The Sash and Derrys Walls

No they're not, they are Rangers fans that want Scotland to do well with leaving aside the political baggage that follows It. And do yourself a favour and listen, not one Rangers fan call themselves with the H word. Maybe have a think before you post nonsense
I know loads of Rangers fans who call themselves “h..s “
Also look on the Rangers pages on Facebook loads of them there too. I go to most away games in Europe and have had discussions with many who use the word.

Don't know if this was posted on another thread but what is that St.Andrews cross with green and orange quarters all about?

Absolute pish! I was in the Rangers end that day against England and neither song was sung. Back in those days we did form the majority of the Scotland support but you also got people travelling from all over Scotland to support the team. What I can say is that very few of that other mob attended Scotland games but as I said in an earlier post, I never heard the Sash or Derry's walls being sung. The nearest I ever heard to our supporters making their views known at Hampden was in a World Cup qualifier against West Germany in 1969. Scotland was a goal down, Jimmy Johnstone was playing poorly and our lot wanted Willie Henderson on pronto to replace him. Johnstone started to get stick from members of the crowd and Henderson's name was belted out very loudly. It was the subject of wide comment from the Scottish media the following day. Do you seriously think that if the Sash or Derry's Walls was being belted out it would not have been subject to media comment at the time?
I was at that game also. No way was either song belted out. I’d definitely have noticed it if it had been as I’ve never been a fan of either ditty. What I do vividly recall is that Jimmy Johnstone had the greatest game I’d ever seen any player have in a live setting. He absolutely tortured the English midfield and defence.

I have zero interest in Scotland due to the weird anti Rangers element of the support...

I find it equally weird & cringey that our own fans would also look to alienate other fans by singing the sash & derrys walls though.

I was at that game also. No way was either song belted out. I’d definitely have noticed it if it had been as I’ve never been a fan of either ditty. What I do vividly recall is that Jimmy Johnstone had the greatest game I’d ever seen any player have in a live setting. He absolutely tortured the English midfield and defence.
Did he aye ? Take it you didn’t see Baxter ?

Were regularly sung at Scotland matches in the 60s right up into the 70s, Celtic players also booed. FFS we've now came full circle and the filth have taken over, where did it all go wrong.
As a schoolboy I attended a Scotland vs Northern Ireland match at Hampden in 1971 Home Internationals.

The Rangers End, well the centre of it where you'd expect all the gallus maddies to be, was a colourful display of Ulster flags, Vanguard flags and Lion Rampants and Union Flags.

I was only 11, the panoply of patriotic colours was mesmerising, and it served to reinforce everything that I'd been brought up to believe in.

The Sash and the Cry were lustily sung from time to time, throughout the game. Was this a bad thing? If it was, nobody in the crowd seemed bothered.

Perhaps it was just the way things were then, but today, the pendulum has swung to a degree that I really couldn't care less how Scotland get on nowadays.

And I'm someone whose been at Wembley twice in the heydays, seen Maradonna at Hampden in 79, watched Scotland getting humped by Peru in 79, Scotland doing Australia in 1985, buy a Scotland shirt for WC 86 and had the ignominy of an elderly neighbor ask me and my tartan bedecked pal, if we'd been to see the Bay City Rollers?

I've done and am done, by the Scotland "national team".

Let them continue with their new found nationalist cheerleaders.

Last edited:
I’ve always been the type of scotland supporter who gets behind any player who is wearing the dark blue of the country, I’ll jump about daft if a Celtic player playing for scotland were to score a last minute winner for scotland but it’s always pissed me off that other fans don’t reciprocate when it’s a Rangers player and they are supporters of other clubs.

After the scotland match is over normal service resumes mind you.

Does get tiresome mind you folks telling you you can’t be a scotland fan if… or you can’t be a Rangers fan if…

Supporting Rangers and Scotlandis a broad church IMHO

Couldn’t care less about those songs not being sung at Scotland games. Don’t see any relevance whatsoever.

There’s definitely been an anti Rangers sentiment rising in recent years, which I put down to, the constitutional question and 2014, plus there being a lot of Aberdeen fans (and others that rarely get European away days) within the tartan army. It’s similar with the England fanbase in which a big proportion are fans of ‘smaller’ teams.
Agree!
Lots of Aberdeen,Dundeeand Hibs fans. These guys rarely get to go abroad so follow Scotland instead.
They hate Rangers and this is evident at the Scotland games!

Unfortunately, some have foggy memories. I agree with the majority on here that the Sash and Derry’s Walls were not sung at Scotland v England in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s. I attended every major Scotland-England game during those periods, Wembley too, and do not recall singing the Sash at any of these games. We were the clear majority during those times. I would also claim we, as Rangers fans, never, ever booed the likes of Jimmy Johnstone or others from the tärriers. We gave respect, and still do.

My first ever Scotland game was 1974 against East Germany. I can remember Derrys Walls getting sung in the Rangers End - not the whole end but maybe a couple of hundred in Section J, we were in the old North Stand.

I remember being confused because GSTQ was booed yet here was another Rangers song being sung.

Celtic fans tended not to go to Scotland games back then.

Prior to the Scotland v England game in 1972 the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards were on the pitch playing Amazing Grace and the Rangers end were singing Derrys Walls. It was quite a sight from the Celtic end with a sea of Lion Rampants.

