The Rhebel Hotline - Page 67

Apparently everyone's favourite old pish-stained confused Yahoo has phoned the Hotline to discuss - yes, you guessed it - Rangers!

THE first call is the deepest. But I don’t want to talk about it.

Oh who am I kidding? I was only joking.

Let’s face it, it’s not every day you just happen to pick up the Daily Record bat-phone and hear Rod Stewart going full Celtic Da on the other end of the line.

Well, you know what they say, some guys have all the luck.

And so it came to pass that this morning football’s favourite Hotline just happened to take arguably its greatest ever call from a Knight of the Realm, Grammy Award winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer.

Calling from his holiday home in England shortly before boarding a private jet for a gig in Aberdeen, the great man said: “I read the Record every day. If I can’t get the paper then I catch up on line and this morning I saw a story about some chart which ranks the most successful football teams in the world.

“The guy who wrote it said that Rangers were far ahead of Celtic. But when I looked up the chart this morning it was the other way around.

“It starts off with the likes of Manchester City and Barcelona and then all the way down it’s got Celtic and Rangers. But, in actual fact, Celtic are above Rangers.

"Now, how they work out this chart I don’t know. It’s all bulls***.

“But I just thought there was a little error there that I would like to correct on behalf of Celtic!”

(Image: Getty)
OK, some quick housekeeping at this point.

Turns out both Rod and the Record on-line team were actually correct. At the time of publication - on Monday afternoon - Rangers did top their old rivals in the latest Global Club Soccer Rankings, released ahead of the new domestic campaign.

But those positions flipped overnight - leaving Rod as mystified as us as the countdown to the new season.

What a palaver. This old heart of mine can hardly cope with the excitement.

Rod went on: “I must say, I’m looking forward to the challenge next year. Rangers seem to have about 200 players and I don’t know how they’re going to boil them down to 11.

“But I’m certainly looking forward to the challenge next year from Rangers. It’s good for the Rangers supporters. It’s wonderful to have this level of excitement and competition again.

“Now I need to leave for a concert in Aberdeen in a couple of hours where I’m told it’s p*****g down with rain!”

Ah, Rod Stewart, uber Sellik fan. Years ago he goes into a bar in Monaco. Hears two Scottish guys at the bar. Says hi, where you from ? talks for a few minutes then tells them he's a big Sellik fan. One guy introduces him and his pal who is Harry Hood. Blank look from Rod. The ex Celtic player, says the guy to Rod. Oh right, says the bold Rod, a guy who admits he became a Celtic fan when he met Dogleish etc. The bold Rod was 28 at the time.

I didn't know Keith Jackson did the hotline???? Was this because Rhod was on the old dog and bone?

Apparently, Morelos had his best game in a Rangers jersey on Sunday? There was me thinking that if Gerrard said that about anyone, it was the man who scored 2 first half goals.

Surely the bog brained Murphys don’t fall for this Rod Stewart tosh? Guys probably worth hundreds of millions - how much of it has he invested in his beloved team? Answer: hee-haw. Yet another chancer playing them like a fiddle to boost his own profile. A megabucks ill Phil in other words.

Nice to see they've reacted well to Mowbray's comments, the fear is real and they're not used to one of their own breaking ranks and talking up Rangers

‘I will be gutted if we don’t do at least 15 in a row’

The sheer arrogance. Us winning the league, when we do, will destroy a lot of them.

Why is it every celtc fan talks about 10 in a row they have 8 going for 9 or is that just a given? Refs in pocket, sportscene trial week by week. Can’t wait to shut them up.

I like James Robertson’s idea about the court battles and disrepute.
How far do you want to take this, James?

Back