Road. I witnessed the culmination of NIAR seeing Laudrup head the winner. The one team I would have wanted to see would have been the 1928 Cup winning team and its dominance in the ’30s. My auld man saw that team and said Alan Morton was the greatest, but admitted the grace of Slim Jim was something to behold.

In the flesh? I never went to Ibrox till 90’s so missed a lot of the early Souness era players in the flesh. Too easy naming them but going back and players who my Granda, uncles etc. spoke of or who I seen a lot of footage of and loved to wat

Cooper
Baxter
Greig
Jardine
George Young
Jock Shaw
Johnstone
Stein

So many great names associated with the club.

Would have loved to see any teams fielded by the great managers of years gone by as well with Struth, Symon, Wallace all being well before my time.

Love the traditions of our dugout and the pride when we have someone representing us properly from the touchline. Can’t wait to get back to Ibrox.

Subs.
Jock Shaw
Tommy Cairns
Kitey McPherson
Willie Waddell
Willie Reid
Willie Thornton
Alec Smith
That is some team there.
A team for any decade or generation in my opinion.
However, I see you omitted Dougie Gray.
I think Dougie might have made more appearances for the club than any other player if we count his wartime ones as well as those in peacetime.
Dougie's ability to play for a club like Rangers for such a long time and hold down his position must mark him out as a very special individual.
I think Dougie is often forgotten when we remember our greats.

Five sleepless nights on this cheers Mo :))
2-3-5
Dawson
Young
Caldow
McColl
Woodburn
Baxter
Archibald
Cunningham
Smith
McPhail
Morton

Toughest for me to leave out both Alec & Nicol Smith, Neilly Gibson, Jimmy Fleming, Meiklejohn, Bobby Brown, Waddell & Thornton but what a subs bench!
Aye, yer welcome Big Man.
How come you managed to sneak Caldow and Baxter in there?
I thought you were older than me.B-D
You must have been a teenager when you started watching Rangers

Great selection by the way, I see our only differences (apart from Caldow and Baxter, which I am not allowed) is you have McColl instead of Meiklejohn, and Cunningham instead of Fleming.
We could argue both of them forever and a day, and I suspected you might even have favoured a Jimmy Gordon, or a Willie Reid

Aye, yer welcome Big Man.
How come you managed to sneak Caldow and Baxter in there?
I thought you were older than me.B-D
You must have been a teenager when you started watching Rangers

Great selection by the way, I see our only differences (apart from Caldow and Baxter, which I am not allowed) is you have McColl instead of Meiklejohn, and Cunningham instead of Fleming.
We could argue both of them forever and a day, and I suspected you might even have favoured a Jimmy Gordon, or a Willie Reid
You are mistaken auld yin, I believe you arrived about 6 weeks before me, twins yes - identical no!

You are correct about Reid & Gordon, as William Allison stated 'Willie Reid was the forward with dynamite in his boots', 260 games and 224 goals and Jimmy Gordon , 388 games 79 goals was described by none other than William Struth as 'the greatest Ranger who ever lived'. Normally a half back Gordon played in every position for Rangers including once in goal, the DJ of his day!:cool:

I'll go for these guys. Apart from Greig I didn't see any of them playing, but the team below including 2 or 3 who are not listed is arguably the most talented team that we have put on a pitch, and they are all Scottish. You could say that about 5 of them from the team below were probably the best players in their positions in Europe for a time.

Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McLean, Millar, Brand, Wilson.

I have all of their autographs in framed photos, and I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of them over the years and have never been disappointed.

No favourites, but let's just say Eric Caldow was an absolute gentleman and Davie Wilson still is.

I'll go for these guys. Apart from Greig I didn't see any of them playing, but the team below including 2 or 3 who are not listed is arguably the most talented team that we have put on a pitch, and they are all Scottish. You could say that about 5 of them from the team below were probably the best players in their positions in Europe for a time.

Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McLean, Millar, Brand, Wilson.

I have all of their autographs in framed photos, and I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of them over the years and have never been disappointed.

