The Restoration Project Needs Your Help. Saturday 22nd August Craigton Cemetery Glasgow 12pm.

The Moonlighter

We recently located the final resting place of Rangers Chairman Joseph Buchanan at Craigton Cemetery. Unfortunately the stone is off its plinth and is lying in the middle of what can best be described as a jungle,this is where you can help.

We need a few Bears with gardening equipment to cut everything back to allow our guy to get his lifting equipment in to get the stone back on its plinth.

We’ll be meeting at the Paisley Road West entrance to Craigton Cemetery at 12pm on Saturday 22nd August. Once the work is complete we’ll take everyone on a tour of the other Rangers plots at Craigton,we’ll then retire to the Louden for a couple of cold drinks and watch the Rangers thump Kilmarnock, kick off is 3pm.

If you can help us please send an email to thefounderstrail@gmail.com or phone 0790 2855536.

Iain and Gordon.

Craigton cemetery is an utter disgrace.
I have been down a few times thinking about tidying mum and dads grave up.
Not doing it in this present climate, it would stand out to much against the mess that is all around.
They used to bring in the bad boys to cut and tidy the grass ( if I was down when they were there they got a few beers) and so many headstones were lifted and sorted.
Its been left now in a hell of a state, don't see it being back to anything decent anytime soon.
Oh, and the bit at the crematorium is immaculate. :(

I'm sure you are aware OP that the reason so many headstones are removed from their plinths in Cardonald Cemetery is that GCC council carried this out after the death of a young boy who was tragically crushed when playing in the grounds.
Hopefully this won't hinder your magnificent efforts. I'm local and during lockdown my daily exercise walk I occasionally took the opportunity to put flowers on Mr Struths grave as so many couldn't manage. Especially so many Bears who would have done the Founders Trail.
Depending on personal circumstances I will try to make it along although my contribution will be hampered by health issues. Would supplying sandwiches and drinks help?

Craigton cemetery is an utter disgrace.
I have been down a few times thinking about tidying mum and dads grave up.
Not doing it in this present climate, it would stand out to much against the mess that is all around.
They used to bring in the bad boys to cut and tidy the grass ( if I was down when they were there they got a few beers) and so many headstones were lifted and sorted.
Its been left now in a hell of a state, don't see it being back to anything decent anytime soon.
Oh, and the bit at the crematorium is immaculate. :(
They’re detailed to concentrate on the area around the crematorium.

We’ll continue to restore our plots, it does make a difference.

I'm sure you are aware OP that the reason so many headstones are removed from their plinths in Cardonald Cemetery is that GCC council carried this out after the death of a young boy who was tragically crushed when playing in the grounds.
Hopefully this won't hinder your magnificent efforts. I'm local and during lockdown my daily exercise walk I occasionally took the opportunity to put flowers on Mr Struths grave as so many couldn't manage. Especially so many Bears who would have done the Founders Trail.
Depending on personal circumstances I will try to make it along although my contribution will be hampered by health issues. Would supplying sandwiches and drinks help?
Yeah we are aware that’s the reason its in such a mess but we will continue to restore our Rangers plots when we find them.

Drinks and sandwiches would be greatly appreciated!

I know that.
Sorry, was just letting off steam. :(
And keep going with the great work you are doing.
It is sad to see it in such a mess but we’re all helping to tidy it up a bit with the Restoration Project and that’s only possible because of the donations that have come in from our fellow Rangers supporters.

Without trying to derail the thread any further, it has to be remembered it's not the councils fault the graveyard is in such a poor state. It was in a horrendus condition when they acquired it from private owners and, although it may be hard to believe, they've actually improved it.

I used to play in Craigton Cemetery 50 years ago and it was a disgrace then. Think it might have been in private ownership then.

from the day the accident happened there has been signage up warning of the dangers of playing in graveyards but the one above is not down to the corporate vandalism we see across this city, since GCC tool over our graveyards they have been left to nature and neds with no upkeep unlike across the city where they claim the diocese looks after their own

As has been said above, GCC toppled any stone that was not 200% secure. They then "attempted to contact the plot owners to tell them" so they could sort them.

2 of my cousins went to lay flowers on their mother's grave at Eastwood Cemetery and were most distressed to see the stone lying on its back. It was relatively new and, according to one cousin, you would have needed a battering ram to topple it over. The council had not contacted them despite their records being fairly up to date!

We all had to pay over £200 to fix it.

Back