The Road to Manchester. Thank you Walter

I have had the pleasure of being on every journey for the 21 trophies he brought to our Club, but my greatest memory is taking us to Manchester, I was only 14 when we won the Cup Winners Cup. Waving my scarf out my bedroom windae giving it Laldy, never in my dreams did I believe I would get the chance to see My team play in another European final. Thanks to the Gaffer and his team i was in tears as the team walked out in Manchester.

there must be clearer hd footage than that

the sentiment is clear

I have had the pleasure of being on every journey for the 21 trophies he brought to our Club, but my greatest memory is taking us to Manchester, I was only 14 when we won the Cup Winners Cup. Waving my scarf out my bedroom windae giving it Laldy, never in my dreams did I believe I would get the chance to see My team play in another European final. Thanks to the Gaffer and his team i was in tears as the team walked out in Manchester.
As it happens the final was a bit of an anti-climax and don’t think I’ve watched it since but I regularly watch Nacho’s pen against Florentina to get us there. Goosebumps every time and will be even more emotional now watching the reactions of Sir Walter and Super Ally, unbridled joy from pure Rangers men.

That drive down to Manchester and seeing all the flags and banners all the way down the road will live with me forever and Walter made that happen

Incredible to think that reaching a European final with a Scottish club was only a small chapter in the great man's career.
There's nothing I can say that's not already been said on this the saddest of days, other than remind everyone how fortunate we all were to live through Walter Smiths time at the helm of our great institution.

Gone but not forgotten Gaffer. How could we when you left us so many wonderful memories!

I’m glad he took my teenage know-it-all 1998 “Smith can’t do Europe, he needs to go, tactically clueless” and rammed it all the way down my stupid fucking throat.
Yip I feel ashamed to admit I had that same niave teenage mentality.

It was only then when you saw Advocaats inability to create a harmonious team environment and spirit for anything more than a couple of seasons that you realised Walter's complete package was immense.

When he came round 2nd time I had such an appreciation the importance of stability and happiness within a football club.

For me this was his greatest managerial accomplishment. I never thought I would live to see us in a European final. That was an amazing achievement for a team put together on a relatively small budget.

Thankyou for Manchester but to me you achieved so much moreinthe eor.d of football, I have a very proud nephew who you presented with s trophy as the most improve player. Thankyou ROP Walter

As i have said on here before, when Nacho scored i stood outside my door and just roared into the night.
If any of my neighbours were unsure of my loyalties they were left in no doubt at that time.

Thanks for posting that OP brought back some incredible memories and had tears in my eyes watching that. Thank you Walter and today I have lost another of my heroes.

I’m glad he took my teenage know-it-all 1998 “Smith can’t do Europe, he needs to go, tactically clueless” and rammed it all the way down my stupid fucking throat.
Sadly there were many people who were older than you and should have known better who were making similar noises re him needing to move on because we weren't winning the CL back then. I truly believe that if we - as a support - had been more content with 'just' winning the league, he would have got many more than 10IAR!!!!
We are our own worst enemies sometimes.

I got my Daughter a season ticket when Walter came back after the Le Guen experiment and I'm proud she has so many life-long and astonishing memories to cherish for the rest of her life, all thanks to Walter. We had great times together home & away. She's in bits today :(

Another great memory that sir Walter brought us

Words can’t explain Walter Smith, not today anyway

Brilliant memories.
I was out on a works function the night we thrashed Lyon... a colleague kept giving me score updates and I didn't believe him!

I wonder who Walter is waving to in the crowd after the Nacho penalty?

As a lad, I was used to us being every few years in a European final in the ’60’s and early 70’s. Winning the ECWC left most of the support feeling we’ll do it again soon. In ’78, we defeated Juventus, then PSV in the European Cup and most of us dreamed that it would be our year. Not to be. Fast forward to 92/93, Leeds, Marseille and Walter had us on the brink of another final, most probably robbed of that chance through, in my opinion, the alledged corruption and bribery scandal surrounding Marseille.

So, for Walter to take us to another European Final in 2008 was truly what our best dreams are made of. I have never witnessed another city being taken over like it was in Manchester. I’ve never ever seen such scenes in Glasgow. One had to be there to believe it. Without a doubt, there must have been 500,000. I’ve been on marches in London with over a million people taking part, and Manchester 2008 had a simmilar feeling. And we have Walter to thank for such wonderful memories just to take part and be one of a special Rangers family day out.

Back