The referee Bob Valentine

He also deliberately ignored Mowbray running off the park after equalising that day. Mowbray had already been booked.

And we should remember, Mo Johnston was booked for the exact same behaviour 14 months previously at Ibrox.

Says it all really.

That roar at the Mojo goal was up there with King Richards goal in the 2.2 game. :D

Archie McPherson came out in his column in the Sunday Mail in 1992 and said the ref was correct not to give Mowbray a second yellow card as it would have caused a riot.

So here we had one of the so called top pundit's admitting you shouldn't referee the filth to the same standards as anyone else, in case you upset their fans.
No player should get booked for celebrating a goal other than taking their shirt off whether it was today or 30 years ago. Mo shouldn’t have been booked that day either, I remember Sutton scoring at Ibrox and ran right down the track infront of the West enclosure to the half way line and back on the park and nothing was done by the Ref, I wanted to boot his fanny in but not booked.

No player should get booked for celebrating a goal other than taking their shirt off whether it was today or 30 years ago. Mo shouldn’t have been booked that day either, I remember Sutton scoring at Ibrox and ran right down the track infront of the West enclosure to the half way line and back on the park and nothing was done by the Ref, I wanted to boot his fanny in but not booked.

I agree with you, BUT, if it is okay to 'book' a Rangers player for leaving the pitch, then it has to be okay to book opponents for doing same.

And it was a Rangers player, Derek Parlane, who was first cautioned for running off the park after scoring a goal.

No surprises there.

I agree with you, BUT, if it is okay to 'book' a Rangers player for leaving the pitch, then it has to be okay to book opponents for doing same.

And it was a Rangers player, Derek Parlane, who was first cautioned for running off the park after scoring a goal.

No surprises there.
I agree that if the most stupid rule ever thought out is to be implemented then of course it should be over the board.

It was brought in to stop crazy Italians climbing up 30ft fences after jumping over Four lines of bill boards but was used else where when there was never a need to have it in the first place now we’re stuck with it.

Since it's now well into the conspiracy season might be good for some of the younger bears to read through some of the awful decisions that have cost us through the years.
It's amazing how many decisions are easily overlooked when mouthing the oft repeated mantra of yous huve been cheating us for 50 years
Our biggest problem much like defending ourselves against the many haters out there is we are too often on the back foot

No surprises there.
Ayr United at Hampden in the Scottish Cup 1973.

First Rangers game my dad took me to at Hampden and I still remember the fan reaction round me when Parlane got booked.

No surprises there.
League Cup semi final v Ayr United.
Bob valentine. Better known as boob Vatican. But waddell wos worse.

That's the thing. I can remember Colin Stein having a goal disallowed against them at Ibrox in September 1971, and the ref was John Paterson.

Yet I can't remember the instances you state at a game I actually attended.

I think the words; 'getting old' sums it up.
As a matter if interest, the funeral of John Patterson was held in Bothwell recently, and was very well attended at Bothwell Parish Church.

I’m pretty sure he was the ref that abandoned a Hibs v celtc game on 87 mins because of fog with hibs 2-1 up in the late 70’s/ early 80’s.
Celtc won the replay......maybe someone can confirm?
I think it was 2-0 to Hibs and he abandoned the match after 85mins at P.Head due to fog.The Tim’s won the replay.Think we lost the league by a point that season when it was 2points for a win.

How bad was he? He was generally regarded as the top ref in this country.

His last game in the 89 cup final was an absolute disgrace, I was browsing Youtube and saw some highlights of this, a catalogue of errors against us culminating in a wrongly disallowed goal which would have been a late equaliser.

I also saw a clip of Cooper scoring direct from a corner at the Piggery in 87, Bonner flapped with no Ranger near him and incredibly Valentine blew for a foul.

Don't forget that the mentally challengeds stole the throw in that lead to the goal in '89, it was our throw.

Ayr United at Hampden in the Scottish Cup 1973.

First Rangers game my dad took me to at Hampden and I still remember the fan reaction round me when Parlane got booked.

A game I have fond memories of.

Was only 11 at the time and my best pal and I lied to our parents that we were going to each other house but instead we sneaked of to Hampden ourselves. Unfortunately after the game we got on the wrong bus and didn't get home till after midnight - you can imagine the trouble we got into.

Still remember that booking for Parlane, who also scored both our goals that day.

It's a measure of how blatantly anti Rangers he was that his name crops up here every 6 months or so.

Back