The Scottish Amateur Cup

Roscoblue

I know there was a thread on the old board about the Scottish Amateur Cup but haven’t seen anything on the new one.

Round 5 yesterday (a few round 4 ties as well due to adverse weather and the festive period). Southside (beaten finalists last year) out yesterday, Colville Park (winners for the last 2 years) already out.

Anyone on here involved and fancy their chances of going the distance?

Campsie Minerva beaten by a good young Kilbride thistle team yesterday as well

Seen that mate, wasn’t expecting that result. Shortlees fancy their chances this year, they always do in fact.

St Pat’s hammered Craigshill yesterday and are apparently very good. Harestanes and Bannockburn will be looking to go all the way and Pennies are also a good side.

Oban Saints will believe they can go a step further this year (beaten semi finalists the last 2 years) as well I’m sure.

Hurlford out as well, which is nice.

Shortlees best side from Ayrshire left in it and really good going forward.

Wide open this year.

I think Goldenhill will be there or thereabouts this year. I would like to see Oban Saints do it but I don't think they're as strong as they have been in previous years.

Bannockburn put my team out, I thought they were an excellent side.

I think Goldenhill will be there or thereabouts this year. I would like to see Oban Saints do it but I don't think they're as strong as they have been in previous years.

Bannockburn put my team out, I thought they were an excellent side.

I thought Bannockburn were better last year, the fact that Colville hoovered their 3 best players in the summer (one has returned) probably didn’t help.....

I haven’t seen Goldenhill but all the reports on them are good, I agree with your assessment of Oban Saints but the seem to know how to negotiate their way to the latter stages of this cup. There’s a few teams from the SAFL that are improving quickly.

Who is ‘your team’?

A lot of good teams out this year including mine.

The most open cup for a good few years with plenty unfancied sides in the last 32.

Seen that mate, wasn’t expecting that result. Shortlees fancy their chances this year, they always do in fact.

St Pat’s hammered Craigshill yesterday and are apparently very good. Harestanes and Bannockburn will be looking to go all the way and Pennies are also a good side.

Oban Saints will believe they can go a step further this year (beaten semi finalists the last 2 years) as well I’m sure.

Yesterday was the first time this season the first eleven were available. Beat Greenock HSFP 2-0 in a replay. Should have been 5 or 6 tbh.

Away to St Josephs in the next round.

Some of the teams mentioned would've been hammered back in my day in the Ammies with the exception of St Pats

Shows you the turnaround in teams fortunes, Fallin, Campise Minerva & Oban Saints were teams that were easily skelped

Some of the teams mentioned would've been hammered back in my day in the Ammies with the exception of St Pats

Shows you the turnaround in teams fortunes, Fallin, Campise Minerva & Oban Saints were teams that were easily skelped

Who did you play with?

Would Colville, Haretanes or Bannockburn have been hammered?

Played against St Pats earlier on this season and I said then that they will go far in the majors and the league. Cracking team this year and their forward line is freighting.

Hopefully my old side Drum Ams can do well this year. Year of the underdog again by looks of it.

Played against St Pats earlier on this season and I said then that they will go far in the majors and the league. Cracking team this year and their forward line is freighting.

Hopefully my old side Drum Ams can do well this year. Year of the underdog again by looks of it.

The two brothers up front for St Pats are excellent. Couple of bitter shettlestons right enough...

Watched tullibody ams and they looked a decent young side ... noticed they drew 3-3 with dalziel and replay this week

Yesterday was the first time this season the first eleven were available. Beat Greenock HSFP 2-0 in a replay. Should have been 5 or 6 tbh.

Away to St Josephs in the next round.

St Joes out mate, got beat by EKRR, Saints will fancy that one.

Old Cardross Rock and Denny Ams player, but got some good friends at St Pats, would never have played for them though.

Who did you play with?

Would Colville, Haretanes or Bannockburn have been hammered?

No all good teams, Bannockburn were our closest rivals, Harestanes were up and down and Coalville were decent. St Pats were always the one to beat If you wanted to win the cup

Or perhaps these teams have gradually improved over the years i.e Oban Saints.

