The sequence of play that led to Arfield's goal

I still think the OPs point is bang on though.

@Footballstewart on twitter shows it even better with the previous couple of stills.

In this instance it led to a goal. Great.

We're back at the same criticisms Warburton got and ultimately failed for though. Playing a 4-3-3 and constantly trying the same thing over and over again and lauding the one time it actually works and ignoring the multiple others it didn't.

Aberdeen at Ibrox, Hearts and Killie away...we either couldn't get the 2nd goal to give us breathing space or even score at all as far as the former goes and it's 99% down to being far too ponderous as the other stills in that tweet show.

I noticed that post last night.

If the criticism is "Rangers didn't give Hagi the ball quickly enough", then maybe that's valid.

But only maybe, as it's the movement of everyone else that makes it worthwhile. They'll be trained into playing passes when they see Arfield make that run, instead of hitting Hagi early and he has limited options.

There's no doubt we're a bit off form just now, but this is the best attacking team we've had since Eck got the best out of Advocaat's squad, and on a fraction of the cost too.

I get what you are saying, but could it be that the ball retention between Jack, Davis and Katic drew Livi out a bit higher than they had been, thus allowing the space for Arfield to get in on goal?
I think that’s a fair shout - but we should mix it up more IMO.
Hitting team with the pace and intricacy of passing that this Rangers side is capable of will tear most sides wide open. I prefer to see the faster attack, almost counter attacking pace but a lot of teams that Rangers face so sit in really deep and stick fast.

Drawing teams out does create space for the forwards to operate in, especially against teams who are piling 4 or 5 across the back and a midfielder or two dropping back in to support as well.

Reactions: TQ3
Look where Arfield is in the picture in the OP though.

I can totally understand why some are frustrated at the slower play in recent weeks, but that move and that moment in it is a poor example of "getting it wrong".

It's not a poor example though. It's just a very exaggerated and obvious example of one of our biggest problems imo and why we dropped points against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

They eventually rectify it and it's very good movement from Arfield to get the goal but imagine you were able to freeze the game in the op picture and you could pick the next pass. Forget this exact play where it ended in a goal. You're telling me you wouldn't want the ball to go into Hagi in this scenario? And it's not some 40 yard pass through a sea of bodies. Jack just needs to look up and he can pass it with his left foot. You say in another reply that Hagi would have limited options? Once he turned, Morelos and Kent would be ahead of him to slip in on goal. Once the ball goes into him, it's probably one of the most dangerous situations we can create.

Even if you want to ignore this one because we scored, the bigger point is the fact we need to get the ball forward quicker and play these type of passes more often. Too many times against Kilmarnock, players were just knocking it sideways and back without looking to be on the half-turn and play forward.

Can't believe we're now criticising the team for goals we've actually scored now. I think we may, finally, have reached Peak Bear Pit.

I noticed that post last night.

If the criticism is "Rangers didn't give Hagi the ball quickly enough", then maybe that's valid.

But only maybe, as it's the movement of everyone else that makes it worthwhile. They'll be trained into playing passes when they see Arfield make that run, instead of hitting Hagi early and he has limited options.

There's no doubt we're a bit off form just now, but this is the best attacking team we've had since Eck got the best out of Advocaat's squad, and on a fraction of the cost too.

Yeah, I'm fairly balanced on how "good" we are just now compared to the past teams we've had rather than comparing us to Celtic who've had a free run to get in the position they're in and our fans asking us to compete with that.

We are a good team (though there's need for improvement again as we progress)

I've noticed that Arfield (and Kent & Aribo too though not so much in the last two weeks) have been making runs from deep to help shift the opposition defence and midfield. The runs are excellent but the pass is never found quickly enough. Davis is really bad for this and holds on to the ball then lofts a floaty one in to the box.

We need to be more incisive for sure.

I get what you are saying, but could it be that the ball retention between Jack, Davis and Katic drew Livi out a bit higher than they had been, thus allowing the space for Arfield to get in on goal?

Passage of passing that leads to space for Arfield to score. If he passed to Hagi right away Arfield wouldn’t have been in that position

Rangers2.jpg

I hadn't noticed it at the time but I did mention in the op about Davis even having the ball before Jack that could have gone to Hagi. But @Footballstewart also posted a couple of screenshots on twitter and I noticed the position of Arfield initially. If that ball goes in to Hagi now, Arfield is in a similar position to the goal and still has that space to run into. If Hagi gets the ball now and turns, he has the option of Kent, Morelos and Arfield all to slip in on goal.

Instead, we play 3 extra passes and score a good goal eventually with nice movement from Arfield but my bigger point is the need to play forward quicker and hit these front men when they are in space between the lines.

Hagi has a terrific eye for the killer pass. Makes it look so easy. That particular play worked well but I dont think in its early stages Arfield had the space he ended up with. I'd go with the line the passing drew the defence out.

Can't believe we're now criticising the team for goals we've actually scored now. I think we may, finally, have reached Peak Bear Pit.

You've entirely missed the point.

The criticism is that the style of play which happily led to this goal is so very often the thing that stops us scoring multiple others.

One example of something working doesn't make up for numerous times when it costs us.

It's not a criticism of scoring this goal. It's part of the larger picture.

