The rotation of Goalkeepers

Marcellus Wallace

I've got Big Balls
All I’ve heard is that it’s the wrong thing to do and therefore it’s a black mark against Michael Beale’s man management.
What I’ve not seen is that part of the reason for it is that when we have 3 games a week a 41 year old GK cannot do this.
I know we could have looked at it in January but I’m not sure we get the best we can get in that window and therefore the summer looks like the best time to focus on this crucial position.
Hopefully we will see McRorie enough for the manager to make a final judgment but personally I don’t have the same issue as many especially as most agree that the league is out of reach.

I don’t know any teams that rotate their keepers. If Gordon hadn’t got that injury he’d be playing every game. Same age as McGregor.

Surely McGregor can play 90 minutes once a week from now until the end of the season with the odd midweek run out - not that we’ve got many.

McGregor could easily have played against Ross County with McLaughlin playing the odd game if needs be - or like Thistle this weekend where we shouldnt have any issues

Honestly I think its more Beale was wanting to give McLaughlin an opportunity to have some game time as well to see him in action as well as McGregor. I think ultimately McGregor will leave end of the season and he was simply trying to sound out if McLaughlin could be number 1. I'd be very surprised if we don't sign a goalkeeper in the summer.

I don’t know any teams that rotate their keepers. If Gordon hadn’t got that injury he’d be playing every game. Same age as McGregor.

Surely McGregor can play 90 minutes once a week from now until the end of the season with the odd midweek run out - not that we’ve got many.

If he cant he shouldnt be here

And another keeper signed

the fatigue comments from Beale were a bit weird

Honestly I think its more Beale was wanting to give McLaughlin an opportunity to have some game time as well to see him in action as well as McGregor. I think ultimately McGregor will leave end of the season and he was simply trying to sound out if McLaughlin could be number 1. I'd be very surprised if we don't sign a goalkeeper in the summer.
I'd go as far as to say he's sounding out if he should be suitable back up. I think Beale Will know he wants a new number 1 and the question will be who sits on the bench.

Gerrard didn't think McGregor was fit enough to play three games a week. Beale evidently thinks the same.

Play McGregor every week/play McLaughlin every week/rotate them. As GVB found out, neither are very good and whatever we go with is still going to result in mistakes regardless.

I don’t see any reason why McGregor couldn’t play the three games in a week?

The GK situation is an absolute farce.
I guess it's less about the actual game, and maybe more that the preparation of getting his body ready to play has an impact.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as Greegs gets older, he needs to do lots of work in the days immediately prior to a game to be supple enough to play at a reasonable level. After the game I can imagine that extra work leaves him stiff and that means he needs some recovery time before the next game. I'd also definitely keep him off plastic pitches.

Whatever the reason I think he's been much better since he started playing less.

I've been thinking more about our keeper situation next year, and part of me wouldn't mind keeping McGregor. I don't want him starting and I probably don't even want him as second choice but in the unlikely event he was interested in being the 3rd choice and acting as a mentor whilst covering for emergencies I'd probably do that deal. Have a new #1, McCrorie as #2 and Greegs as third choice.

I think it's still important to have players who know the club to set a standard and we're starved of home grown players, so reserving 2 or 3 of those slots for goalkeepers makes our European squad really thin elsewhere.

Gerrard didn't think McGregor was fit enough to play three games a week. Beale evidently thinks the same.

Play McGregor every week/play McLaughlin every week/rotate them. As GVB found out, neither are very good and whatever we go with is still going to result in mistakes regardless.

Whit ? He played him 3 games in literally his last week with us !

7/11/21 Ross County home
04/11/21 Brondby away
30/10/21 Motherwell away

Whit ? He played him 3 games in literally his last week with us !

7/11/21 Ross County home
04/11/21 Brondby away
30/10/21 Motherwell away

Gerrard said: “We are going to have to (manage McGregor).

“He’s at that age. He’s made a decision for us to play on, and have had that chat and it was about me saying to Allan at times we are going to have to look after him.

"We want Allan fit for the rest of the season, he is so important for us, but I can’t ask him to go game, game game.

“His body is at a stage where he needs looking after at times.”

Gerrard said: “We are going to have to (manage McGregor).

“He’s at that age. He’s made a decision for us to play on, and have had that chat and it was about me saying to Allan at times we are going to have to look after him.

"We want Allan fit for the rest of the season, he is so important for us, but I can’t ask him to go game, game game.

“His body is at a stage where he needs looking after at times.”

Gerrard also said Ross McCrorie would be our future Captain.

What I also should’ve added that in these games we conceded 4 goals from 5 attempts on target. technically 4 from the opposition as Brondby didn’t manage 1 we scored an own goal.

7/11/21 Ross County home
04/11/21 Brondby away
30/10/21 Motherwell away

The following week we were humiliated by Hibs at Hampden, they scored 3 goals from 3 attempts on target.

McGregor was immense in our 55 season but should’ve been replaced then.

Back