That's what Im saying, all of the teams mentioned have improved greatly.

When I played ammie our team was all ex juniors and ex seniors with a few ex pros thrown in.

I watched a few junior matches last year and was shocked at the standard. It was like a Sunday morning league.

Oban have struggled big time in the league this year but seem to have got it together. Any other Argyll teams still in the cup? Heard Red Star are having a good season with decent young team.

Remember a played against st pats in the last 16 of scottish over 25 years ago and they were beating us 1-0 wae five mins to go and they kicked the ball out as one of our players was injured ... our left back said to me before he took the throw in that he was going to throw it over there players head for me to run onto it and thats what happened and a scored ... they were going fackin mental saying we should have gave them the ball back ... to top it off we got a penalty in the last minute and beat them 2-1 ... none of them come back to the pub haha mentally challenged bassas

Hopefully Pennies are nowhere near winning it. If you are that desperate to win, then go Junior.

Watched tullibody ams and they looked a decent young side ... noticed they drew 3-3 with dalziel and replay this week

Always been a Well run team. First amateur team I played for around 15 years ago in the old McEwans League, and then ran them for a season. Have an affiliation to Sauchie Juniors now.

Where were you watching them out of interest mate? Tullibody or Motherwell?

Oban have struggled big time in the league this year but seem to have got it together. Any other Argyll teams still in the cup? Heard Red Star are having a good season with decent young team.

I play with Red Star, we've had a good start to the league season, we got well stuffed in the cup by Bannockburn 7-1 out there, they were excellent.

No all good teams, Bannockburn were our closest rivals, Harestanes were up and down and Coalville were decent. St Pats were always the one to beat If you wanted to win the cup

Must have been years and years ago you played mate. The year I started playing ams (2000/2001ish) Harestanes has just won back to back Scottish Cups. They have been up in the top league ever since to my knowledge. Guy called Ian Colston ran them. He also picked the league select side.

To be fair, what you’re alluding to could be levelled at many amateur clubs these days.

I wouldn’t want any of them to win either mate. I’ve never understood how these boys could enjoy winning under those circumstances.

Must have been years and years ago you played mate. The year I started playing ams (2000/2001ish) Harestanes has just won back to back Scottish Cups. They have been up in the top league ever since to my knowledge. Guy called Ian Colston ran them. He also picked the league select side.

Im. Sure I played for Ian in the league select

I don’t know what they’re like mate, Bannockburn beat them comfortable early in the Scottish.

I don’t think there’s anyone else from Argyll left.

I wouldn’t want any of them to win either mate. I’ve never understood how these boys could enjoy winning under those circumstances.

I wouldn’t want them to win either mate. While I think it’s pathetic from the clubs I just can’t see the player saying no to it.

There’s boys leaving/rejecting senior clubs to play amateur ‘with their mates’.

I play with Red Star, we've had a good start to the league season, we got well stuffed in the cup by Bannockburn 7-1 out there, they were excellent.

Sore one but they seem a top side. Good to hear LRS going well. What about Campbeltown and Tarbert mate?

I wouldn’t want them to win either mate. While I think it’s pathetic from the clubs I just can’t see the player saying no to it.

There’s boys leaving/rejecting senior clubs to play amateur ‘with their mates’.

Totally agree bud. A complete nonsense. As you say though, they are human. It’s a lot to turn down .

Sore one but they seem a top side. Good to hear LRS going well. What about Campbeltown and Tarbert mate?
Cheers, Tarbert really struggling these days for bodies, a lot of their older players have finished and there just aren't the bodies coming through, I think its an amateur football thing in general and not just Argyll teams.

Campbeltown are usually pretty competitive floating between the Premier and the division below. They are a good side but struggle for commitment especially for away games which is a six hour round trip for them!

Only played ammie for a few years after dropping down from junior, played with Milton and Cambusbarron, two of many, became a mercenary

Haha I must know you mate. What years we talking? Milton won the Scottish late 90’s I think. Always a really good set up there.

I went to Cambusbarron when Tullibody folded. Half of the boys went to Milton, one of whom ended up running them. SR is his initials.

Back