The slowest strike partnership in football history

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Remember when Walter paired Velicka and Boyd up front for a few games? Feck me that was hard to watch, two strikers who couldn’t really do anything other than finish and always looked like they were wading through treacle wae an anchor tied to them. I think injuries meant options were limited at the time but I still thought it was such an odd pairing, but in the end it was vintage Walter because ultimately it got the job done, as Walter teams generally always did.

That was a high octane strike force.

James Beattie made Boyd look like an Olympic level sprinter. Think it was his debut against Motherwell he went through on goal with a 10 yard head start and the defender caught him!

Couldn’t stand him, god he was awful

de Boer and Amato weren't exactly blessed with pace but they more than made up for it with their movement and guile in possession.

I like threads like this-I hope those with poor memories and the under 35s who continually criticise the level of the team read them and realise that our successful teams of the past weren’t reminiscent of Guardiolas Barcelona and swept all aside.

Cos they fucking act like it.

I like threads like this-I hope those with poor memories and the under 35s who continually criticise the level of the team read them and realise that our successful teams of the past weren’t reminiscent of Guardiolas Barcelona and swept all aside.

Cos they fucking act like it.

It’s crazy when you think about it, people used to whinge about Walters teams regularly, all the while we were winning trophy after trophy. I know the style of play was tough to watch at times but it goes to show how spoiled a lot had become.

Last edited:
Jesus, I forgot about jon daly. Him and Sandaza? Can't mind what Sandaza was even like as a player, his face gave me nightmares.

It’s crazy when you think about it, people used to whinge about Walters teams regularly, all the while we were winning trophy after trophy. I know the still of play was tough to watch at times but it goes to show how spoiled a lot had become.

Walter's quote about putting Rangers first and it's the only time being second is acceptable is a rarely quoted one, but sums the great man up perfectly.
He just got it. Rangers exist to win trophies.

He is by far my biggest disappointment in a signing as I was delighted that we signed him, it didn’t take long to see his legs were shot.

i dont think he'd feature in my top 20 signings for us who turned out disappointing to be honest

Not for Rangers, but I remember Hibs coming to Ibrox with Darren Jackson and Evans (I think - ginger lad?) up front. You'd think the pitch was wet tar looking at that pair.

Sorry in advance. John daly in the challenge cup final against raith. He literally couldn’t run.

Chesney thought Boyd and Scott MacDonald were going to get him into the EPL with Middlesbrough.

I feel like Velika and Boyd both scored during the same game (Motherwell?). The ball broke to Boyd about 30 yards out and he just leathered it past their goalie.

James Beattie made Boyd look like an Olympic level sprinter. Think it was his debut against Motherwell he went through on goal with a 10 yard head start and the defender caught him!
I remember that. There was a collective “holy %^*&” all around me and people turning and looking at each other in disbelief.

Back