The Scottish Amateur Cup 2018/2019

The Scottish Cup is almost worthless due the amount of money flying around. Paying players is against the rules and therefore cheating to win it. It's an absolute joke.

They may have done, I can't remember, think they beat Shortlees a few seasons ago.

I've seen Oban play Colville twice, Colville beat them 1-2 in Oban. Also went to the Semi Final in Hamilton a couple of seasons ago, Colville won that one 3-1.

Colville beat us 3-1 up here after a 2-2 draw. Saints were leading 1-0 before conceding a penalty which resulted in a red card. We were also 1-0 up in the semi-final at Hamilton a couple of seasons ago before losing 3-1. Did beat them 2-1 down there after a 2-2 draw in Oban back in 2007
Have beaten most of the "big" teams up here including Bannockburn & Shortlees in recent seasons.

Last edited:
Why are the SAFA not doing more about this DB? Could they?

May it be that it’s not happening on the scale that is rumoured?

I find it difficult to understand why nobody has come out with concrete evidence that this is going on at certain clubs given the alleged scale of it. That said, how some clubs can attract/keep the players they do is as confusing.

I don't think there's anything they can do to prove it.

The league associations just turn a blind eye because they're only interested in a team from their league winning the Scottish/West etc.

My post replying to myself was intended as a reply to you DB. It’s either the new layout or I’m a fûcking biff. Probably the latter.

May it be that it’s not happening on the scale that is rumoured?

I find it difficult to understand why nobody has come out with concrete evidence that this is going on at certain clubs given the alleged scale of it. That said, how some clubs can attract/keep the players they do is as confusing.

As I said, people will tell you they're openly being paid. It's not a secret. I know boys getting money at clubs and others who have been offered and knocked it back etc.

It's always gangsters putting money in or players being remunerated via another method ie getting jobs etc. I know for a fact one club were giving players jobs and then putting through tons of overtime etc that the players were not even doing.

It's really difficult to prove.

Clubs should just refuse to play against the teams that are at it. That's the only way it'll get attention probably.

There's players literally dropping from professional clubs or top level junior clubs to amateur. I don't care if your pals play, you're not walking away from 400 quid a month to pay a tenner a week with your mates. Not when you're at the peak of your career.

As I said, people will tell you they're openly being paid. It's not a secret. I know boys getting money at clubs and others who have been offered and knocked it back etc.

It's always gangsters putting money in or players being remunerated via another method ie getting jobs etc. I know for a fact one club were giving players jobs and then putting through tons of overtime etc that the players were not even doing.

It's really difficult to prove.

Clubs should just refuse to play against the teams that are at it. That's the only way it'll get attention probably.

There's players literally dropping from professional clubs or top level junior clubs to amateur. I don't care if your pals play, you're not walking away from 400 quid a month to pay a tenner a week with your mates. Not when you're at the peak of your career.

I have heard of a player openly shouting at the opposition bench during a game that he was earning £200 per week.
The opposition were from your "neck of the woods" btw.

A player shouting that doesn’t mean he’s getting it. In fact I’d suggest that it’s unlikey to be true.

I’ve been around amateur football for years and I’ve heard the same rumours that everyone else has but only once has a player told me he was offered money to play and that he’d accepted the offer. Ultimately he didn’t move to that team for whatever reason.

I don’t think it’s not going on by the way but I’m not convinced it’s in the scale we hear of. What does a ‘gangster’ get from putting money in to an amateur football team?

A player shouting that doesn’t mean he’s getting it. In fact I’d suggest that it’s unlikey to be true.

I’ve been around amateur football for years and I’ve heard the same rumours that everyone else has but only once has a player told me he was offered money to play and that he’d accepted the offer. Ultimately he didn’t move to that team for whatever reason.

I don’t think it’s not going on by the way but I’m not convinced it’s in the scale we hear of. What does a ‘gangster’ get from putting money in to an amateur football team?

Although that's true enough the player concerned has admitted before to a player i know that he was being paid to play. In fact he was quite blase regarding the issue.
Will speak to the person who told me this tomorrow before the game v Thorn Athletic.

West of Scotland Cup Ties tomorrow. Kick offs at 13:30 unless stated otherwise.

St David’s AFC v Third Lanark AFC 12:00

Ardeer West Rec v Dumbarton Academy

Ardrossan Castle v Irvine Meadow

Cambria v East Kilbride YM

Easthall Start v St Patricks

Hurlford AFC v Goldenhill

Kilbride Thistle v East Dunbartonshire

Motherwell Thistle v Southside (SSMAFL)

Neilston v South Lochaber Thistle

Oban Saints v Thorn Athletic

Strathclyde Uni v Harestanes

Tynecastle v Campsie Minerva

Crookston Castle v Garrowhill 14:00

Stewarton v Glasgow Uni
14:00

Blantyre RGM v Shortlees 15:00

Colville Park v Bannockburn 15:00

Ties at Cambria, Oban and Colville Park the pick of the round for me.

West of Scotland Cup Ties tomorrow. Kick offs at 13:30 unless stated otherwise.

