The Scottish Cup's Greatest Giant Killings

Berwick was the most famous of cup shocks, I think the Clyde v Mhanks game overtook it though, Clyde never had a team at the start of the season, they were a mish mash of trialists and free transfers, all cobbled together by Robbo, for them to knock out the filth was incredible.

I think Darvel overtakes the lot though, 6th tier knocking out a team in top league is unheard of.

My work has blocked the image so not sure if it's included, but why is our loss to Hamilton in the cup held in such high regard? Aye they were bottom of the league but they were still in the same division. Losing to a bottom of the league side isn't exactly unheard of especially when you compare it to a lot of other shocks.

Turd polishing - what the SMSM does.

Refereeing outrages in our Accies game quiety airbrushed from history.

Well done Darvel. Hope they get pumped on Saturday by Arthurlie. However unlikely....

That Clyde/Celtic game is massively underplayed. Clyde had no team in the summer and assembled an eleven from trialists and free agents available. They absolutely routed Celtic on the day and it was only Kenny Clark’s cheating which stopped it being a bigger score line. Clyde had a goal wrongly chopped off, were denied a stonewall penalty, and the filth should have been down to ten men in the first half with Du Wei only being saved by the ref.

Berwick was the most famous of cup shocks, I think the Clyde v Mhanks game overtook it though, Clyde never had a team at the start of the season, they were a mish mash of trialists and free transfers, all cobbled together by Robbo, for them to knock out the filth was incredible.

I think Darvel overtakes the lot though, 6th tier knocking out a team in top league is unheard of.
Clyde humped them too, would’ve been 3 or 4 by HT if not for dodgy decisions. A great debut for Roy Keane :D

That Clyde/Celtic game is massively underplayed. Clyde had no team in the summer and assembled an eleven from trialists and free agents available. They absolutely routed Celtic on the day and it was only Kenny Clark’s cheating which stopped it being a bigger score line. Clyde had a goal wrongly chopped off, were denied a stonewall penalty, and the filth should have been down to ten men in the first half with Du Wei only being saved by the ref.
Clyde actually were awarded (and missed) a penalty, they were denied a stonewaller too.

They did run the filth ragged that day and Kenny Clark turned in a shameful display.

If you watch the highlights 2-1 actually flattered celtic could of easily been 5-1 genuinely not exaggerating. Wasn't it Roy Keane's debut for them aswell? Double whammy

But they sold hunners of millions of tops in China after signing Du Wei so it was worth it.

For the sake of embarrassing the scum support, I’d agree with Clyde beating Celtic.
However, I’d rather go for our result against Berwick and tell them that the Clyde and Darvel wins weren’t really all that of a shock.
Some catch on to my point and are duly spitting venom at me.

The usual laughable inclusion of Hamilton Accies beating us. I can remember being very surprised they beat us, but they were in the same division FFS.
This one boils my piss.

Yes, it was a shock, but hardly one that knocked the planet off its axis.

That was Roy Keane's debut for the scum was against Clyde, I'm sure. Tabloid journos had come up from England for the game and were openly mocking and laughing at the cheating by ref Kenny Clark.

Turd polishing - what the SMSM does.

Refereeing outrages in our Accies game quiety airbrushed from history.

Well done Darvel. Hope they get pumped on Saturday by Arthurlie. However unlikely....
You sound disappointed that an article about cup shocks wasn't a detailed breakdown about ref "outrages" against Rangers from 30 years ago. :D

I think it not only beats all Scottish Cup shocks but may well rank no.1 in Scottish Football results from any platform.
Yeah, the gap between them 2 was incredible.
To go from playing like they did against us twice, to getting beat off Darvel, shows they only have 4 competitive games a season, assuming they make the top 6.

To go from playing like they did against us twice, to getting beat off Darvel, shows they only have 4 competitive games a season, assuming they make the top 6.
Jim Goodwin is a fraud and their team is full of career nobodies but even so Professional Pride should take over and something like that should never be able to happen.

And yet...

Clyde humped them too, would’ve been 3 or 4 by HT if not for dodgy decisions. A great debut for Roy Keane :D

Keane remembers the game:

“When I got on the bus, John Hartson, a really good guy, was already sitting there and he was eating a packet of crisps – with a fizzy drink.

“I said to myself, ‘Welcome to hell.’”

gauche… i don’t remember that one! are you at it?
No, 1897 or there abouts.
From memory sellik had won the previous 3 league titles and would make it four in a row, however,Arthurlie beat them one nil in the cup.
Still the bigger upset than any other for me, I know others may disagree.

I remember 1967 and the sheer incredulous reaction by almost everyone to the defeat by Berwick. That result set Rangers back years and was the catalyst for the rattlers 9 and almost total domination until the 1970’s.

A complete catastrophe for Rangers.

I actually think it says a lot about us, but I don't want to sidestrack the thread.

From memory sellik had won the previous 3 league titles and would make it four in a row, however,Arthurlie beat them one nil in the cup.
Was 4-2 athurlie with that lot complaining they didn't have a full first team, things never change.

Was 4-2 athurlie with that lot complaining they didn't have a full first team, things never change.
7 first team players and 4 reserves. If want a laugh have a look at the Celtic wiki page on that match, it popped up when I googled it they other day.

I remember 1967 and the sheer incredulous reaction by almost everyone to the defeat by Berwick. That result set Rangers back years and was the catalyst for the rattlers 9 and almost total domination until the 1970’s.

A complete catastrophe for Rangers.
Totally agree.
The fallout was disastrous.Forrest and McClean getting the boot,then later on Scot Symon.

Back