The Scottish Cup's Greatest Giant Killings

I’m biased but Talbot were a junior side when we beat Ayr Utd in the Scottish cup, who were top of the championship when the draw was made.

Darvel result has to be top shock though.

I know we say regarding football,never say never. But it's hard to think that there will ever be a bigger cup upset than Darvel 1 Aberdeen 0.
PS.... l'm loving it.

Darvel is the biggest upset in Scottish football we will see in our lifetimes that's for sure.

State of Clark, the “foul” right at the start then no card for the penalty
But but Celtic are always cheated! Incredible how many decisions went for them that day! Incredible that we were so far behind them too initially under strachan as they were pretty poor but always seemed to get results! Same under the fat mess now - not that impressive but some how got beyond us.

Darvel is of course a good shout.

But two points-

a) Difficult to compare with previous lower League v top league shocks simply because there's presently 4 'senior' leagues

But essentially b) in reality, the standard of football in the SPL (OF apart) is not markedly better than the top junior teams. What an indictment that is!

Still, Darvel 1Aberdeen 0- hilarious all the same.

My work has blocked the image so not sure if it's included, but why is our loss to Hamilton in the cup held in such high regard? Aye they were bottom of the league but they were still in the same division. Losing to a bottom of the league side isn't exactly unheard of especially when you compare it to a lot of other shocks.
Yes reminds me of the 2013 FA Cup Final when Wigan Beat Man City, it was a shock result but wasn’t exactly a giant killing.

The thing about Darvel beating Aberdeen and Berwick Rangers beating us is no one will be talking about Darvel beating a wee fanny team 56 and counting years later.
We were,are and always will be the most important team and the team they all want to beat

Celtic have lost a few Scottish cup games to Championship level sides over the years. Inverness (3-1) & (1-0), Clyde (2-1) and also Ross County (2-0) in a semi final.

Division two Alloa beat a decent enough Kilmarnock 1-0 in 1999/2000 season. That was a fair result, considering it was after a replay.

Whilst Darvel has to be the biggest shock, the fall out from Berwick was much more telling. It cost us a European trophy because of the dir3ctors reaction. It cost us our best striker, ultimately our manager, and contributed to their NIAR

Turd polishing - what the SMSM does.

Refereeing outrages in our Accies game quiety airbrushed from history.

Well done Darvel. Hope they get pumped on Saturday by Arthurlie. However unlikely....
Entirely possible Arthurlie win
The Darvel guys have probably not sobered up yet
Plus with all due respect to Arthurlie it might be hard for Darvel to come down to earth and show the necessary commitment

Footballs a funny old game.

Never, Never say Never.

The hivers will be shechtin themselves about gettin beaten by the failed sheep this Saturday.

If they are, their manager goes, other way round Goodwin exits.

But but Celtic are always cheated! Incredible how many decisions went for them that day! Incredible that we were so far behind them too initially under strachan as they were pretty poor but always seemed to get results! Same under the fat mess now - not that impressive but some how got beyond us.

The first non goal by Bryson, the micks have been GETN AWAY with the same and much worse since I've been watching the fitbaw.

Nice to meet you.
Maybe have a wee think about your username.
66? Call me paranoid...
the ox is by a member of the who bass guitarist aka john entwistle, & 66 was my age hence the ox 66, i’m nearly 68 now i shall change it then… this had nothing to do with the Ibrox disaster , i was there that fateful day and i also came down stairway 13 also.. sorry for confusion guys

The second ICT - Paedos game in 2003 is always forgotten about, but it was a huge shock given that the Paedos had just knocked Liverpool out of the UEFA Cup QF 3 days earlier.

Footballs a funny old game.

Never, Never say Never.

The hivers will be shechtin themselves about gettin beaten by the failed sheep this Saturday.

If they are, their manager goes, other way round Goodwin exits.
What happens if it's a draw, do they both get the bump or a stay of execution?

the ox is by a member of the who bass guitarist aka john entwistle, & 66 was my age hence the ox 66, i’m nearly 68 now i shall change it then… this had nothing to do with the Ibrox disaster , i was there that fateful day and i also came down stairway 13 also.. sorry for confusion guys
No, I'm sorry.
Had I been rational, I could have come up many reasons why you would have used that number.
I was a wee bit gassed and jumped in feet first. This place sometimes makes me suspicious of new posters. Lurkers, timposters etc. I suppose I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions
Again, my apologies.
Rangers Forever.

And that was without Jim Leishman and his poems.
Good grief, that brings back a bad memory, I remember him on Saint and Greavesie before that game.
The Fife Robert Burns came up with lines like -
"Dunfermline two , Rangers wan, how I would love to beat that Souness man"

("Wan" being Scottish dialect for one, in case any non Scots are reading)

You're a complicated bugger.

After Timothy, sheep and hivers are my 2,3 of dislike intenselys.

Hivers will get naewin bagged.
The thing is, when he gets bagged, and he will, I don't see how he can come back from Monday night, purely on a personal level.

That stays with him forever.

No, I'm sorry.
Had I been rational, I could have come up many reasons why you would have used that number.
I was a wee bit gassed and jumped in feet first. This place sometimes makes me suspicious of new posters. Lurkers, timposters etc. I suppose I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions
Again, my apologies.
Rangers Forever.
no it’s fine no problem mate ⚪

Entirely possible Arthurlie win
The Darvel guys have probably not sobered up yet
Plus with all due respect to Arthurlie it might be hard for Darvel to come down to earth and show the necessary commitment
Watched the 1st half. Darvel's 1st was a deflected clearance that landed at the lad's foot 12yds out, albeit a decent finish. 2nd was a comedy of errors; ball not seen out at the bye-line, allowed to cross & McGee had a fresh air swipe instead of clearing, leaving a tap in to our empyt net.
I dashed off to Ibrox. Texts were boggling; Darvel missed a sitter & 'Lie ran to the other end and scored. 2 more for an unexpected, if welcome, home win. Lie up to 17pts. Darvel stay leaders as 'Lok lost.

The adulation of the Hamilton result annoys me. Is it a shock when the team is in the same division? It was a freak performance by their goalkeeper (Mckeller? later to join us) and a dreadful mistake by Davie McPherson. We dominated from start to finished and Mccoist and Fleck should have had a barrel load. At least four were cleared off the line (with two looking like they were behind the line). It must also be remembered Hamilton beat them a few months later in the league. Annoying result but not a giant killing or a complete shock.

Last edited:
Back