The Sons of the Sandwich Islands

I served my apprenticeship in Mirrlees Watson, it had merged with A & W Smith and was still in the same area, corner of west street & cook street. Was asked at the interview if i was a member of any organisations, " like the BB ".
I believe these guys were in the Scotland Street Iron Works. We you ever in that building?

I served my apprenticeship in Mirrlees Watson, it had merged with A & W Smith and was still in the same area, corner of west street & cook street. Was asked at the interview if i was a member of any organisations, " like the BB ".
My old man got asked the same question when he joined Yarrows as an apprentice.

Imagine leaving Hawaii and ending up in an Ironworks in Victorian Glasgow.

Poor bastards.

Brett Harte, American Consul to Glasgow in the 1880's had a rather grim view of the city.

"I cannot help feeling that I am living by gaslight in a damp cellar with an occasional whiff from a drain, from a coal heap, from a mouldy potato bin, and from a dirty washtub. That is Glasgow to me, and that is all it has ever been since I have been here."

Brett Harte, American Consul to Glasgow in the 1880's had a rather grim view of the city.

"I cannot help feeling that I am living by gaslight in a damp cellar with an occasional whiff from a drain, from a coal heap, from a mouldy potato bin, and from a dirty washtub. That is Glasgow to me, and that is all it has ever been since I have been here."
Still is in a lot of celtic households

We won't see this in the tourist brochures, will we :)

The Sons of the Sandwich Islands
That is a fantastic post.
Tremendous post and research. well done both for bringing this to everyone.

Brett Harte what a name

Goodness what a contrast, Hawaii to Glasgow in the 1880's, talk about a culture shock, brave young men without a doubt. Great wee article dw.

My first interview for an NHS job at 17, when I said my main hobby was watching football, I was asked which team, I got the job. :cool:

Back