St David’s AFC v Third Lanark AFC 12:00

Ardeer West Rec v Dumbarton Academy

Ardrossan Castle v Irvine Meadow

Cambria v East Kilbride YM

Easthall Start v St Patricks

Hurlford AFC v Goldenhill

Kilbride Thistle v East Dunbartonshire

Motherwell Thistle v Southside (SSMAFL)

Neilston v South Lochaber Thistle

Oban Saints v Thorn Athletic

Strathclyde Uni v Harestanes

Tynecastle v Campsie Minerva

Crookston Castle v Garrowhill 14:00

Stewarton v Glasgow Uni
14:00

Blantyre RGM v Shortlees 15:00

Colville Park v Bannockburn 15:00

Ties at Cambria, Oban and Colville Park the pick of the round for me.

Do you know if the Colville game is being played at Dalziel Park? Only 5 minutes away by car so might go take the game in

Neilston v South Lochaber OFF.

I will try to update any postponements, I can’t figure out how to edit the post with all the fixtures in it to put them In there.

I know boys who are being paid. One ex Ranger was being paid. He was one of the best we had coming through and sadly injury ruined him at Rangers. Was offered back into the game with east Fife iirc but was getting more money at amateur

Possil YM were run by one of the Daniels. Larkfield were ran by two dodgy brothers from greenock and there are other teams like that in all the leagues.

%^*& knows what they get from.it but they do it.

One of the boys I played with was offered money and 2gram a week to go and play with a club

The Ayrshire Association apparently offered players immunity from any sort of ban if they came forward and say they’ve received money, but still don’t think it worked.

Also sure a complaint was made with a recorded phone call as evidence, but nothing came of that either.

There’s been rumours for years about it. Drum utd years ago, colville park now also shortlees and hurlford. Other smaller teams like possil and southside have been accused in recent years but it’s so hard to prove. Can’t see anyone coming out and saying they get paid to play when there’s rumours of who puts money into clubs.

Players travelling 30/40 mile round trips for training/games for an amateur team? Cause their successful.... turn it up. Teams carrying squads of 25 and over?? Just why?

There’s been rumours for years about it. Drum utd years ago, colville park now also shortlees and hurlford. Other smaller teams like possil and southside have been accused in recent years but it’s so hard to prove. Can’t see anyone coming out and saying they get paid to play when there’s rumours of who puts money into clubs.

Players travelling 30/40 mile round trips for training/games for an amateur team? Cause their successful.... turn it up. Teams carrying squads of 25 and over?? Just why?
I remember my mate playing for the Scottish International amateur team,they played a 4-3-3 and he was one of the strikers, they were all extremely prolific and the other two played for the same team,after one away game they asked him who he was signing with next season ,he replied 'I've got offers from Dumbarton and Queens Park', they both said '%^*& that I can't afford to go professional,I'd be dropping £200 a week'

This was 20 years ago,I don't want to name the team as I'm not 100% certain.

I

West of Scotland Cup results.

St David’s AFC 2 v 3 Third Lanark AFC

Ardeer West Rec 3 v 5Dumbarton Acad

Ardrossan Castle 0 v 3 Irvine Meadow

Easthall Start 1 v St Patricks 10

Kilbride Thistle 0 v 2 East Dunbartonshire

Motherwell Thistle 0 v 2 Southside

Oban Saints 3 v 1 Thorn Athletic

Tynecastle 2 v 0 Campsie Minerva

Crookston Castle 3 v 1 Garrowhill

Stewarton 1 v 5 Glasgow Uni

Blantyre RGM 0 v 1 Shortlees

Any fixture posted above that doesn’t have a result was postponed. Great results for the 3 Saturday morning teams that remain.

West of Scotland Cup last 16 Draw

Oban Saints v Neilston or South Lochaber Thistle

Hurlford AFC or Goldenhill v Cambria or East Kilbride Y.M.

Glasgow University v Irvine Meadow

Southside v Crookston Castle

Dumbarton Academy FP v Third Lanark

Strathclyde University or Harestanes v St. Patrick's FP

East Dunbartonshire v Shortlees

Colville Park or Bannockburn v Tynecastle

Ties to be played February 16.

West of Scotland Cup last 16 Draw

Oban Saints v Neilston or South Lochaber Thistle

Hurlford AFC or Goldenhill v Cambria or East Kilbride Y.M.

Glasgow University v Irvine Meadow

Southside v Crookston Castle

Dumbarton Academy FP v Third Lanark

Strathclyde University or Harestanes v St. Patrick's FP

East Dunbartonshire v Shortlees

Colville Park or Bannockburn v Tynecastle

Ties to be played February 16.

Brutal draw for us in both cups

Decent draw for Glasgow Uni ,have a decent chance in both cups.Young loyaltreber junior called up to Scottish amatuer squad also

Decent draw for Glasgow Uni ,have a decent chance in both cups.Young loyaltreber junior called up to Scottish amatuer squad also

Stewarton’s manager was very complimentary about Glasgow University’s performance on Saturday.

I’ve only seen them once this season and have to say they didn’t strike me as a team that would threaten in the majors but they do have a good draw here and are at a stage where anything can happen.

I wouldn’t say they are worse than the Cambria team that win the West in 2017.

Back