The Restoration of Rangers Graves Project Remembers The 66. George Findlay.

The Moonlighter

George Findlay didn’t return home from Ibrox on the 2nd January 1971.

He was only 21.

dzcayc.jpg

It was friend of the project Ian McLeod Milne who put me in touch with George Findlay’s son Stephen whom I had the pleasure of meeting .

Stephen wasn’t even a year old on the day that the tragedy at Ibrox occurred. He never got to know his dad.

He told me the heart breaking story of how his uncle Ralph bought his brother George the ticket for the match as he was so keen to see the Rangers take on Celtic.

George Findlay tragically lost his life that fateful day and was laid to rest in the family plot at Riddrie Cemetery in Glasgow.

Stephen and his family reckon that through time original the stone had been damaged and was cleared , subsequently the plot lay unmarked for many years.

Over the last three years the Restoration of Rangers Graves Project has received many donations and this allowed us yesterday to place a new stone at the final resting place of a fellow supporter taken in such tragic circumstances.

Today we remember George Findlay.

5zic1w.jpg

If you’d like to donate to The Restoration of Rangers Graves Project please use the link here on our website.

https://www.thefounderstrail.co.uk/the-restoration-of-rangers-graves

Such a tragedy for this young man and many others on that fateful day. Well done on this fantastic restoration i will certainly be making a donation.

I used to go to school with George, we lived in Parson St Toonheid, we went to City Public, our Tech place was Kennedy St, which had a brilliant playground for football. He had a brilliant shot on him, everyone wanted him on their sides, it was like an Ian Ferguson shot. During the Summers, round our back court, we played bat rounders, yet again he had a great eye coordination, and you knew you were on a winner. When the old Toonheid was getting pulled down lost touch we got shunted up to Craighouse St Ruchazie. I was at the Game walked by not knowing a thing from the old Coo Shed later wondered if it was George to find out it was, sad.

I used to go to school with George, we lived in Parson St Toonheid, we went to City Public, our Tech place was Kennedy St, which had a brilliant playground for football. He had a brilliant shot on him, everyone wanted him on their sides, it was like an Ian Ferguson shot. During the Summers, round our back court, we played bat rounders, yet again he had a great eye coordination, and you knew you were on a winner. When the old Toonheid was getting pulled down lost touch we got shunted up to Craighouse St Ruchazie. I was at the Game walked by not knowing a thing from the old Coo Shed later wondered if it was George to find out it was, sad.
Thanks for sharing that today.

George Findlay didn’t return home from Ibrox on the 2nd January 1971.

He was only 21.

dzcayc.jpg

It was friend of the project Ian McLeod Milne who put me in touch with George Findlay’s son Stephen whom I had the pleasure of meeting .

Stephen wasn’t even a year old on the day that the tragedy at Ibrox occurred. He never got to know his dad.

He told me the heart breaking story of how his uncle Ralph bought his brother George the ticket for the match as he was so keen to see the Rangers take on Celtic.

George Findlay tragically lost his life that fateful day and was laid to rest in the family plot at Riddrie Cemetery in Glasgow.

Stephen and his family reckon that through time original the stone had been damaged and was cleared , subsequently the plot lay unmarked for many years.

Over the last three years the Restoration of Rangers Graves Project has received many donations and this allowed us yesterday to place a new stone at the final resting place of a fellow supporter taken in such tragic circumstances.

Today we remember George Findlay.

5zic1w.jpg

If you’d like to donate to The Restoration of Rangers Graves Project please use the link here on our website.

https://www.thefounderstrail.co.uk/the-restoration-of-rangers-graves
Excellent work, you do a great service to our fans

Another well done. You never cease to amaze us.

Such a shame that the cemetery looks, in the photo, like a field in the country. :(

Another well done. You never cease to amaze us.

Such a shame that the cemetery looks, in the photo, like a field in the country. :(

George Findlay's plot sits in between two condemned areas of the cemetery which sadly have suffered from subsidence etc.

We were fortunate to be able to put in a foundation for the new stone.

Is it just Glasgow that allows grave yards to be run down, on the Founders trip to Roseneath, the grave yards were kept in good condition. Craigton is another disgrace, GCC must waste so much money, and it’s a disgrace how they allow the last resting places to go into decline.

Back