No. Unfortunately, never saw Baxter in a live game. Johnstone was otherworldly in that game.

With your dislike of the dittys and obvious love of Jimmy Johnstone, are you sure you didn't miss out "tholic" from the end of your username?

I'm glad you remember hate someone trying to make me out a liar.

I dont remember it but Im happy to be wrong. Dont take it personally. FF has a habit of creating conflict.

I do remember it was common to wear a Rangers' scarf to Scotland games.

I see people going to Scotland games that used to say i hate football now wearing kilts they are nationalists and want to be part of the gang one other person saying they were always punks but when i remember them they were little snitchy swots lol Its funny what nationalism does to people with their selective memories.

Well
Were regularly sung at Scotland matches in the 60s right up into the 70s, Celtic players also booed. FFS we've now came full circle and the filth have taken over, where did it all go wrong.
started going to internationals in early sixties and don’t remember Tim players getting booed. Remember shouting come on the Rangers as that many of us in the team. On the songs sung on the buses and in the pubs.

The slippery slope began when they decided to use different tunes for the home nations, effectively marking God save the ( then ) Queen as the “English National Anthem”.

We were left with Scotland the Brave and then Flower of Scotland, the former a hoochter teuchter music hall ditty, the latter a morose, moribund dirge, but the seeds of difference were sown.

Ita symptom of the "Ulsterisation" of Scotland under the SNP, and their success in taking the Irish Republican sympathiser vote.

The likes of Motherwell used to have a massive loyalist following. You would hear the sash at Fir Park. Airdrie too.

Something you might notice is that the flags of the casual firms in Scotland are all Union Jacks. Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs casuals all carry their name on UJ’s. The older lads all seem to know the score but the younger lot coming up are taught to hate everything about the UK.

The SNP have managed to poison the education system.

The likes of Motherwell used to have a massive loyalist following. You would hear the sash at Fir Park. Airdrie too.

Something you might notice is that the flags of the casual firms in Scotland are all Union Jacks. Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs casuals all carry their name on UJ’s. The older lads all seem to know the score but the younger lot coming up are taught to hate everything about the UK.

The SNP have managed to poison the education system.
I mind watching the 91 Scottish Cup Semi final on YouTube recently when Motherwell smashed Celtic 4-2. There was a few UJ's and even a red hand of Ulster in the Motherwell end.

I remember watching it on the TV at the time and it not really registering as that was just the way it was then, looks strange now though over 30 years later.

New Member Alert.

Also look on the Rangers pages on Facebook loads of them there too. I go to most away games in Europe and have had discussions with many who use the word.
Mate I don't know one Rangers fan that accepts that word to describe them, myself included,

No they're not, they are Rangers fans that want Scotland to do well with leaving aside the political baggage that follows It. And do yourself a favour and listen, not one Rangers fan call themselves with the H word. Maybe have a think before you post nonsense
They shouldn't but plenty do.

I know some disagree but I never care about or watch Scotland. I don’t want them to lose but I have no interest in their results. Years of hatred towards our Club will never see me interested in the National Team.
The only comment I disagree with you is I want them lose every game ,I will never have any interest in the national football team,I continue to support my country at almost every other sport.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've got a vague recollection of home & away fans singing the sash together during a Scotland vs Northern Ireland game in the early 90s.

May have only been a few pockets of fans, but seemed pretty vocal throughout the stadium!
You're mistaken.

I don't remember either song ever being sung at a Scotland game in the 70s.

I do remember most of the support being Rangers fans though.

Agree.

I can remember one match in Section J where a decent sized group were chanting “we don’t need the p### support, we don’t need the p### support, na na na naaaa na na na naaa”. Ok, it may have been me and my mates. :))

However, I honestly don’t recall the Sash or Derry’s Walls being sung

Last edited:
Unfortunately, some have foggy memories. I agree with the majority on here that the Sash and Derry’s Walls were not sung at Scotland v England in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s. I attended every major Scotland-England game during those periods, Wembley too, and do not recall singing the Sash at any of these games. We were the clear majority during those times. I would also claim we, as Rangers fans, never, ever booed the likes of Jimmy Johnstone or others from the tärriers. We gave respect, and still do.
Can't recall the likes of Dalgleish or McGrain getting booed either

As an (older Bear) who attended the majority of Scotland games back then, I honestly can't recall any "toons" being sung at Scotland matches.

We used to run a bus from the pub for all Scotland home international away games.

Only rules for the bus were

1) you had to have been in the sweep run every week in the pub to fund a full bottle of the spirit of your choice before departure
2) no poets

The journey down was always epic. Regular sash bash over the bus system, but it was never taken off the bus once we stopped.

It would be good to get to a place where no Scotland players were booed by their own support and the only songs sung were those about Scotland.

I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Can't recall the likes of Dalgleish or McGrain getting booed either

The only open sectarian abuse that I ever witnessed at a representative match was directed at a Rangers player and the player concerned was Ronnie McKinnon. The game in question was the Scottish League v the League of Ireland and it was played on a midweek at Parkhead back in 1966. There wasn't a big crowd at the game, McKinnon was the sole Rangers player in the team with several of their lot in it. Given that and also the fact that the game was at Parkhead, their supporters made up the bulk of the crowd. McKinnon was given loud abuse throughout the game including regular eeyyaddio chants of, "McKinnon is a hun". It was disgraceful.

Back