It's not a poor example though. It's just a very exaggerated and obvious example of one of our biggest problems imo and why we dropped points against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

They eventually rectify it and it's very good movement from Arfield to get the goal but imagine you were able to freeze the game in the op picture and you could pick the next pass. Forget this exact play where it ended in a goal. You're telling me you wouldn't want the ball to go into Hagi in this scenario? And it's not some 40 yard pass through a sea of bodies. Jack just needs to look up and he can pass it with his left foot. You say in another reply that Hagi would have limited options? Once he turned, Morelos and Kent would be ahead of him to slip in on goal. Once the ball goes into him, it's probably one of the most dangerous situations we can create.

Even if you want to ignore this one because we scored, the bigger point is the fact we need to get the ball forward quicker and play these type of passes more often. Too many times against Kilmarnock, players were just knocking it sideways and back without looking to be on the half-turn and play forward.
Agree with you, but some on here are using the example to ‘prove’ that a slow build up, passing up riskier chances to play it forward quickly, helps to draw out teams and this was why we scored. Absurd I know as most teams DON’T get drawn out, keep their shape and allow us to pass it back and forth at the back. The delay gives teams time to tighten up their shape. The OP’s example shows the two extremes very well, but some are thinking we made the goal BECAUSE of our ‘patience’. The opposite of what I think he was trying to say. Last thing we need is more delay in the build up. We need to play it forward THROUGH the lines and in more forward and central areas. Midfielders have been very guilty of falling deep and taking themselves out of the option of a forward pass. Hagi at least has been trying to do this but we need others to be helping out.

I'm saying that a ball to Hagi at that point may not have been the best option, yeah. A still picture doesn't tell us much, so I'd need to watch it all unfold.

The focus has to be on the whole team, and what options Hagi would have if given the ball.

The wider picture about our play - it hasn't been like that all season, so I think it's form more than a lack of ability.

Am I understanding this right? We’re challenging the passage of play that led to the goal by suggesting a better pass was on? How much better is there than getting a goal?

I heard Alan McGregor is our most forward passing player - only cos he has no one to pass back too.
Seriously though, we over play everything and need Davis and Jack to start looking up and finding players with forward passes rather than back to the defence. Hagi is an incredible talent and we are lucky to have him, some of his play is great - lets use him properly.

I think this is one area where we have actually really missed Helander. He is able to pick a pass much better than our other centre-halfs, which gives the midfielders and Kent a bit more confidence to move into space.

It's all too slow and overthought.

We were unstoppable before Xmas by being relentless and quick. Teams (including them) couldn't deal with it.

I have no idea what has happened, but we have lost all of that threat.

exactly what I think. The pace and relentlessness of our attack pre Christmas was tearing teams to pieces.

now we are slow and cumbersome and predictable.

OP, you do realise in all likelihood the game would have ended 0-0 had your wishes been granted.
It’s easy to sit and analyse passing movements from the comfort of your chair with hours to pour over it if you like. Split second decisions are required in the heat of the moment.
You’ll hardly watch a game without an “obvious” passes being missed.

The OP isn't talking about a single passage of play, he's using it as an example of what I actually agree has been a big part of our issue since the break. If we'd done what the OP said then no maybe we don't score in this instance, but we'd be creating far more chances and likely would be putting more past teams on the whole.

And while no we shouldn't expect the team to spot every perfect pass, the first thought for them should be to look for ones like the OP points out. We were doing this exceptionally well in the first half of the season so we don't need to leave it in the realm of theory; the team have already proven they are capable of it.

The problem just now is because we are so off form everyone wants to play the simple short pass, nobody wants to take responsibility to try and play the ball first time which makes it very easy for teams to reorganise behind the ball.

i would like to see Hagi play more central and for everything to go through him as a playmaker. He is the one player just now that can get his head up and play a forward pass.

Next time we play watch Hagi, he is always moving into the pockets of space constantly. Problem is what the OP mentioned nobody is willing to try to play the ball into him in these tight areas at times. This was one of the major problems in the second half vs Kilmarnock as we completely bypassed him and the midfield.

Next time we play watch Hagi, he is always moving into the pockets of space constantly. Problem is what the OP mentioned nobody is willing to try to play the ball into him in these tight areas at times. This was one of the major problems in the second half vs Kilmarnock as we completely bypassed him and the midfield.

Look where Arfield is in the picture in the OP though.

I can totally understand why some are frustrated at the slower play in recent weeks, but that move and that moment in it is a poor example of "getting it wrong".
I thought I was the only one seeing that. Arfield is nowhere near where he ends up 3 passes further on.

exactly what I think. The pace and relentlessness of our attack pre Christmas was tearing teams to pieces.

now we are slow and cumbersome and predictable.
We saw in one game, vs hibs away, where they changed shape 4 times and still didnt have an answer.

So fast through the pitch, moving the ball back to front accurately, being brave, taking chances

I think this is one area where we have actually really missed Helander. He is able to pick a pass much better than our other centre-halfs, which gives the midfielders and Kent a bit more confidence to move into space.
Good shout.
It's probably no coincidence that since he has been injured our form has dropped. (Apart from Vs the scum )

I thought I was the only one seeing that. Arfield is nowhere near where he ends up 3 passes further on.

Rangers2.jpg

I put the sequence in the op as Davis - Jack - Davis - Katic - Hagi - Arfield. This screenshot is when Davis has the ball the first time, before Jack has it in the op screenshot. Arfield is in position now to make that run between the left back and the centre half. If the ball is played into Hagi now, he can turn and has the option to slip in Kent, Morelos or Arfield. Instead, Hagi has to come further from goal, we play 3 extra passes and eventually score a good goal. But the bigger point is about playing forward quicker when the man is in space.

Back