No favourites, but let's just say Eric Caldow was an absolute gentleman and Davie Wilson still is.
Like you the only player from this group that I saw was Greig and I would go with the same team with the exception of MacMillan in place of McLean.

When you speak to people who followed Rangers in the 60’s they can still recite the team which shows the regard they were held and probably the fact that the team was the same every week.

Like you the only player from this group that I saw was Greig and I would go with the same team with the exception of MacMillan in place of McLean.

When you speak to people who followed Rangers in the 60’s they can still recite the team which shows the regard they were held and probably the fact that the team was the same every week.
Yes McMillan for McLean, McLean was one of a number of players in the 60's with Rangers who had a fantastic goals ratio but a relatively short first team career.

McLean if I recall correctly played in that team as an Inside Right around 1963. Apart from McMillan for McLean, Provan replaced Caldow when injured and Niven could go between the sticks instead of Ritchie, but what a team.

I remember years ago my dad and uncle saw Jimmy Millar in the Lounge of a pub speaking to Jim Baxter, who they knew, but were completely awe struck that Millar was there, he seemed to be like a god to Rangers fans from the 60's.

I asked my dad why he held Millar in such high regard, and he said, "Son, he was often exceptional, but he never ever had a bad game".

You'd be surprised, that famous team that we all can recite, I think only played around 6 games together.
It was of course the nucleus of the the team, but Caldow breaking a leg in April 63', brought Provan into the side, Millar being injured at the start of the 63-64 campaign, saw Jim Forrest get his chance.
McMillan probably only played half the games between 62-64, with Greig stepping in initially (Davis at Right Half), before Greig moved back to Right Half, then George McLean got that slot.
The players who played the most games in that 63-64 Treble campaign were
Ritchie Shearer Provan Greig McKinnon Baxter Henderson McLean Forrest Brand Wilson
Davy Wilson missed a chunk of the season with a broken ankle, but still got in there with 30 appearances.
Jimmy Millar had 29, and Ian McMillan 14 appearances.

Yes McMillan for McLean, McLean was one of a number of players in the 60's with Rangers who had a fantastic goals ratio but a relatively short first team career.

McLean if I recall correctly played in that team as an Inside Right around 1963. Apart from McMillan for McLean, Provan replaced Caldow when injured and Niven could go between the sticks instead of Ritchie, but what a team.

I remember years ago my dad and uncle saw Jimmy Millar in the Lounge of a pub speaking to Jim Baxter, who they knew, but were completely awe struck that Millar was there, he seemed to be like a god to Rangers fans from the 60's.

I asked my dad why he held Millar in such high regard, and he said, "Son, he was often exceptional, but he never ever had a bad game".
I was too young to appreciate Jimmy Millar in his prime as our Centre Forward from 59-63, when he scored 134 Goals in 4 seasons, but as you say, you ask anyone who was fortunate enough to watch that Rangers team of the early sixties, and everyone of them has Millar down as a hero.
We had World Class players in Baxter and Henderson. and every other player in that team was an International, but Jimmy Millar was the one player that everybody loved.
His career looked to be winding down somewhat following his injury in 63', and the emergence of teenage Goalscoring sensation Jim Forrest, but Millar still had a part to play, be it as an Inside Forward or even as a Half Back.
The 65-66 Campaign saw the emergence of Jock Stein's Celtic, and looked to be the end of Millar's career at Ibrox, as he featured in only 1 game in our first 37 games that season,
as Celtic won the League Cup, and were favourites to go on to lift the Treble, after they had hammered us 5-1 in the ne'erday derby. (they had not won a League Title in 12 years).
Following a 2-3 defeat at Falkirk in March, which saw Celtic climb to the top of the table, Jimmy Millar was recalled to the side.
Millar would play in our final 14 games that season, the last 10 as a Half Back (the position he originally was, when we signed him more than a decade earlier).
We met Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final, and it ended 0-0, with Millar being the star man for Rangers. The replay Rangers won 1-0 with that Kai Johansen special, and again Millar was the outstanding player on the field.
That was to be the only Trophy Rangers collected in the 6 years between the League Cup in 64 and 70.
I believe this was the 11th domestic Cup Final that Jimmy Millar played in, and never once on the losing side.

