The return of Kent and JJ

I think Jones has a lot to do to get back in. Gerrard is ruthless and won’t easily select him back in the side. He’s dropped from the European squad remember.
Gerrards not ruthless or he would have dropped Ojo and Tav by now I think he's the opposite and favours certain players even when they are letting the team down..

to be fair Jack has covered Tav very well this season. The goals conceded due to Tav have been errors rather than “poor defending” if you get me?

Exactly. He has had some moments of madness. We need to get to the bottom of why they are happening.

Our issue is leaking daft goals.

On Sunday we leaked one silly goal early doors.

We had ample time to rectify the problem and the lack of scoring opportunities was the issue for me. No pressure or real threat between the posts.

There's no balance with both Kent and JJ behind Morelos, both are wingers. I think you need one of them playing with either Stewart or Arfield. We still play a 4-3-2-1, not a 4-2-3-1.

Kent is perfectly comfortable playing as an inside forward rather than an out and out winger.

Yes @Gallant_Few!!

Positive thread and I 100% agree

Both will bring a totally different dynamic when we attack

FWIW

Mcgregor

Tav (c) ;)
Goldson
Katic
Barisic

Jack
Davis

Jones
Aribo
Kent

Morelos

Granted Helander or edmundson at CH as it’s quite difficult to pick a settled partnership based on what I’ve seen of the latter

This team every day of the week! Maybe swap a centre half for edmundson tho but this team is a strong team

Only worry is arfield won’t get dropped.

Kent is perfectly comfortable playing as an inside forward rather than an out and out winger.
I don't agree. It's about the qualities he possesses in comparison to Stewart and Arfield. Both Stewart and Arfield are visibly more comfortable and natural receiving the ball to feet with their back to goal and playing one/two touch football through the middle. They also possess the vision to play through balls, something I've never seen from Kent. When Kent plays in the middle his style of play remains that of a winger because that is just the player he is so I think you need someone who is natural in the middle to play alongside him.

We are forgetting both JJ and Kent like to play on the left wing so that might be a problem if one has to play right wing.

I thought Jamie Murphy looked good in his cameo against Hamilton and I reckon he can offer more then JJ when fully fit. Albeit he also likes to play off the left flank!

I don't agree. It's about the qualities he possesses in comparison to Stewart and Arfield. Both Stewart and Arfield are visibly more comfortable and natural receiving the ball to feet with their back to goal and playing one/two touch football through the middle. They also possess the vision to play through balls, something I've never seen from Kent. When Kent plays in the middle his style of play remains that of a winger because that is just the player he is so I think you need someone who is natural in the middle to play alongside him.

I would advise you to go back and watch the game at The Piggery in March again. When we were down to 10, Kent went into a central role and terrified them everytime he got on the ball.

I think Jones has a lot to do to get back in. Gerrard is ruthless and won’t easily select him back in the side. He’s dropped from the European squad remember.

Ruthless you say. Tav Goldson and Ojo have been pretty shit most of season and Stevie plays favourites with them. I'd go as far as to say Liverpool must have penalty clauses regards Ojo.

Gerrards not ruthless or he would have dropped Ojo and Tav by now I think he's the opposite and favours certain players even when they are letting the team down..

He’s ruthless when you step out of line. We’ve seen it quite a few times and Kamara said it in his RTV interview. A poor performance is very different to coming on, booting a guy, getting sent off and injuring yourself for 2 months.

He’s ruthless when you step out of line. We’ve seen it quite a few times and Kamara said it in his RTV interview. A poor performance is very different to coming on, booting a guy, getting sent off and injuring yourself for 2 months.
I just do not see it at all for me Gerrards problem is he's not tough enough.

Having Kent back in the squad is a massive boost. He can unlock any team we're likely to come up against. Got to admit, was a bit nervous about him coming on during the game on Sunday but he looked fine.

A big player for us. Jordan Jones can also be a big player.

Jack and Kent are the players we need fit and firing the most just now I reckon.
Jones has still to convince many,but Stewart can probably feel a little hard done by for not playing more minutes against Hertz I’d have thought as he’s done well for us when given the chance.

I would advise you to go back and watch the game at The Piggery in March again. When we were down to 10, Kent went into a central role and terrified them everytime he got on the ball.
This is very true

Also the 2-4 win v the sheep he was playing right across the forward line and causing havoc

It's very well saying Kent has put in a good performance playing more centrally before but what did he do well? Dribbling. Kent is not a natrual playing centrally and you need someone who is for everything else that's required there.

You could refer to the last 7 games of last season and compare the performances of Kent and Arfield. Kent's contribution is always his dribbling. The vast majority of our play went through Arfield, he was the one who could take the ball to feet and link up the play because he's natural in the middle. Kent didn't score or pick up any assists in the 5 games he featured in after the formation switch, Arfield played in 6 and scored 5.

My point is simply that our formation doesn't work with two wingers playing centrally, you need a player with guile who can link up the play. I'd suggest that this is Gerrard's view given he has avoided playing two wingers in those positions almost entirely since we switched formation. In fact any time we have played with two wingers I think we switched formation altogether.

This is very true

Also the 2-4 win v the sheep he was playing right across the forward line and causing havoc
What we're debating is whether you can go with 2 wingers in a 4-3-2-1 though, and by extension whether Kent is a natural playing centrally. Just because he can have a good game dribbling through the middle it doesn't make him a natural playing centrally. Neil McCann could have had good games running through the middle too. The simple point I'm making is that when playing the 4-3-2-1 the team needs a natural central player with Kent/Jones behind the striker like Arfield or Stewart.

Kent is imo going to take until the winter break to get unto his stride
He’s had no competitive football since what? May? and an injury as well which can stop momentum

jones could also be a wee while to get upto speed too.
Both add much needed threat to us going forward though.
Gerrard said Jones is not near ready yet and agree on Kent I was really surprised when Gerrard had him on the bench and used him as the first sub in a difficult away game.

Gerrard said Jones is not near ready yet and agree on Kent I was really surprised when Gerrard had him on the bench and used him as the first sub in a difficult away game.

People need to reign in their expectations a bit, Kent has become Messi since last season. He’s a good player, but needs games and needs to hit the ground running as well thanks to the price on his transfer.
Jones was starting to stake a claim, then a stupid decision cost him not only a red card & rebuke from Gerrard but also a lengthy injury

I fee we had too many in the team on Sunday who had a busy international break and it didn’t work

Kent and Jones are exactly what we need, players who will run at the opposition and take them on.
We were severely lacking that on Sunday, although Kent did it in the time he was on.
I would really like to see Aribo run at players too, in a more advanced position.

Back