You'd be surprised, that famous team that we all can recite, I think only played around 6 games together.
It was of course the nucleus of the the team, but Caldow breaking a leg in April 63', brought Provan into the side, Millar being injured at the start of the 63-64 campaign, saw Jim Forrest get his chance.
McMillan probably only played half the games between 62-64, with Greig stepping in initially (Davis at Right Half), before Greig moved back to Right Half, then George McLean got that slot.
The players who played the most games in that 63-64 Treble campaign were
Ritchie Shearer Provan Greig McKinnon Baxter Henderson McLean Forrest Brand Wilson
Davy Wilson missed a chunk of the season with a broken ankle, but still got in there with 30 appearances.
Jimmy Millar had 29, and Ian McMillan 14 appearances.
Thanks for the info I didn’t know that. The fact that the team was recited so easily by my Rangers supporting relatives and others on the forum made me think that they must have played together for years.

Why do you think that team is so frequently quoted.

1. Jerry Dawson
2. Nicol Smith
3. Jock Drummond
4. Davie Meiklejohn
5. Willie Woodburn
6. Sammy Cox
7. Willie Waddell
8. Andy Cunningham
9. Willie Thornton
10. Bob McPhail
11. Alan Morton

No subs allowed : if any of the above were injured, a cold sponge and the trainer to confirm that as you are playing for The Rangers, you are still better than the opposition.
What a team that would be,

Years ago there was a montage of Manchester United players playing in the same team. Back then I thought I would love to see that done for Rangers. Any wizards out there up to the challenge?

Thanks for the info I didn’t know that. The fact that the team was recited so easily by my Rangers supporting relatives and others on the forum made me think that they must have played together for years.

Why do you think that team is so frequently quoted.
Because it was a fantastic XI, and that XI was the team that most people would choose to represent us from that period.
The early 60's saw a pretty settled XI of
Niven Shearer Caldow Davis Paterson Baxter Scott McMillan Millar Brand Wilson
That XI is quite often recited by those a little older.
That line up actually remained unchanged for 16 consecutive games between the end of October until January 61'.
Billy Ritchie had started that season as first choice keeper, but injury in Oct kept him out until March.
1961 saw the emergence of three wonderful young footballers, who would all go on to become Legends of our Club.
Willie Henderson, a 17 year old winger who banished Scotland's Outside Right, to Rangers Reserves.
An 18 year old John Greig, and a 20 year old Ronnie McKinnon, who would go on to make more appearances for Rangers in the 1960's, than any other.
These three would replace Davis, Paterson and Scott, and that was basically the side that won the hearts of a generation.
Ritchie Shearer Caldow Greig McKinnon Baxter Henderson McMillan Millar Brand Wilson

I'd love to see a Rangers team with The Deedle on one wing and Alan Morton on the other.

This may put to bed a long-running argument between my auld man and my grandfather.

Dawson
Shaw Shearer Woodburn Meiklejohn Cox
Waddell Morton English Thornton Fleming
No idea of what formation but I want them all in
Easy formation 2-3-5, fits perfectly, and a damn good XI you choose
..................................Dawson
.............. Shearer................... Shaw
...........Meiklejohn...Woodburn.....Cox
Waddell...Fleming...English...Thornton...Morton

Big George before the Wee Prime Minister ?

I was about to pick this team, but with Ian McMillan inside right.

It was my dads favourite ever Rangers team BSG.

I'd love to see a Rangers team with The Deedle on one wing and Alan Morton on the other.

This may put to bed a long-running argument between my auld man and my grandfather.

Id loved to have seen us with Jardine & Caldow as our full backs CC.

I saw Sandy’s career more or less, as I started watching in 1969, but Caldow on the other side sounds delicious.

One thing that this thread proves is that our Club has had an almost unbelievable level of talent throughout it's history. As the song says...'There's not a team like the Glasgow Rangers, No not one'.

Back